Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ugh - Camber Problem on my right front wheel.

So I have gotten my wooden wheels back from Regina.

The wiggle wiggle is gone but.....

Now having round and straight felloes, I figured it was time to set the Caster, Camber and Toe In.

Caster is ok and understandable, toe in also ( I found 7/8" toe in.. reset to 1/16").

The problem is camber on the right front wheel. Wow something between the axle, king pin, knuckle or spindle.

The top of felloe and bottom of the felloe is e out by 1 1/2 (bottom is inward.

I AM LOOKING FOR AN APPROACH TO DISCERN WHAT IS OUT.

I have feeling the problem is in spindle. The car came with 2 used spare spindles but the are both for the left side; this tells me that things used to happen to spindles.......

SO ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN GET A STRAIGHT RIGHT FRONT SPINDLE FOR MY 1926 Star Model M ??

Any or all stories and/or advice would be appreciated..

Guy

Where Are You From? Peace River Alberta

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 Str Model "M"

Re: Ugh - Camber Problem on my right front wheel.

Hi Guy.....

The first step would be to determine where the problem is. I don't think the king pins could be that loose, but anything is possible.

I would suspect the axle first. Check that the king pin bores are angled correctly. Alignment of these straight axles was done by bending the axles.

Any frame / alignment shop that does larger trucks should be able to straighten the I-beam axle for you.

If the problem is not in the axle, then replacing the spindle would be the next option.

Hope this helps.......

Frank ---

Where Are You From? Hookstown, Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? 16 Durant & Star cars and a Durant-Dort buggy (one horse power)

Guy,

What are you getting for a measurement on the left side? The alignment chart in or teck page lists your car as having 2 degrees camber and in inches only 1/64", Wondering if the spindle part numbers may shed any light, possiably a wrong spindle? Just another thought.

Bill

Where Are You From? Yuma, AZ / Leavenworth, WA

Do You own a car built by Durant? '23 A-22 Touring / '29 Model 40 / 28 M-4

Thanks to Frank and Bill so far.

Notes to Frank :

Kinpins and bushings new from Franz, they have 500 well greased miles on them and are tight.
The axle is not a "straight" axle, it is "u" shaped in the sense the the ends of the axle rises to the wheel hubs which are higher than the body of the axle running under the vehicle ('26 Model M".

Notes to Bill :

The left wheel's camber is very close to 0 degrees.

My Points :

What am I measuring when I am testing for long pin bore angle ?
What are the angle specs (ie. degrees) ?
What points do I use for measurements ?
What tool would be used to quantify the camber ?

Appreciating all help and requiring more..

Guy

Where Are You From? Peace River Alberta

Do You own a car built by Durant? 126 Star Model M

Re: Ugh - Camber Problem on my right front wheel. Frank Witkowski

Thanks Frank :

I did narrow it down to axle problems.. Took to machine shop and got bent to correct specs, they said the axle's previous accuracy approached that of a snake run over 6 times on the road. Must of been lots of holes in the roads in the old days...

Thanks for kick starting me

Guy

Where Are You From? Peace River AB

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 Star M

Re: Ugh - Camber Problem on my right front wheel. Frank Witkowski

Hi Guy.....

Glad you got it "straightened" out.

Car could also lived part of it's life in Pennsylvania "the land of potholes"

Frank ---

Where Are You From? Hookstown, Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? 16 Durant & Star cars & a Durant Dort buggy (one horse power)

The Durant Motors Automobile Club