Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Exhaust, What the heck is this?

When I removed the exhaust from my car I noticed a box attracted about midway down. I've taken it to a few older muffler shops and no one seems to know what it is or why it was on my vehicle. Any information would be appreciated.

-Shaun

Where Are You From? Oregon

Do You own a car built by Durant? 6-14; M-2

Re: Exhaust, What the heck is this?

I think it is a CUT OUT

Where Are You From? Utah

Do You own a car built by Durant? '28 M2 '29 M4

it looks like an old hot rod racing cut out...less restriction makes more noise but also more power and milage

Where Are You From? penna

So it should be left out? Not original right?

Where Are You From? Oregon

Do You own a car built by Durant? 6-14; M-2

Shawn.... on my car, it is a cutout that is used for the rear seat floor heater.

Photobucket
Believe it or not, an exhaust tube was hooked to this and ran to the heater. Then,another ran from the other side of the heater to let the exaust out. YES... the exhaust was the heat source!

Photobucket

Hope this helped... Jim G.

Where Are You From? Ohio

Do You own a car built by Durant? Flint 80

Some old cars drew warm air from an exhaust manifold heater. Okay as long as it didn't leak some Carbon Monoxide. It could be used to defrost windshields at least. As a kid, I remember lots of old cars and trucks had "storm windows" glued to the insides of the windshield and sometimes other windows. This kept your breath from fogging up or frosting the glass and allowed you to peer through them and see the road.

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

CDMN,
Yup these were pretty common in the 20's as an accessory (Heater). I also have the same on my old 20's Chevy's, right off the exhaust manifold, with a "grate " in the kickpannel boards. I guess Heat would "migrate" into the car's interior. These Chevy's and Star/Durant sure beat an Open Model-T Ford for luxury.

My Locomobiles and others used a similar heater device with a "Register grate" in the Floor, but it is like a water " House radiator" only mounted horizontly in the floor, within a cast housing set in the Floor boards. Again No fan just "normal" heat rising circulation, like in a House Radiator, via the engine's hot water cooling system.

The last car Heater type I'm familiar with was a "Gas" heater in my old 56 Volkswagen. It had a line off the gas tank, and its Fan/Pilot light was wired to the ignition switch: Great device and Lots of INSTANT HOT HOT Heat no matter if it got to be down to -60 F in Omaha, Nebraska (super in an air cooled car in Winter). However if it leaked gas: with an open flame, Watch out! Likewise if the motor Konked-out you still had heat untill the Battery died, and then you had to start walking...Been there done that Burrrrrrrrrrrr!! Don't think these are allowed anymore due to safety concerns; effective but Very Dangerous!

Lance C.

Where Are You From? Niceville Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 25 Locomobile JR-8 Brougham, 25 Loco JR-8 Sedan, 26 Loco JR-8 Roadster project, 30 Durant 610 Deluxe Sedan

The Durant Motors Automobile Club