Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What type of car is this?

Where Are You From? Templeton MA

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 6-63 Durant

Re: What type of car is this?

Here you are

Those darn letters "img" have to be lower case.

Intersting looking car.

Thanks Rick for the image correction.
The pic was taken in our town of Templeton MA
no date, but others were 1902-1910 or so....
No Durant images, but this one caught my eye.

Where Are You From? Templeton MA

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 6-63 Durant

I'll bet that car must have cost a pretty penny back in the day.

Looks like a home-made race car. Or maybe it was just an early hotrod. The demountable rims don't look reliable enough for racing. Hard to tell what it originated as. It was probably built pre-1911 with the righthand controls. Looks like a short engine, probably 4 cylinder. Smallish radiator, so low horsepower. Looks like a plywood boat-tail. The shielding under the engine and tranny to cut wind resistance was fairly advanced. A lot of the racing back then was on lumber race track ovals. Perhaps the shield was to catch leaking oil and keep it off the wood. I wouldn't think dirt racing would need it. I heard stories from old-timers about the board track where Mpls-St Paul airport is now located. They claimed that sometimes a board would come loose and stick up and ram the radiator.

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

The Durant Motors Automobile Club