Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
fender lights

hello everyone
my 1932 devaux has had fender lights in the past,over the years theyve gotten damaged or removed for some reason,my question is where they the same as the late durants,does any body have a picture of a durant fender light, would like to see the lens,my h/lamps are stabilite model b 934,if any body has fender lights i would be intrested
thanks dave

Where Are You From? so cal

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1931 devaux

Re: fender lights

Hi Dave....

Only my 617 Deluxe has fender lights, but it seems most Canadian cars have them.

Here are a couple pictures from the Guelph meet. Hope these help.

Frank

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Where Are You From? Hookstown, Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? 17 Durant & Star cars & a Durant Dort buggy (one horse power)

Hi Dave,
We carry Stabilite fender lenses which would be the proper ones for your car. Canadian durants used Depress Beam pattern as Frank has showed you. But the US ones used Stabilite .
I have them in 3 11/16" OD with two wide notches 90 and 270. They have the same pattern as the headlights but not as detailed. Check your overall dimension to see if this size will work for you.

Where Are You From? S. Vermont

Do You own a car built by Durant? many :)

Nope Frank. Special edition 614 and deluxe cars had fender lights. Standard had no fender lights. Both US and Canada used Depress Beam that took 3 x 2 2/4 #1179 lenses. Try to find any if you can. Only been 2 on Ebay in 5 years. Still looking for one lense. Most people give up and put plastic instead. May be way off but I think Dominion used fender lights as standard equipment. I know I have seen many 1930's and few have the lights. Reflectors in main headlights have the parking light instead.

Got four 3 inch lenses with Glolight design of the 1930 off ebay as a hopeful but they are shade too big. Almost seems like our #1179 were made only for Durant / Dominion cars.

Very poorly made lights and pots fell off them. I still have no idea what holds the pot to the light bulb standard. No screws, bolts or welds.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan

Hey Norm the Glo-light parking light lense like you describe is used on my Model 65 which had the glo-light headlights. The lights are used on the cowl. Also the model 75 had them. Don't know what other years after used them. Glo-lights are very very hard to find these days.

Where Are You From? Oviedo (near Orlando) Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 dr

Hi Norm,
What is the inside dimension of the Durant DB fender lights? 2 1/4 or 2 1/2?
never had a reply from dave enrico on the DeVaux Stabilite pattern fender light dimensions..the HL lens books very rarely list the cowl or fender light numbers. As they were not always made by CM Hall or the other major distributors. Third party companies would make the small glass and mimic the HL pattern. The Glolite lens pattern was also used for Twilite pattern equipt cars.
you never know, I may have them both :)

Where Are You From? Southern VT

My apologies Carol .. darned PC can't spell and makes other small mistakes. Honestly its not me .. ya right. I'm sure I checked with you before and you had no such lense.

Lets try again. CM Hall Depress Beam 3 x 2 3/4 #1179.

Yes Lance I know the 28 / 29 have cowl lamps and lenses are bigger. Steve has them on his 60. 65 and 75 had two sizes 3 1/2 and 4 1/2. My parts catalogue shows different sizes for 40, 60, 63 with flat lense or convex lense. Seems 66 and 70 has its own lenses. Stupid Co and not one size fits all. Our 30's style can be chromed or black painted pots with and without peaks on the doors. 617 had its own lights and could have chromed foot or black enamel foot.

In the 60's I bought a set of painted and chromed at a flea market and wondered why the painted type and if an error. Of course no internet or anyone to ask. Now I see they were both correct. Wish I still had the lights. Put the chromed set on my old 30 Special 614 as I only had stumps and the lad I sold the car to in the 70's has lost both pots again plus a pile of parts. Our lenses are just as scarce as you say yours are.

Lad put 6 of the 3 inch lenses on Ebay and I think I paid $1.50 each for 4 to see if they might work. The Ford A cowl lense clips work on our fender lenses. Bought two new sets at Stirling this year for a couple of bucks to try. Its the inner part of the lense that won't fit the door opening (2 3/4 part) Lense just slides around sort of half in. Its like the lense might be 2 13/16 inner part so won't sit in the door opening.

Funny as 1930 Durant Motors headlights are Glolight and bigger lights to our 31 / 33 Dominion cars Depress Beam smaller lights, yet 30 - 32 had Depress Beam fender lights if they came with fender lights in 1930. Easier to find reflectors with parking lights than one bulb reflectors. Guess it makes sense as few cars had fender lights, which makes it so hard to find the fender lights and lenses.

Sorry Mike .. Forum wouldn't allow correction of your name in my posting like it says we have 59 min to do. Not the 1st time it doesn't allow that.

HAY GUYS
I DONT KNOW WHAT THE FENER LIGHTS LOOKED LIKE THERE LONG GONE JUST A SQUARE HOLE,THE HEAD LAMPS ARE STABILITE MODEL B934,I DONT KNOW IF THERE ROUND OR THE ONES THAT LOOK LIKE A CAB LIGHT OR MOTORCYCLE FRONT FENDER LIGHT,APPRECIATE ALL THE INFO,SO FAR I HAVE ONLY SEEN I OTHER DEVAUX WITH THE LIGHTS,BUT THEY HAD BEEN TAKEN OFF AN ONLY THE SQUARE HOLE REMAINED, THANKS FOR THE INFO DAVE

Where Are You From? so cal

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1931 devaux

"Funny as 1930 Durant Motors headlights are Glolight and bigger lights to our 31 / 33 Dominion cars Depress Beam smaller lights"

Norm, the headlights were large because the US had very strict laws for the brightness lights as time went on. More and more cars on the roads with drivers that could not see. Many lens brands (patterns) were not allowed legally. This was a problem from the transformation from gas lights, and there were hundreds of people who sold their lenses in hope to magnify the light. By the 1930s there were many less legal brands available.
Somewhere online I read an old newspaper article about the brands that were deemed legal.
Legalite Ad

Where Are You From? S. Vermont

Hi Carol .. another whistle stop home to pay bills etc and I washed my camera in the basket of dirty clothing. Not a happy camper presently.

Not talking much difference in lense sizes. 1930 Glolight 944 is 9 7 /16 lense and 1931 - 33 Depress Beam 11471 is 9 5/16. Actually 1933 is curved lense and not flat with different number that escapes me presently. I have a set of the 1933 lense's off a 633 Durant but size is still 9 5/16.

Funny part is the fender lights are Depress Beam 1930 - 32 and not Glolight to match the headlight lenses. Noted that on my 1930 in the 60's. Guess I will have the reverse with the 32. Depress Beam headlight lenses and Glolight fender lenses until I can find one lense. ha ha.

Was handy having my 31 Chevy canopy express truck using same Glolight lenses as the 30 Durant in the 60's and a pile of spare lenses back then.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club