Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Chatering brakes

Hi fellow Duranties
I have a problem with my brakes they just started to chatter when i stop.Is there a fix for this? I did take both drums off and cleaned them of oil of there was any. A fellow collector thought maybe putting Neel Oil on the shoes like they did on clutches in the old days. Any help please i need to take the car to a show soon and drive a wedding couple in July. Need this fixed.

Where Are You From? Two Rivers,Wisconsin

Do You own a car built by Durant? 22 sedan

Re: Chatering brakes

Sounds like an adjustment problem.As with any brake issue, make sure the drums are true and have a smooth surface(sometimes just a LIGHT machining is necessary, anything more and I think you need to see Don Shilling? for new drums!) You can actually sand brake lining, if you take the proper precautions for your health(although I assume you're not going to do this for years), if you suspect they might have gotten contaminated with grease(sand,, lacquer thinner wipe,air hose off), recheck adjustments. I think NEATSFOOT OIL was used on leather clutches to condition them from drying out(and your baseball glove!) Ross

Where Are You From? Orygun

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 6-14 coupe

The Durant Motors Automobile Club