Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
1930/31 Outside Doorhandles

I have in stock a new set of spear type outside doorhandles for sale. Locking and non-locking are both available. If anyone is interested feel free to email me at nbutters@eagle.ca

Photobucket

Photobucket

Where Are You From? Ontario Canada

Re: 1930/31 Outside Doorhandles

I assume those are closed car handles, Mike. Open cars have shorter shaft and flat backing plates.

Been two closed car handles on Ebay recently but one seller has an open car one he hasn't listed yet.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan

they look like my 6-14 from 1930 and 1931....what price the set of 4...two lokking two not???....gary k

Where Are You From? penna

Hi unc, those are 614 and other series handles ... been pondering handles for Dot and maybe using the 30 / 31 type on the 32 if I can't find one missing one that looks similar to the 619 style. They seem Chrysler looking on mine.
Have wondered if some handle company didn't made handles for a few car companies but just change the backing plates to fit Durant, Chrysler, Desoto, etc.

Hey Norm, Why wouldn't you just have him make the one you need?

Dave

Where Are You From? Iowa

Hey Dave ... might have to eventually unless another shows up at Sterling, Lombardy, or Odessa flea markets. Still waiting for a Durant tail light lense from Neil he was going to have made up and meet him at Sterling 2007 and 8. No one knew if they were even there 08 and 09 and couldn't find them 2007.

Wasn't going to go to Lombardy one, two years ago, but did. One vender had a pile of parts and a 1921 Dodge touring for sale. In order to get the Dodge he had to take all the misc parts as well. On a blanket he had a pile of odd handles and one immediately stood out as no other car has that backing curve of the 30 - 32 closed car Durants. It was the passenger door one for the 32 minus a key. He asked me if $5 was too much to pay for it. Heck no, ha ha. Didn't leave my hand until I got to the van. Learned later he was selling handles for $2, so I got took, . $2 or $5 it was a good find for me.
I work at an RV trailer park during the summer as volunteer, looking after the grounds. They were in the garage business many many years ago and I got 4 1915 /16 Ford / Chevy wheels in the barn. 1916 was the only year Ford and 490 Chev used same wood fellow wheels and hub ball bearings. 1917 Chevy used their own wheels. 490's were two separate cars 1916, and 1917 and later. I have an orig Oshawa parts manual for the 490 and owners manual. Lad who brought the 32 home for me has a restored 1916 490 touring plus 5 other Chev's, so I gave him the wheels. Hanging on a nail at the park was a ring of old car keys and I got 5 that turned the 32 lock.
I have the grip part of a 32 handle and missing the curved backing part. Its off a touring which has a shorter shaft and flat backing as open cars have thinner doors. Shaft has now been lengthened. That back door has a 30 / 31 spear handle and I hate to destroy it for the backing part. In the 60's I saw a lot of 30 Durant's with only the backing part still on doors.

My dad and I have been vending every year at Stirling Flea market since 2000. The last 8 years we have been at the same spot F15 and we will be there again this year. Many Durant members stop and visit. There has always been a Durant tailight on the vending table. If anyone is interested just stop by the spot or email us.

Thanks
Mike

Norm,
Neat info on the old 490 Chevys, since I also have a few early ones.

You are right about the backing plates still on the Durant doors. My 30 Sedan still has a few on it I think, but no handles.(I think we talked on this problem before, when I bought that box of mixed-Handles last year :<(.

Lance C.

Where Are You From? Niceville Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 25 Locomobile JR-8 Brougham, 25 Loco JR-8 Sedan, 26 Loco JR-8 Roadster project, 30 Durant 610 Deluxe Sedan

Yes Earl's 1916 490 is a neat car. He's also got a 1919 490 touring, 29 sports coup, 30 special sedan right hand drive, 30 deluxe sedan and 1938 sedan. I'm sure he could tell you what other parts the 16 shares with non Chev parts. Like I mentioned, the parts manual clearly indicates 1916 only, and 17 after. Earl's like us ... only one car was ever made that's of any use and thats a Chev. His daily is a Chev 1/2 ton of course . He would like to get a 1930 614 like is dad had. There's one about two or three miles from him in a garage that's been sitting for years. He says its solid but the daughter won't sell her fathers car.

Think you were talking inside handles and buying mixed handles, I'm talking outside handles. Actually I have a pic of the 31 here at the sale place before it was sold, a few years back, and it shows the passenger side with both doors having the backing plates on the doors but no grip part. Must be poorly made handles, like the fender lights the pots fall off of the light socket part.

Sorry Neil .. I still have our emails from 2006, 7 and 8 about the tail light lense, and that you guess you should have some made up. I asked a few venders if anyone knew where you might be in both fields and inside the building, as well as other friends there, and no one knew. I hope to be there on the Sat again.

Saw the handles at Stirling yesterday and talked to Mike and Neil. Was sure tempted to buy the set of 1930 V (spear) handles. Very nice.

Didn't see anything else Durant related at the flea market but got a great lead on a 1930 614 sedan not far from me. Have to travel 3 hrs to this flea market and end up talking to a fellow who lives just outside Ottawa who also knows Earl and the 30 614 I couldn't find before. Fellow bought a 30 Chrysler from the brother, so saw the Durant in the shed. Small world.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club