Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Wheel alignment Question ?

Ignorance requires this question.

First point, my front end is tight, pins, tie rods,etc.

Do i set my 1/8 toe in with the tires on the ground or in the air.

I have about 700 miles on these tires and I can sure tell they are wearing wrongly.

Right now seems I have 7/16 toe in with tires on the ground.
And 1 & 3/16 with tires in the air....

Why the difference ???????

Tx ahead of time
Guy

Where Are You From? Peqace River AB

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 Star Model M Touring

Re: Wheel alignment Question ?

Check the toe in with the car on the ground. You want your car to be in the position it will be in while being driven. For this reason let the car roll forward for a few feet before taking any measurements and after any adjustment let the car roll forward again. Do not use the front brakes to stop the car as this may change the position of the wheels (that is if you have front brakes). The pros have plates that rotate so the tires settle in their normal position. Even if ever thing is new and tight there is still play in the system. One thought for toe in is to take into account this play, and that the tires are actually close to parallel while being driven as the wheels want to go in toe out position as the forces of the road act upon them.. The most accurate measurements would be at the outer most point of the rims, though measuring from the tire tread will be close. A search on wheel alignment would provide a lot more info

Where Are You From? Utah

Do You own a car built by Durant? 25 Star

Re: Wheel alignment Question ?

Another acurate trick for adjusting the toe-in on cars or trucks is to scribe a radial center line on the tires...Jack up your car just off the ground and with regular white chalk turn the tires and chalk a a strip around the approximate center of the tread area, place a jack stand or steady rest just in front of the tires and by placing a screwdriver on the stand and the edge of the screwdriver on the tire between treads, turn the tire and scribe a radial line being certain the line connects...Let your car back on the ground and measure your toe-in from radial line to radial line and importainly at the same height at both the front and back of the tires...This method eliminates any possiability of a bent wheel, bent rim, tire bulge or any run-out of any kind.

Bill

Where Are You From? Leavenworth, Wa / Yuma, AZ

Do You own a car built by Durant? 29 Model 40 Coupe / 23 A-22 Touring

The Durant Motors Automobile Club