Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Exhaust Manifold

On the manifold I have for my 25 Star Model F Coach the exhaust pipe is at the front of the engine. My parts book, dated Dec 1926, shows a manifold with the exhaust at the rear. My repair manual, Jan 1929, in most of the pictures shows the exhaust pipe at the rear, except on the lube chart on the cars with four-wheel brakes it is at the front and with two-wheel brakes I can’t tell if it is at the front or rear. I will be getting my engine back from the machine shop and would like to have the correct manifold. Any thought on what is correct? Thanks for any help.

Where Are You From? Ut

Do You own a car built by Durant? 25 Star

Re: Exhaust Manifold

Hi Eliot.....

Usually the earlier cars have the rear exhaust and the later have front outlet manifolds.

The key word here is usually. In the Durant world it has more to do with what they had at the time.

If your car has the later steering box, and rubber motor mounts it would have the front outlet.

The solid mounted engine with the earlier steering (box toward the front) has the rear outlet.

My 1926 Star touring has all the early features, my 1926 Star Roadster has all the later features.

Maybe Don S. or Bob K. can pin it down further.......

Frank ---

Where Are You From? Hookstown, Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? 17 Durant & Star cars & a Durant Dort buggy (one horse power)

Re: Exhaust Manifold

Frank is mucho correct, (I'm getting in my Mexican lesson for today).
It has been my observation that all Stars used a rear discharge exhaust manifold until mid 1927 when the change to rubber engine mounts necessitated a relocation of the steering box to the side frame rail.
You may have a later Durant W5 transplanted in your car. Show some pics of the right side of the engine and describe the engine data plate.

Where Are You From? Texarkana, Tex

The Durant Motors Automobile Club