Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Durant Hotel

As some of you know, the Durant Hotel in Flint Michigan has undergone a renovation and restoration. The Flint Chamber of Commerce has invited the DMAC to display some Durant vehicles in front of the hotel during the "Back to the Bricks" car show August 20 & 21 which will also be the Grand Opening of the Hotel. They are very excited about having several of us attend and are working on special arrangements (trailer parking - security - etc.). If you have any interest on attending, E-mail me for more information. WJDV6948@juno.com

Where Are You From? Grand Rapids, Michigan

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star, 1928Durant

Re: Durant Hotel

We are still looking for replies, especially from members in Michigan, Indiana, and Ohio.

Bill
I'm sure some of the Michigan Durantonians would be willing to bring their cars down. If you don't have the last roster I can get some of the names together for you and you can give them a call. We have a good representation of Durants, Flints and Stars in Michigan and it sounds like it would be a great day. Probably be treated like royalty for sure. The history of that place is great and the last time I was up there in 2007 it was a shame to see it had fallen in disrepair. It will be good to see it back. When Billy moved away to Deal NJ and New York he would stay in that hotel when he came back to town to manage the empire and before that also when he headed GM think of all the famous people that would have had meetings, and stayed there. Alfred Sloan, W.P Chrysler and others such as Alfred Champion, maybe Louis Chevrolet etc.

Where Are You From? Oviedo (near Orlando) Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 dr

If anyone else is interested please let me know. At this time we have 5 or 6 cars planning on attending.We have a reserved spot in front of the Durant Hotel.

Bill sounds like you are going to have a great time at the old hotel. Billy stayed there many times when he was visiting from New York and I'm sure many of the famous GM and Durant corporate people had meetings and stayed there. Take plenty of pictures for us. Wished I could be there.

Bill sent me these pictures of the Durant hotel event.
Wow! What a beautiful place it is once again.

Thanks Rick. The 1st picture is the front of the hotel, 2nd is the rear, 3rd is the main lobby, 4th is the ballroom with the original tile floor, 5th is the view from an 8th floor apartment looking at the Back to the bricks car show. The 1st and 2nd floors have been restored to original and the 3rd thru 8th are now 93 apartments. Thanks to all who brought cars.

Hi Bill.....

Great pictures.

Thank you for all the effort in putting this together.

You represented the DMAC very well.

Billy would be proud!!

Frank ---

Where Are You From? Hookstown, Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? 17 Durant & Star cars and a Durant-Dort buggy (one horse power)

Hey Bill
Looks like everyone had a great time and the weather looked good. I saw the building when I was up in Flint in 2007 and it was in terrible abandoned shape. Looks like they did a great job in restoring the old gal. As I said before the history this building has seen in the automobile world. Not only did Billy stay there when he came to town after moving to New York, but also Alfred Sloan, David Buick, Louis Chevrolet and think of others that attended events and meeting there, Walter Chrysler, Albert Champion of the spark plug fame etc. Great to see this old building restored. What are they using the first two floors for? Are these the lobby and meeting rooms? Is it student housing for the college or regular rental apartments for anyone.

Good morning Mike, The entry under the pictures gives a discription. The apartments are for anybody.

More pictures from Bill.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club