Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lance Haynes Progress

Some of you may know that Lance Haynes was diagnosed with Oral Cancer. Here is a note from Lance's girl friend regarding his condition.

Friday, July 30, 2010 7:10 PM, PDT

Hello All, this is Erica, Lance's girlfriend. He survived the 11 hour surgery yesterday and is now resting relatively comfortably in the ICU. When he graduates from the ICU he will be moved to a regular room. He is at Scripps Green in La Jolla, but we are presently limiting visitors to immediate family and his Pastor until he gets in to a regular room. As he is trached etc, and unable to speak for the immediate future, we are trying to keep him calm and still, for all of you who know him you understand that this is not an easy task!

Should any one be inclined, he would prefer, that in lieu of flowers etc donations be made to Kiwanis International in his name.

Thanks to you all for your prayers and thoughts.

Erica Silver

It would be nice to send Lance a get well card, I'm sure that will help cheer him up after he gets back home. If you are so inclined, his mailing address is:

4672 Mt. Gaywas Drive
San Diego, CA 92117

Rick

Re: Lance Haynes Progress

hello erica
ive been in the durant club for quite awhile now,ive met and talked to lance several times at the san diego swapmeet,i can just imagine how hard it is to hold him down,that man has enought energy for 3 men,i know he will be alright,the big man up stairs watches over special people,and lance is special to all who have met him,tell him good luck an get well to many people rely on his energy an smile
dave

Where Are You From? so cal

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1931 devaux

For those of you that are not aware, here is a link to a website that provide progress info about Lance.

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/lancehaynes/guestbook

Now you may have to create ID and password in order to view the site.

charlie

Where Are You From? NJ CA HI

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes three of them

As many of you know, I am a member of the San Diego Region of AACA, and I received the following in an email earlier today. The "I" within the quotes is from the sender and not me.

"I went to see Lance yesterday expecting to find him in the ICU but lo and behold, he was in his own private room, talking a blue streak. After a nearly 12 hour surgery, the doctors were very surprised that he could be out of intensive care after 5 days, and be talking !!!

Of course, the residual anesthetic from the long surgery is probably still in effect and he will be in a great deal more pain soon but for now he looks bright and chipper and says to tell everyone, "I will be back!!!"

Although much of his jaw was replaced with metal due to the cancer which has spread considerably now, it looks very good, only a little swelling.

I am sure he would appreciate cards and notes or even phone calls. He is in room 306 at Green Hospital. (For you inlanders, that's the hospital overlooking the Torrey Pines Golf Course)."

I am in San Diego until next week, and I plan on seeing Lance before we depart. I will post again after I visit. If there is anything that anyone wants me to let Lance know, please send me an email. Thanks

Charlie

Hi All......

If you follow the link that Charlie posted to Lance's site you can post a note in his guest book.

I bet Lance would really enjoy a note of encouragement from his fellow "Durantonians".

Please let him know you are think of him......

Frank ---

Where Are You From? Hookstown, Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? 17 Durant & Star cars & a Durant Dort buggy (one horse power)

As Frank indicated follow the link to Lance's site and you can post a comment. Also, once you are there click on "Journal" there are photos of Lance taken today, and you will get info on his progress as well.

Lance sent me an email this evening, he may be released from the hospital in the middle of next week.

We will visit before we depart San Diego and let everyone know how he is doing.

Peg and I went to see Lance this morning. All things considered, he looks good. While the surgery took a good part of his lower jaw, that has not stopped him from talking. Which is a good thing! He is in good spirits and appreciates having visitors. So if you are local, and have a few minutes I am sure he would appreciate a visit. (Room 307W)

Do not think he will be released from the hospital this week. He will need a lot of care when they are ready to release him.

He has a great view, NOT! While he is on the third floor, it is the floor of entry from the parking lot, and his view is of the roof of the second floor. I guess if he is bored he can count the rocks on the roof.

There is no internet access in the hospital, so I took his laptop back to his home today. I think that he can read/write email from his blackberry.

Charlie and Peg.

Here is a recent picture of Lance that Charlie sent me.

Lance was released from the hospital on Tuesday.

The following was copied from a post Lance made on his surgery website.

""Hello everyone. I was allowed to come home this Tuesday chauffeuring requests and tons of paper work and trying to stay alive. This is no cake walk. Having the very long and extensive surgery and most of my jaw is now titanium trying to attach I guess and pain has been really overcoming. The Vicodin that is to knock the pain down starting giving me a lot of breathing trouble so I tried some old Ibuprofen but read that is not good with aspirin that they have me on 325 mg pill a day. So Tuesday my son Todd will take me to see the surgeon Dr. Gaylis at Scripps Green. I almost collapsed in Rite Aid today buying drugs, Power Aid drinks, cream of rice soup and more. I guess I am not ready to be walking that much. These pain killers really stop one up.

Anyway I just want to thank each one of my family and friends for all your prayers and visits and phone calls (I don't sound too hot no bottom teeth) and get well cards. You folks along with almighty God are why I am still here and healing up. I sure appreciate and love you all.
Faithfully Lance""

Get well soon Lance.

Charlie

way to go lance..glad to see the positive flow. don't forget to stock up on stool softeners to combat the effects of the pain killers...they are good hole cementers...lol....keep getting better and remember to smile....a platinum smile is a big ticket item so you might as well show it off....regards, gary k

Where Are You From? penna

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1931 DURANT 6-14 COACH, 1925 STAR ROADSTER

Lance is back in the hospital. You can go to:
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/lancehaynes/guestbook
and read the latest information.

charlie

The Durant Motors Automobile Club