Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
35 mph+ bucking and performance failure - Thoughts needed

Hello Members

Have done about 5 100+ miles trips this summer, plus multiple 10 / 25 miles jaunts, so far..

Runs like a dream, climbs the Peace River hills and down the road steady eddy, at 32 - 33 mph.
Can get it up to 38-40 mph easily enough but after about a 1/4 mile or so it starts to buck and fail on power.

Letting off on gas, for a moment, and then repressing gas, she sputters, kicks in and gets me back to 32 - 34 mph comfortably.

This car had a Ford Zenith 2b carburator installed in the 30's and I will keep that carb as that is this car's evolution.
The carb has been rebuilt.
The jet fuel valve (for those who understand) is used as such:
1/4 turn open idling
3/4 turn open for around town
1 and 3/4 turns open for the hiway and hills, (could be 2 and 3/4 turns on 5 mile 4% grade out of Peace River Valley.

I admit to .... quite rarely but after sputtering out at 40 MPH, it may 'CARBURATOR" backfire once or twice... before recuperating itself.

Opening or closing the jet valve a 1/2 or full turn at sputtering time does not change the situation. Neither does advancing or retarding the spark a little.

I must back off gas, drop 10 mph or so and then the engine kicks back in... and gets me back to 32 - 34 mph comfortably.

Just a note (could this be related ???):
Leaving the car idling, it just putts and putts ... but every 5, 10, or 15 minutes or so, it MAY.. idle itself down and sort of sputter, but it stays alive. Just leaving be (30 secs or 1 or so minute), the engine re-picks up to its correct idle.

PS
I have decided that I need a passenger to handle the backwaving to waving passer-byers.

appreciating any advice...

guy

Where Are You From? Peace River Alberta

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 Touring M

Re: 35 mph+ bucking and performance failure - Thoughts needed

Hey Guy, when your 80+ years old I bet you cough and sputter a bit too. Go easy on the old gal as she's had a lot of road under her tires since her birth. Seriously sounds like a fuel feed problem if you timing and points are all adjusted right. Does adjusting the spark or throttle lever change anything?

Where Are You From? Oviedo (near Orlando) Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 dr

Guy,
I agree with Mike this sounds like a classic Fuel Feed problem. The Fuel flow is just not keeping up at Speed or over Time! Your Engine is running out of gas, hence the backfiring (very lean), in ability to maintain speed, or keep a long idle, etc.

I first would look for a "dirty" filter from rust or debris in your tank(s) if you are running a filter (you should). 2nd the carb may now have dirt (again!) in it. If all are clean then I would Overhaul the gravity/ vacume fuel tank system (problem is there).

As said on an earlier post, a small electric fuel pump with a flow-meter set to a low setting (2-3psi)may cure your problem, and make your car run like a champ!!

Sorry for no answer to this or other's questions earlier. I have been busy with a new job, multiple car work jobs, and very sick elderly Mother's.

Hope this helps you. Lance

Where Are You From? Niceville, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? "New" 28 Locomobile 8-70, 25 Loco JR-8 Brougham, 26 Loco JR-8 Sedan, and JR-8 Roadster project, 30 Durant 610 Deluxe Sedan

check for a loose condenser in the distributor.that was my problem.

Where Are You From? victoria bc

Do You own a car built by Durant? 26 star 6cyl

Try running without your gas cap. The vent on it could be partialy clogged. At high speed there would be an increasing vacuum in the tank that would cut off fuel flow.

I had a similar problem with the car dying after driving it for a while. By the time I opened the hood, the fuel would flow and the car would start.

I've had no trouble with the vacuum fuel pump on my Star but have had problems with several electric pumps.

Where Are You From? North of San Francisco

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star

The Durant Motors Automobile Club