Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
General questions about a Star car.

So, here are my curious questions.
I have seen locally a few Star cars for sale, needing restoration of course.
I have a Model T currently, and I am wondering how the Star compares. With more power, and the three speed transmission, are they better able to cope with hills, and heavier loads?
I would imagine the parts for the Stars are much more pricey, and not as available.

I just curious, Thanks.

Christopher

Where Are You From? Beautiful Brentwood Bay, BC

Do You own a car built by Durant? No, but I might like to some day.

Re: General questions about a Star car.

Christopher
Well your going to get some prejudicial answers on this site for sure, but that is why the Star gave the Model T a run for the money. At least the Earlier T's. The 3 speed transmission made it easier to get up some hills and a better transmission also helped. The electric start which many early T's did not have was a plus too. I'm sure that there are people on this forum that own both a T and a Star that can tell you better, but Billy made a good product that came close to the T. Billy just couldn't crank them out as fast. That being said, Star parts are a bit harder to come by and they aren't produced as much as the T. Today you can build a brand new T from all the aftermarket parts and never have an original car. Fenders, Bodies, frames all are manufactured today. But then again do you want to have a car just like thousands of other people do? A Star is a unique car and very few people know what they are or who made them. If you own a Star you will have something everyone does not have, and will be bombarded with question about the car. Everyone knows what a T is and who made it. If I had a choice of a T or a Star I'd take the Star. My two cents worth.

Where Are You From? Oviedo (near Orlando) Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 dr

Hi Christopher....

I have Model T Fords as well as Star and Durant cars.

All are great fun cars. The Stars are a little easier to drive because of the conventional transmission. Neither the Star or T have great brakes ,unless you find a Star made in California They have 4 wheel brakes.

The Star motor is a better engine because it has pressure oiling. These Continental motors lasted a lot longer than the cars.

Parts are available. A lot of Club members have extra stashes of parts and some reproductions are available.

What I like the most about the Star & Durant cars is this Club. We have about 400 members worldwide, and a more helpful & knowledgeable group of Durantonians you will not find.

So I say go for it get yourself a car and join us for the fun of the DMAC. We have local meets and a national meet each year. Our award winning magazine The Durant Partner is published 4 times a year. If you would like a sample copy and membership application, just email me your address and I will send you one.

Good luck with your cars!

Frank ---

Where Are You From? Hookstown, Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? 17 Durant & Star cars & a Durant Dort buggy (one horse power)

Here, here mike and frank are right on the money anyone can own a "T" but just a few drive a Star or Durant the only problem I find is other people think it's a Dodge "but" I love to tell them the story of "Billy". They only 4 durants in Utah my friend JP's '28 M2 and mine '29 M4 and we go to as many car shows as we can to show off.

Where Are You From? UTAH

Do You own a car built by Durant? M4

Thanks for the information. I was pretty curious.
Near me, there have been two Star cars for sale in the past few months. I have to admit, until then, I didn't even know about them! I can see that the controls, and three speed would be an advantage. Sure are great looking too!

Thanks again.

Where Are You From? Beautiful Brentwood Bay, BC

Do You own a car built by Durant? No, but I might like to some day.

hi neighbour
i live just south of you as you know in james bay victoria, give me a call and we will get together great if you were to buy one of the stars.i own the first car i ever drove in 1962 at age of 12 its the same car.send me an email and i,ll give you my phone.
brian boys

Where Are You From? victoria bc

Do You own a car built by Durant? 26 star 6cly

The Durant Motors Automobile Club