Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
6 volt ignition

we cannot get the coil to fire as it should. We have got voltage all over and have triple checked everything-we think!!
Do any of you have any ideas that may lead us to something we have overlooked?
someone is bound to be able to shed some light on this. We just got the car, it started when it came off the truck. However we cannot get it to crank again. Gas is good Bat., wiring??? ect...
Thanks to all!
Good luck with your projects.
Dave & James

Where Are You From? Kentucky

Do You own a car built by Durant? my friend does

Re: 6 volt ignition

Hi James........

Narrow down your problem first. If you have voltage everywhere, do you get any spark when you hot wire the coil?

Maybe the condenser if the problem is intermittent.

Have the points closed up or too far apart?

Just some of the first things I would check.

Frank ---

Where Are You From? Hookstown, Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? 17 Durant & Star cars & a Durant Dort buggy (one horse power)

Like Frank lets talk about where you have 6 volt is it at the coil with the switch on? What is the ohms on the coil? Then check the points

Where Are You From? Utah

Do You own a car built by Durant? '29 M4

Thanks for the quick replies.
Here is the LD.
new coil, set gap on points but unsure as to proper gap.?
all new plugs, wires cap rotor button.
We were getting a spark then nada-.
Battery checked at NAPA- Good.
coil is NOT giving a spark!! **** if I can pin point the problem unless like you suggest it is the condensor, I do believe Dave replaced it though, if not we will..
It its all original setup not necessarily parts.

Where Are You From? ky

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

If you are getting spark one minute then nothing check to see if your dist and or breaker plate is getting a good ground, also see if your dist shaft bushing may be getting worn by moving the shaft, if so try adjusting the points a little closer and see if this makes a difference....Just a couple more thoughts.

Bill

Where Are You From? Yuma, AZ / Leavenworth, WA

Do You own a car built by Durant? '23 A-22 touring / 29 M40 Coupe

OK James.....

Best way to narrow down the problem is to eliminate components.

First step, bypass the ignition switch,remove the wire from ignition switch at the coil and run a hot wire to the coil. Check for spark. If now it works the switch is bad.

Next step, remove hot wire from coil, pull high tension lead from dist cap. Carefully holding coil wire (high tension wire) near a good ground, quickly touch hot wire to coil, if you have spark the coil is good. Problem is in distributor.

As Bill said be sure ground wire is making good contact in Distributor.

The points act as a switch to turn the 6 volt ground lead to coil on and off producing a spark. A quick gap on points is the thickness of a match book (remember those) or business card.

Keep us posted on your progress.....

Frank ---

Where Are You From? Hookstown, Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? 17 Durant & Star cars & a Durant Dort buggy (one horse power)

Disconnect the large wire from the coil to the center of the distributer. snap the points and see if a spark is thrown off the coil wire. [Hold it about 1/8 inch from the engine block. Use rubber or plastic -handled tool to hold it.] If not, disconnect the small wire from the coil to the distributer and take a wire grounded to the engine and scrape it across the coil screw threads. Should throw a spark. If not, borrow another coil. It is very important that the small wire going into the distributer is not shorting out nor some part of the point set. In some cases, if you leave the ignition on for too long, the points will get hot enough to melt some part which interupts the current. Then you need new point set.

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

Hi James,
Try grounding the distributor with a wire to the block.That way you know that the distributor has a good ground.
"There is always something the last place you look".Murphy's Law.
Let us know what you find.
Don

Where Are You From? Bakersfield,Ca.

Do You own a car built by Durant? Streetable single seat speedster from a 25 Star high school project

Hi James have you fixed the problem????? If yes tell us what is was

Where Are You From? Utah

Do You own a car built by Durant? '29 M4

No, not yet guys we are limited on our time to work on it as we have other obligations. However, all the info you all have sentus is very helpful and we are going to every detail as we can. I am an electronic/computer tech. and this is on of those times when many inputs are better than just one as one can burn themselves out on it if you let it get to ya!! I'm sure all of you can relate. No matter how much you think you know, you are always learning and re-learning or you go brain dead .
I'm crispy at this point, HA!

Where Are You From? ky

Do You own a car built by Durant? Friends

The Durant Motors Automobile Club