Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Locomobile Model history and Horsepower.

Cdmn,
There is No reference of a 6-70 model. Originally at the Jan 1925 Auto Show there was a Junior-6 shown but it was too close to the Flint, and Locomobile went with the Junior-8 in 1925. However Early 1925 Ads call this model the "Straight-Eight" but data-tags say Junior-8.

There was a 6-90 as a middle model in 1926 for Locomobile with a 6 Cyl and probable 90HP. This Luxury model was supposed to replace the aging "Antique"(?) Model 48 but never did. Again the "48" originally was the horsepower for this model in the early (circa 1912)"T" Head engine. At this time there was a smaller Model 34 also. The Model 48 was the only model made when Durant took them over in 1921 and it and the 6-90 model were made unto the end of Locomobile.

Yes the 70 was the Horsepower claimed for the licenced Continental Straight 8 in the 1927 Loco 8-70 model. It replaced the Junior-8 as the entry Locomobile or the "8-66" model as it was called in 1927. (66 Horsepower Loco over-head valve Straight eight). Note: 1927 Data tags still said "Junior-8" though.

The 1927 Loco 8-70 model with a Continental(70 HP)8 Cyl "Flathead" engine, was the engine that was supposed to save Locomobile but a lot of people said "it cheapened the marque", (not being a Loco engine) and sales dropped. This was Not so, since Locomobile's troubles were much bigger than this.

Locomobile was already at the end in 1928 and limped into 1929 with only a few hundred(?) cars sold of all 3(?) models. There was supposed to be an 8-80 and 8-88 (to go with the others)in pictures, but records are non-existant on the final sales breakout or production.

The Locomobile brand went under in March 1929 and any records are gone about the final years. A sad end after 30 years of High quality cars. Of course lots of brands were dieing then (1920's) and then the bottom dropped out 7 months later in Oct 1929 on Black Tuesday, and many more car brands died.

Lance

Where Are You From? Niceville Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? "New" 28 Locomobile 8-70, 25 Loco JR-8 Brougham, 26 Loco JR-8 Sedan, and JR-8 Roadster project, 30 Durant 610 Deluxe Sedan

Re: Locomobile Model history and Horsepower.

My main question was whether Durant borrowed anything from Locomobile or visa versa to build the Durant 6-70?

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

Cdmn,
Sorry I missed your Durant car question earlier. No there is nothing "common" with the Durant car to Locomobile that I know of.

My Spec Book says the 1929 Durant "70" used a Continental 20E; 6Cyl 214.7CID engine, Rated at 65HP @ 3000RPM. The 1927/28 Locomobile "8-70" used a Continental 10S; 8Cyl 246.7CID engine Rated at 70HP @ 3000RPM.
(Source: The Specifications Book For U.S. Cars 1920-1929, Edited by; G. Marshal Naul, Motorbooks Intl.,Osceola,Wisconsin, 1978)

However there may be some "cross" with some of the larger Flint models (i.e maybe general mech parts, bearings(?) etc.,and possibly transmissions)to the smaller Locomobile Junior-8's in 1925/26,an early 1927. They shared production plants to some extent before Flint ended.

Some Flint's also carried data tags "saying" built in the Locomobile facilities.

Since getting this "new" 28 Locomobile 8-70 I have found that the Loco 8-70 model uses very few mech parts with the earlier Loco Junior-8 model like the front springs, and spring bushings! But that's about it so far as I can see.

Hope this all helps you.
Lance

Where Are You From? Niceville Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? "New" 28 Locomobile 8-70, 25 Loco JR-8 Brougham, 26 Loco JR-8 Sedan, and JR-8 Roadster project, 30 Durant 610 Deluxe Sedan

Thanks for that info. It makes me wonder what was on WC's mind. Why would he introduce a very low production "heavy Durant" at the time he did without just badge-engineering something he already had? I suppose there was nothing but blue-sky in sight in the late 1920's. For all I know, he might have bought his chassis parts from the same supplier as for Nash or Hudson?? So there was very little incremental cost to add a new model. Was the Durant 6-75 built in one specific plant?

Maybe he thought he had to offer something equivalent to a Buick to rebuild "his General Motors", but he should have had a new name for it.

The Locomobile was his "Cadillac". I don't know what he meant Flint to be? Maybe "Oldsmobile". I seem to remember that when he bought the Elizabeth plant from Walter Chrysler, that it came with a new car design which he named the Flint. [My Durant was built in Elizabeth.]

Did the dealerships demand that he produce a range of cars to sell, or didn't he care about their input? Did he have a strong sales manager?

Do you know how many dealerships there were? Was Locomobile pretty much restricted to the NYC area?

Did Durant dealerships also sell Flints? Were Star and Durant dealers separate or combined?

It is surprising that when there were old-timers still alive, they all recognized the Star and Durant names. Maybe it was a regional thing. Wasn't he just a bit-player in the big scheme? 10th or 12th place?? Must have advertized a lot in the farm magazines. Maybe in the 1930's second-hand Durants were dirt cheap and that's why a bunch of farmers and young people could buy one. At least it wasn't a used Model T. A big guy could actually get into one. (And big women). The depression and WWII interupted the normal cycle of scrapping 10 year old cars. If you had a car, you kept it. [I know my farmer relatives only put on about 1000 miles per year during the depression.]
They must have been destroyed with a vengeance after the new cars began to arrive in the late 1940's. My dad's 34 Ford went away in 1947. Probably ended up in a demolition thrill show. Lots of those in the 50's.

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes, M4 and remains of 6-75

The Durant Motors Automobile Club