Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
noise in my A22 engine

3 weeks ago went to a car show, when I drove in to our Drive way I heard a noise sound to me like a rod nock.
Today the person that has worked on my Durant said that he had pulled the oil pan looking to see what he could see. Says he I don't know how to work on this engine not sure where to start. (when I heard the noise it was at slow speed/idol in drive way not while on the road at 35 plus mph.) We need some suggeston's on what to look for (shims,etc.) When I drove the Durant into his garage you could really hear the noise sound off the grages walls.
Two of the local Men that had knowlage of the A22 engine, one has passed and the other has Cancer and is in his late 80's. Pleas forgive the spelling it late and I am frustrated.

Where Are You From? Muskegon, MI

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Durant A22 four dr. sedan

Re: noise in my A22 engine

If you got the oil pan off you can take each rod loose and then use plastic gauge and toqure the rod back down and then removew the cap and check it to see if it is out of specs

Where Are You From? Colorado

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

Re: noise in my A22 engine

Most mechanics would have used their stethoscope to identify the source of the knock. It could be anything from loose flywheel screws to partially broken timing chain. Some of the later engines had loose front pulleys that could knock. If it is related to a cylinder, you could short out one spark plug at a time and find which one is "different". Maybe your "knock" is just a leaking exhaust gasket.

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

The Durant Motors Automobile Club