Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
have a 1931 Durant..for sale..66 model sedan wood spokes.

I have a durant don't know too much..about car..someone said it is rare and to post something on here..about the wooden spokes it has and double vents on the crowl..would like information..for my ebay page..Thank you..

Where Are You From? Fresno,Ca

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Re: have a 1931 Durant..for sale..66 model sedan wood spokes.

You should tell us more. Is it nice? Does it run?
Is it original? It sounds like a 1929 model. What does the radiator ornament look like, Blue D or White D. Spare tire on the back or on the sides in front of front doors?

What body style? Four door, Two door, Coupe, Roadster, or Touring?

Have you found a picture like it on the list at left?

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

the car has been sitting for over 30 years..and needs to be restored..I put it on ebay..under 1931 durant..model 66 sedan four door with a luggage rack..no hood ornament though..some one must of stole it..since it has been sitting in my fathers yard so long..the whole car is pretty much there..but is in sad shape:( Just sat there with only a tarp and trees for protection..all these years..looks like it was maroon in color and black..with wooden spokes..and has the a tire mounted on it's side..

Where Are You From? Fresno,Ca

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Hey guys, check this car out.........Wood spoked wheels, side mounts, and trunk rack. Also has 2 vents on the top of the cowl. Needs LOTS of TLC. Ebay# 320539606516 Listed under "1931 Durant Sedan Model 66". Do you suppose Don Schilling has any left over wood?

Dave

Where Are You From? Iowa

Sure would be one sweetheart of a car when restored. Needs lots of TLC, but it doesnt look all beat up.

Gord

Where Are You From? Guelph, Ontario

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 Frontenac

Well it is a model 66 OK and built in Oakland and a 1929 car. All 30 & on also had only had 10 spoke wood wheels. These are 12 spoke.
Different than my 66 also built in Oakland and a model 66 except mine has side cowl vents and none on the top. Her ID tag says 66 ond "C" for the Oakland factory. Exact same dash as mine and has a 4 speed tranny, with emergency on the left hand side. Going to need a complete restoration for sure.
Lance Haynes
San Diego

Where Are You From? San Diego

Do You own a car built by Durant? Many

It's going to take more wood than I have left over. That's one sad looking swayback. However, it would be well worth the effort to do a PROPER "end of assembly line" restoration. It should be worth about $75,000 but it may require $10,000 worth of parts and about $64,500 worth of labor.
It's very unusual and would be a show stopper anywhere you go. At any rate it would look really cool gracing the other thoroughbreds in Frank's stable!!!!

Hey guys,,,, let's hear your estimates on this restoration.

Where Are You From? Texarkana, Tex

Definitely a candidate for "Greenameyer Magic".

Dave

Where Are You From? Iowa

Hi All......

Very interesting car. With the dual side mount wood wheels and dual cowl vents.

I bought a 614 sedan from Gary K. that had dual side mounted wood Star wheels, but it was something that was cobbled together. The side mount arms do look factory on this car.

Needs a lot of difficult (and expensive)wood replacement. But would make a great car for some one.

Don, I think your estimate is close, but would need to include the purchase price of the car. With a lot of work and effort, you should be able to only loose thousands of dollars on it.

Hope one of our West Coast members ends up with the car. Hmm..I don't have a Model 66, but California is too far from Hookstown, and Jim is not ready for another road trip. PlusI just bought a Model 70 coupe for Cathy's birthday present, she just doesn't know about it yet.

Dave, I have to agree with you this one is definitely in need of Greenamyer magic, but sure would be an interesting project!

See you all in Lancaster !!!

Frank ---

Where Are You From? Hookstown, Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? 17 Durant & Star cars and a Durant-Dort buggy (one horse power)

What would this cost to restore? I feel that the people in our club due most of their own restorations, but wow if you just said to a top shop, give me the keys to a show winning car in six months? Maybe 100 grand? So much work with a wood body to get it right. But of course simple mechanically, unless you have to get into rebabbiting the entire motor. I went to the first Durant gathering in Dearborn Michigan in 1981. JB Nethercutt was there( the late legendary collector), with a Star coupe just like the one that he and his wife used to drive around when they were starting their Merle Norman cosmetics empire. He has his shops resore that car in 6 months, and it was fantastic. I wonder what that might have cost? Ross

Where Are You From? Orygun

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Durant 6-14 coupe

Hi Don, Frank and others, I spent approximately $70,000.00 on everyone of the highly restored Durant made cars I have kept and sold.
Charlie Spitz of our club paid me back just the hard cost's on the red 30 Durant 407 four door and the two tone blue 1931 Durant 619 four door.
Charlie paid me just a hair under $70,000.00 for each of those cars. That is paying me exactly nothing. Only parts, my shop men labor and subcontractors. Course we put a lot of extra things in the cars like insulation everywhere and laminated safety glass windshields and tempered side and rear glass, seat belts, top notch chrome and we add modern shocks, seals , always new copper radiators, add metal, 12 volt them all, etc etc etc.
Restoring old cars are a very expensive proposition.
Lance Haynes

Where Are You From? San Diego

Do You own a car built by Durant? Many

Durant dealers had 29 models on their showrooms well into late 30 in some places. Do you suppose the factory came up with these side mounts to make them a little "different" than the other 29s? the trunk rack is the same from 29 to 30. The fly in the ointment would be the dual cowl vents on top of the cowl. Did you notice it also has the 2 vents on the sides? A very unusual car. Too bad Grandad isn't around to shed some light on the subject!

Dave

Where Are You From? Iowa

Hi All.....

Did a member end up with the car??

Some one got an interesting & rare project for a fair price.

If the winning bidder is not a member he should consider joining us. He will need our help with this project!

Frank ---

Where Are You From? Hookstown, Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? 17 Durant & Star cars & a Durant Dort buggy (one horse power)

The Durant Motors Automobile Club