Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Top materials & colors.

We have an A-22 Durant-1923. Not a sport model, has no nickel plated trim. It needs a new top. Present one is black leatherette with tan or faded white inside. Was this standard colors or an option? Hope to replace as near original as possible.

Where Are You From? Lansdale, PA

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1927 R Sport Coupe/ 1923 Durant A-22 touring

Re: Top materials & colors.

Hi Ray,

There are a few pictures of tops being assembled, bows being padded ect...Click on our Special Interest then on Lancing Factory 1923 and enlarge the pics and brows around, they are black and white but you can probably get an idea of what they were using in 1923...I think what your car has in the way of topping material (leatherette or the rubberized canvas) is probably correct, I do see some of the cars as having the Kachi colored canvas or close to it...They have several different textured Vinyl topping materials available to replace the leatherett, also if you perfer the canvas look a product called "Stayfast" is also available...I buy most of my goods from the Lebaron Bonney Company / Hampton Coach (lebaronbonny.com )You might call them 1-800-221-5408 and have them send their sample packet of topping materials...You will also need trim, Hidum, Welting and welting tips ect. I usually order a minum of twice the leniar of the top and back when purchacing 60" goods, more is required if you are making a boot or spare tire cover. Hope this helps, Bill

Where Are You From? Leavenworth, WA / Yuma, AZ

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 A-22 Touring / 1929 model 40 Coupe

Re: Top materials & colors.

Thanks Bill. Those Lansing factory pictures were very helpful. Looks to me like the inside was in most cases a lighter color than the outside. Will try LeBaron Bonney. Ray

Where Are You From? Lansdale, PA

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1927 R Sport Coupe/ 1923 Durant A-22 touring

The Durant Motors Automobile Club