Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Following A Star 2

Hello again everyone.
Thank you for all of the replys and answers to my questions on the previous thread "following A Star".

With this new thread, I'll discuss repairing the body sheet metal and preparing to send the completed body including the top to the upholstry shop.

After surveying the sheet metal, I've come to the conclusion that the entire bottom 8" of the body must be replaced to eliminate all previous repairs and damages. The cowl section at the windshield area is also in poor condition.

All my sheetmetal repairs will basically be performed the same as the following cowl section which replaces the previously repaired or dameged areas with new "Butt Welded Patches".

Let's get started:

Photobucket

The existing damaged and repaired area of the right cowl at the windshield post.

Photobucket

First, we cut away the heavy damage to allow the proper fitting of a new patch.

Photobucket

once the new patch is fit and clamped into position...

Photobucket

We trim both panels at the same time with a cutoff wheel...

Photobucket

which allows a 1/8th inch gap for "Butt welding".

Photobucket

The patch is then "Tack Welded" into place...

Photobucket

before checking the fit of the windshield post.

The entire cowl section will be repaired with this same process before being removed and the patches will then be final welded.

Photobucket

Next week, repair of the doors and starting the rear body section.

Where Are You From? Ohio

Do You own a car built by Durant? Flint 80

Re: Following A Star 2

Repairs on the door was relatively easy as the only repair necessary was to remove, blast and replace the lower edge that holds the skin to the wood.

Photobucket

Photobucket

After refitting the doors, We replaced the lower 8 inches of the Quarter

Photobucket

and the wheelwell area.

Photobucket

Next week, setting up for new seat springs, Chrome plating and of coarse... Dayton!

Where Are You From? Ohio

Do You own a car built by Durant? Flint 80

Hi Jim. FYI. To the best of my knowlage ,chorme was not used on Star cars, only nickel. Chrome started in 1928 on some high priced autos. It was used on most autos in 1929. Star car nut.

Where Are You From? sunnie Calif.

Do You own a car built by Durant? several Stars

Bert,et All,
I have found Chrome used on my 1925 Locomobile Junior 8 Brougham on the Grille, and all exterior Lights (Head, Cowl, and Tail). With Silver plating used on some of the interior Trim. Door handles may be Nickle. The high cost of these cars might have led to the use of Chrome by the Locomobile company on the out-sourced Lighting equipment on their "New" Junior-8 model ($2500 Aprox) under the top Line Model 48's ($10K to $12K Aprox).

But there is (more) exterior Nickle plating on my 1926 Locomobile JR-8 Sedan so the chrome may have been an earlier "improvment" by the factory that was dropped. In 1926 they "de-contented" or cheapened the JR-8 model when the Model 6-90 was introduced as a mid priced ($5K to $7K aprox) "Fill" model, under the expensive Model 48 Loco. So perhaps they dropped some of the Chrome trim too. I have noticed the 26 Loco JR-8 model is "less" well equiped than the 25 Loco JR-8. Later in 1927 most of the trim is Chrome on the Locomobile models.

Overall my references on the first use of Chrome tend to follow and agree with you.

Footnote: My 25 Loco JR-8 Brougham was bought new and owned by a Doctor from Big Springs, Texas untill the late 70's and never restored then sold about 1999. I bought it from the second owner who did not do anything to it. Therefore it is a real yard-stick on the brand and model.

Hope this helps, See you all in Dayton.
Lance C.

Where Are You From? Niceville Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 25 Locomobile JR-8 Brougham, 25 Loco JR-8 Sedan, 26 Loco JR-8 Roadster project, 30 Durant 610 Deluxe Sedan

Hey Bert your right. All my research indicates chrome started showing up on the Durants in 1928. Prior to that it should be nickel on the plating. My 1928 model 65 advertised chrome outside and nickel inside. I agree that 28 was the first year on our products.

Where Are You From? Oviedo (near Orlando) Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 dr

Mike,
I agree with you in that Chevy first went with Nickel in 1924 on their Deluxe models (Grilles),and then transitioned to Chrome trim in late 1927/early 1928.

My late 1923 Painted grille & Light bodys(Black painted metal) and 1929's Chrome grille and Lights definitely reflect this transition in the Chevy models.

Lance C.

Where Are You From? Niceville Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 25 Locomobile JR-8 Brougham, 25 Loco JR-8 Sedan, 26 Loco JR-8 Roadster project, 30 Durant 610 Deluxe Sedan

The Durant Motors Automobile Club