Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
W5 tune-up

Where can i find turn-up spec's for a W5 motor like dist advance?

Where Are You From? Utah

Do You own a car built by Durant? M4

Re: W5 tune-up

Select the 'Tech Page' on the left, then click on the "Model 40 Repair Manual", then click on "Part 3".
Keep looking until you get towards the end in the distributor section.
This info will work on all Stars with W4 and W5 engines.

Where Are You From? Texarkana, Tex

Thanks Don but what i am looking for is the degrees of advance on a W5. and what is the full advance?

Where Are You From? Utah

I'm a bit confused by your question. I have an advance lever on the steering column for my W5. When it is at the top, its close to top dead center. Pulling it down, advances the spark so I just fiddle with it until the engine runs well under the conditions at the time. There was a stop at the distributor to limit the amount one could vary the timing but for best results I removed it.

I checked the dwell on mine and it was 29 degrees. I don't know if that is correct or not.

Finally, you asked earlier about compression. Mine reads 60 lbs wet and a little less dry.

Where Are You From? North of San Francisco

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star

I don't have a lever on the colum mine is full automatic and the counter weights in the dist have a wire stop in the advance slot?

Where Are You From? Utah

I start with full retard but at speed the engine runs best with the advance lever 2/3 down. Looking at the distributor, this could be 15 degrees.

Where Are You From? North of San Francisco

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star

The Durant Motors Automobile Club