Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ugh ...making oil again .. head gasket

Well I replaced head gasket about 3 weeks (or 300 miles) ago....

Followed all directives, as received in previous thread on subject, and (after consistent checking) head bolts were holding 70 lbs no problem prior to last weekend. Last weekend the engine did 200 miles (including hills) with no problems.

Yesterday, on the way to the Harmon Valley Rodeo (40 miles), I noticed heating up and stopped and checked water.. No overheating involved as I was being diligent in watching temp. A gallon or so was needed and the oil needle (on float in pan) was rising.

I hobbled home.......

I have takeen the head off again and can see evidence of water getting into my 3rd cylinder. Gasket is not damaged but I feel I can see where water was passing.

I have checked the head with a straight edge and a feeler gauge and it shows no worpage.

My questions :
The original head gasket I took out of this engine seemed to be steel with inside padding.
The replacement gaskets I have been getting are coppper with inside padding.

Is there a distinct difference between these two types of head gaskets?

(I want to try putting back original steel, it was not damaged in engine teardown.)

Next, is 70 lbs my desired torque ?

Well, as you see, I am searching ????

All help appreciated

Guy

Where Are You From? Peace River Alberta

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 Touring W5

Re: Ugh ...making oil again .. head gasket

Howdy Guy!
My take on gaskets and torques is that it is OK to reuse a gasket if it is still flat and undamaged and mating surfaces are perfectly clean and true.
Re-torquing should not be required if all threads are in perfect shape. If you have an instance of a stud "losing torque" it just means something is striping.
Now, if water is entering the combustion chamber then air is also entering the "water chamber" and you will definitely see bubbles in the radiator filler neck.
If not, water must be entering the oil somewhere else.
Clean the mating surfaces again, use a new gasket, assemble, and torque to the high end and run. I have heard of spraying a head gasket with silver paint but I'm not sure what benefit that would accomplish. Later. if you notice any "lost torque", remove all cylinder head studs, heli coil all the stud holes and replace studs and nuts.

Where Are You From? Texarkana, Tex

Re: Ugh ...making oil again .. head gasket

Hi Guy.....

Since you have replaced the head gasket a couple times, is it possible there is a crack in the block??

Don's suggestion to look for bubbles in the radiator is a good indication of a bad head gasket.

I'm wondering if you have a crack that opens up when hot and puts water in the oil.

Maybe it's time to tear this thing down and take it to a machine shop to check for cracks?

Just my .02 cents worth........

Frank ---

Where Are You From? Hookstown, Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? 17 Durant & Star cars & a Durant Dort buggy (one horse power)

Ha ... I have learned about block stitching !!!

Well found a hole in the block allowing water into the oil.... never was a head gasket problem.

On inside of block just between the 3rd and 4th cylinder was a circular hole in the block (seems that flakes of rust have been on and off the hole and thus giving me my intermittent water loss etc).

The hole could be seen from the top, through a water jacket, of the unheaded block and from bottom where valves meet the block.

AN old timer machinist came by and examined the situation... said it was fixable....

long drill to drill out hole from the top...
tap to thread from the bottom....
then A CAST IRON TAPERED PLUG..to screw in snuggly.

Ha the block is fixed....

Thanks Don and Frank, you boys are always good at "kick starting" me

Did about 100 miles, today, on plugged block today things ran well with no water loss.. steady eddy at 35 mph...feels like the steady throb and low rev of a marine engine....

regards

guy

Where Are You From? Peace River AB

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 W5

Re: Ha ... I have learned about block stitching !!!

Hallelujah!!!!
It's always a good feeling when you solve a problem like this. We'll probably be seeing more of this sort of failure as our engines are passing the 90 year mark.
Matter of fact, Methinks this calls for you to write this up as a story in the Durant Partner along with the other problems you have encountered and what you did to fix them.

Where Are You From? Texarkana, Tex

Re: Ha ... I have learned about block stitching !!!

Hi Guy.....

Glad you found the problem.

"Stitching" a block is becoming a lost art. It's surprising what can be fixed with this method.

I agree with Don. Your quest in discovering and fixing the problems would make a great story for the Partner.

This is just the kind of article our members are looking for.

Only a small percentage of the DMAC members are on the forum. So most have never seen the posts here.

Put together a story and send it to Carol. She is a great editor and will put the finishing touches on the story.

Now enjoy your car with the feeling that you fixed it!!

Frank ---

Where Are You From? Hookstown, Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? 17 Durant & Star cars & a Durant Dort buggy (one horse power)

The Durant Motors Automobile Club