Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Required - spring for starter bendix

Sirs :
Just a progress note, car did 50 miles, running 40 mph on highway with no problems, yesterday.

But today, going out to start the car....
zing...zing... zing.. the starter is not engaging, the spring on the bendix is broken..... da... da...

Could anyone supply me or direct me to a supply for this spring.

And if you know of comparable springs used on similar starter, I would certainly appreciate the knowledge.

Also if you know of feasibility of welding it back together makes sense ??

Boy I need my starter working...

Thanks ahead of time
Guy

Where Are You From? Peace River AB

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 Model Touring

Re: Required - spring for starter bendix

Hey Guy,
Think Model "T". It's the same-o, same-o.
This is the neat thing about the often misaligned "assembled cars". Many parts are easily obtained from other makes.

Where Are You From? Texarkana, Tex

A few days ago I replaced the entire Bendix drive with a new reproduction part, even looks the same as the Durant part.

Most Model A Ford suppliers should have it, Part# A-11350 $24.95USD. The spring is also sold as a separate piece.

I am assuming that the starter on your W5 is the same as the one on my 14L.

Rick

Do You own a car built by Durant? 29 model 60

Guy
I would prefer to sell the whole starter. Looking at it I would have a problem trying to take it apart and sure dont want to break anything, Starter would be no good to me after anyway.I dont know what the shipping would be but will try to find out tomorrow before you call --I can check with DHL and greyhound .
I have had the whole thing in varsol for a day to remove some rust from it--It does move so should be okay for a rebuild. The man I bought the parts from said the car was running when he stored it and stripped it to build a rod.I dont know how long but it was not in a dry place so has some rust.
Ken

Hi Guy....

Don is correct. The Model T bendix spring is an exact replacement for the Durant or Star spring used on your car.

Frank . ---

Where Are You From? Hookstown, Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? 17 Durant & Star cars and a Durant-Dort buggy (one horse power)

Sirs :

I bow, I bow to your knowledge....

Phoned George Moirs in Spruce Grove and 2 springs are on the bus to be here tomorrow.

Cost $15.90 per spring (got a pair)

regards
guy

Guy, I hope you did and I'm sure you did, think to inspect or replace the two special shoulder bolts and lock tabs that are so necessary for proper spring operation. They really should be included with any spring replacement.

Where Are You From? Texarkana, Tex

Yes, Don's right. Replace the special washers at a minimum or the bolts will drop out and you'll lose part of your Bendix. They can be bought from the T suppliers like Synders or maybe even from NAPA. These generally break when the spring is replaced so it is a good idea to keep some on hand.

Where Are You From? North of San Francisco

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star

Back on the road again....la de da..
With a spare starter spring under the back seat.....la de da....

I'll let Willy sing it.

Note :
Original special lock washers have had their problems (i.e. breakage) so I have drilled through head of bolts and secured with good double snug wrap of fresh haywire through bolt holes and around fittings on starter shaft.

And no Don, they only sent springs, nothing else. It could be that asking would have been different... seems to buy Model T stuff, they work part by part and not by logical unit. Ha...

Hi and Tx to all
guy

Hi All....

Here are the part numbers for the Model T Ford Bendix parts.

Spring......T-5022N
Short bolt..T-5023
Long bolt...T-5024
Lock........T-52025

These are available from your local Model T supplier like Mac's. I also have them in stock....

As Don said one of the benefits of an assembled car is the parts interchangeability

Frank
---

Where Are You From? Hookstown, Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? 17 Durant & Star cars and a Durant-Dort buggy (one horse power)

The Durant Motors Automobile Club