Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
OH oh - Water (lots of it) in the oilpan - Help Please

Sirs:

So Did a 120 miles drive yesterday, 3/4 way through it started to overheat.

It certainly was hot and require about 1 gallon of water.. (if not more); I thought it was leaking out of water pump bushing which I allowed for cooling purposes.

But on getting home realized had taken too much water for last 1/4 of my trip.. and noticed : I was making oil.. i.e. floater needle going up and up !!!!)

Head Gasket is where I am thinking...

Anyplace else that I should be looking ???

tx in advance
Guy

Where Are You From? Peace River AB

Do You own a car built by Durant? 26 Model M Touring

Re: OH oh - Water (lots of it) in the oilpan - Help Please

Guy sounds like a head gasket to me also. If and when you replaced your head were you sure it was flat and true. Sometimes these get warped and need to be made sure they are nice and flat before you put the gasket on.

Where Are You From? Oviedo (near Orlando) Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 dr

Guy,
My vote is for the head gasket as well.
After you pull the head off, have it resurfaced again. Then take a look at the head studs as water will work its way up the treads of the studs and into the first opening the water can find. This would be a good time to pull the studs and use a good tread sealant on them before reinstalling.

Next liberally coat the head gasket with a copper gasket sealer, some people recommend silver paint, but I have had better results with copper spray. After installing the head expect to check and recheck the head stud torque several times after driving the car until all of the studs will hold their torque. It’s been my experience that some engines only required that I torque the head 3 or 4 times, but other times I have had to check the toque much, much , more, it just depended on the engine. After replacing the head gasket on my 14L a few months ago, I had to torque the head over 12 times until it held. Don't go crazy as you could strip the treads in the block, but just check it several times to insure that the head gasket is properly compressed.

Rick

Thanks Mike and Rick....

I have been delinquent on the importance of rechecking all head bolts till they are at the reuqired torque and stay there.

I have taken my head to the machine shop and tehy have found a .006 warp... things are to be reshaven.

The head got so hot in my little episode that the paint discolored on the head.

I have gotten copper spray and application instructions.

I double promise to be vigilent on head torques this time around.

Tx again
guy

Guy
Just remember like Rick said, be careful not to over torque when you get your head back and put it on. It will pull the head bolts out of a nice tight seat.

Where Are You From? Oviedo (near Orlando) Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 dr

Guy:

Let me tell you my story.

My engine came out of a machine shop where all the changable parts where replaced and block machined as well as head.
Same problemn as you, an engine that never overheated started to do so and to consume water.
To make it short. The story was that the gasket was asbestus free and modern materials used for gasket require more torque and retorque. Bit by bit had to rise torque to almost 11 kgm, and after using the car during a while, some nuts droped down to six and had to torque them up to eleven again. This procedure took several times with some water leaks in between. Now it stabilized and I do not remove plugs to see if there is water there. Good luck

Ricardo

Where Are You From? Argentina

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes a 1928 M2 Touring

What torque should I be aiming for in my headbolts.

Lance Haynes, last year, directed me to 50 lbs cold, then start and heat engine then go to 70 lbs. Leave overnite, restart and reheat and retorque to 70 lbs.

And I understand about keep checking that torque is ok.

So would someone verify the correctness of 70 lbs as a final torque.

tx guy

In same conditions as mentioned by Lance but bit by bit very slowly and evenly I went to almost 80 foot pounds.

Best regards

Ricardo

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 M2 Touring

The Durant Motors Automobile Club