Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Split Type Rear End Housing

I am re-machining the differential for new bearings. From what I can see in the repair manual, the bearings should stay in the housings, is this correct? Does the diff have to slide in the bearings in order to adjust the ring gear to the pinion?

Thanks, Brian.

Where Are You From? Dalmeny SK.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 Star Coupe

Re: Split Type Rear End Housing

Brian,
The carrier bearings are a press fit on the differential and float in the axle housing depending on the axle bearing adjustment at the wheel end.

Where Are You From? Texarkana, Tex

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star C touring, 1927 Star M coupe

Thanks Don. Going to finish up the machine work today and install the bearings. After that, the rear diff should be ready to assemble.

Brian.

OK, For curiosity sake, the original bearings are Italian made, single row, radial, unshielded.
Why are you machining the carrier for different bearings?

Where Are You From? Texarkana, Tex

Also on the Tech Page under Manuals etc there is info on rebuilding the rear end.

Dave

Where Are You From? Iowa

The bearings were in very poor condition and needed to be replaced. They were so loose they had damaged the carrier, they were banging around on the shaft. So what I have done is resize the carrier shafts and put new bearings on.

Brian.

Here are some pictures of the rear diff as I put it together, if anyone is interested.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The Durant Motors Automobile Club