Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Tillotson carburetor

Hi, I inherited a box of misc antique car parts from my dad. He had collected various antique cars.
I have a Tillotson carburetor Model L 1A and I think it is brass. I sent Tillotson an email with a picture of the carburetor and the model # and asked what year or car this if off. They replied as far as their records indicate for a Durant. This was the first I had heard of a Durant. Can you tell me if this is correct and what year car it would fit?
Thank You
Dale

Where Are You From? Mich.

Do You own a car built by Durant? no

Re: Tillotson carburetor

Dale,

The Tillotson Model L 1A is the correct original carburator for the 1923 Durant Model A-22 and was most likley used through 1926.

Bill

Where Are You From? Yuma, AZ / Leavenworth, WA

Do You own a car built by Durant? '23 A-22 Touring / '29 Model 40 coupe

According to the Carb mans site found in DMAC to connect to him your carb is 1921 - 24 4 cyl A22 Durant.

If you have time to access his site it might fit other cars. He's got pages of cars and models that crabs fit.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan

Thank You both very much for your helpful replys. I will go and check out the website.
Dale

Where Are You From? Mich.

Dale,
What City are you in. It is posible the L-1A carb if your looking to sale I may be interested. My 1923 A-22 Durant uses the L-1A carb. Is it in good contition?
We live in Muskegon.

Where Are You From? Muskegon, MI

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Durant A-22

Hi Ken,
At the present time I am in Fl where the carburetor is.I am moving back to Grand Rapids, Mich. in 2 weeks. The carburator is for sale right now on ebay - item # 170472119770 for $9.99.
Dale

Dale, If you would like it to go to a Durant that could use. I am interested in aquireing it from you for what you are asking. Ken Brink

Hi Ken, Are you familiar with Ebay? If so, just go there & put # 170472119770 in the search. It will bring up the auction which is at $9.99 and you can see several pictures of the carburator.
Dale

Dale,
I have never used E-bay. If you have a chance to sell it do so, if it dosen't sell bring it home with you and I'll meet you in GR and aquired it from you there.
Ken Brink

Hi Ken, Right now there is one bid on it and if the person doesn't pay then I wil keep you in mind and let you know when we get to Grand Rapids.

Ebay is really easy to use. You should try it as it is a good place to get parts for your Durant and other things at great prices.

It used to be a good place to get Durant parts before snipers ruined it and you don't have a snow balls chance in h--l of getting the item. Talked to a few lads about ebay and thats why a lot of guys stay clear of ebay unless its one of those pay now where you don't bid. Been having a lot of emails with a seller of handles about that very subject. And he finds it stange now to get less for his handles than he did 4 - 5 yrs ago. Well whos going to bid when you know you havent a chance now ? It was honest bidding back then without fear of some sniper snatching it away from you within 3 sec of closing were you have no chance of another bid. Here's part of his email and he's part of the problem why a lot of us don't even bother trying now. We are not in it for the money, just to get that part we need for our vehicle, if we can.

---------------------------------
I know you don't like snipe programs. To be truthful, I use one all the time to bid. A couple of reasons why. One, I can decide my maximum bid, place it with auctionsniper and forget it. If an item is $10, and I was to place a max bid on e-bay of $30, someone can start bidding against me and decide to drop out at $25 and I was just driven up $15. Had I not had a max bid in he might have put in a max bid of $12 and my snipe would win at just over his max. So it does save me from having someone bid me up and drop out. Two, I am not always around when something is ending and don't want to schedule my life around a bid on something I want. Also, my computer isn't the fastest in the world and before I used auctionsniper I often could not get in a bid in time at last minute. So now, when I find something I am thinking of buying, I wait till the last day of auction, look at the item and see if it is out of my range yet. If it is, I delete my watch. If it is still below what I am willing to pay, I place my snipe and forget it till after auction is done. I have bid, say $200 on items and won them at half my snipe about. But then I have lost a snipe because someone was willing to pay more and had bid more to begin with and when my snipe came in it wasn't high enough.

You seem to think snipe programs are 'dirty games', but they really are not. Just a tool to use. It is the same argument I hear from guys selling at swap meet and complaining about e-bay itself. They say e-bay has taken their sales away They say all the good items are snatched up by e-bay sellers and they think that stinks. Only thing is the guy buying to re-sell pays the price and takes the part. The guy complaining wants to spend all day going back to the guy with his part trying to talk him down more. I used to sell my handles at swap meets and at the time I was asking $4-5 for a handle and I quit selling because I got so tired of guys saying it was too much and offering me 50 cents or a buck. So there are 2 sides to the issues. You should try a snipe program. I use auctionsniper.com. It is a minimum of $.25 and if the price is high enough think it is 1%. I do use auctionsniper on e-bay to buy items to resell. There are a number of other guys that buy and sell handles and when group lots come up we all seem to be in competition to buy the lot. And what is funny is that we all use a snipe program. So one really needs to know what he is bidding on and think about what he can sell them for and bid accordingly because there will be no second chance. When I started selling about 5 years ago there were not many guys snipping. At the same time, there was only one guy that ever bid against me on groups of handles. It is also funny that my handles sold for about 60-70% higher then they do now.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan

The Durant Motors Automobile Club