Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
W5 Cylinder Oversize

I am looking for opinions as to how far one can safely bore out the cylinders on a W5(or W4)engine. I am considering using Dodge 3 7/16" pistons that are .30 over. Any ideas??

Where Are You From? Prescott,Arizona

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star Tourer

Re: W5 Cylinder Oversize

Rusty.
They will take a lot. I've done many at over 60/1000ths and no problems.
Lance Haynes
San Diego, CA

Where Are You From? San Diego

Do You own a car built by Durant? Many

Rusty, are you talking .30 or .030? .30 is nearly 1/3" whereas .030 oftentimes you are lucky get your bore to clean-up when you oversize.
Bill

Where Are You From? Yuma, AZ / Leavenworth, WA

Do You own a car built by Durant? '23 A-22 Touring / '29 Model 40 coupe

OOPS, didn't mean to put the decimal there! I meant 30 thousandths. What I really want to know, is can I bore this out 100 thousandths over the standard bore, without getting into trouble? Thanks for your input!!

I don't know the wall thickness on a W-5, However I have bored a Ford flathead out to .125 over (1/8") for racing pistons, I was a little nervious when I bored It but It worked out fine...I would think .100 over would be a judgment call.
Bill

Where Are You From? Yuma, AZ / Leavenworth, WA

Do You own a car built by Durant? '23 A-22 Touring / '29 Model 40 coupe

Thank you Bill and Lance! I think that I will take a chance on boring it out! I'm using Dodge pistons that are 3 7/16" + 30 thousandths. That's BIG! If I am successful I will let you know! If I poke a hole through the water jacket,I'll have to go to plan B.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club