Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
1928 wood restoration questions

i am currently restoring a 1928 m2 and there is a bunch of wood rot,some not usable as templates.how do i find out what kind or wood was original and is there such a thing as plans i could acquire.if anybody could help with info would be greatly appreciated.

Where Are You From? vancouver b.c. canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

Re: 1928 wood restoration questions

Hi Steve
I would say that the majority of the time Ash wood was used, but I know with my restoration I used Oak since it's hard for me to get Ash down here in the South. But you should have no problem up in you neck of the woods. As far as I know there are no real plans and I'm not aware of anybody that has made patterns for the M2 but there are some excellent books as a matter of fact there is one on Ebay that shows antique car wood construction. I can take pictures of my wood inside since it is not covered up yet to show you how it is placed etc. It will have to wait till I come back from Lancaster this week.

Where Are You From? Oviedo (near Orlando) Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 dr

Re: 1928 wood restoration questions

Steve,

What body type is your M-2 that you are restoring?...I did save the old wood from an M-4 coupe that I re-wooded last winter...The M-2, M-4, and the M-40 all have the same 107" wheel base and I know the wood in the M-4 is the same as the 40 but an not sure about the M-2....Anyway, if you are in Vancover, BC you are only a long day trip from most of us members in Washington, Oregon or Idaho...You might look in the roster and make a few calls maybe someone else has saved his old wood and or could bring it up to Vancover at next years national meet.
Bill

Where Are You From? Yuma, AZ / Leavenworth, WA

Do You own a car built by Durant? '23 A-22 touring / 29 M40 Coupe

The Durant Motors Automobile Club