Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Roofing instalation

I am about ready to put the roofing on my car. Is there any special trick I should maybe know before I start . would hate to screw it up at this stage. I do know it should be hot out so the material will strech tight and stay that way. It is the rubber type material. Forget what it is called. Any info is appreciated. Thanks
Ken
P S --think its called cobra

Where Are You From? Kamloops B C Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 durant model 614 deluxe rumble seat coupe

Re: Roofing instalation

I'm no expert and I'm sure someone more experienced will chime in, but I've heard like you said it should be done in the sun/heat. I've heard some people staple or nail 2/4's to the sides to let the piece drape over the side and let it sit for awhile to stretch out. I've also heard you start from the front when you start nailing and work back. What say ye all?

Where Are You From? Oviedo (near Orlando) Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 dr

I started from the centers and worked to the corners.
I made a mistake by driving the nails on the sides too deep and the resulting dimples show above the drip rail. I didn't notice this until I got my cataracts fixed, but my restoration is a 100 footer so I live with it.

Where Are You From? Cerritos CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 D 63 4 door

Hi Ken.....

All good suggestions. The idea of making an oversize 2 x 4 framework is a good way to get an even stretch for the roof material.

Pick up any good Model A Ford restoration book and you will find detailed instructions for the top insert installation. Not a difficult job, just requires some patience.

Frank ---

Where Are You From? Hookstown, Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? 17 Durant & Star cars and a Durant-Dort buggy (one horse power)

The Durant Motors Automobile Club