Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
I'm needing help, Brakes and Gauges.

I finally got the call i’ve been waiting for. My motor is finished and ready to be picked up. Talk about crazy on the price though, about $2000 more then I was anticipating. I’ll be heading down to San Diego to pick it up this weekend. What do I need to reinstall the motor? Motor Mounts?
I need some help to get this on the road. Here are the things that I would like to finish work on before I re-body the vehicle.
1. The brakes need to be rebuilt. I spent a day looking for parts with zero luck. I am trying to keep this vehicle as original as possible. Should I send them out?
2. I need to restore the instrument cluster. Any recommendations out there?
3. I need a original horn.... Why do the horns always seem to be missing?
4. I need a exhaust manifold gasket.
If everything goes smooth I could have this mechanically reassembled in a couple months.

Shaun

Where Are You From? Oregon

Do You own a car built by Durant? 6-14; M-2

Re: I'm needing help, Brakes and Gauges.

I almost forgot.

5. Oil Filter (the whole deal)

Shaun If you're heading to SD to pick up your motor I assume you are having Kenyon machine shop do the work which Lance has recommended. I'm sure Lance can answer all of your questions and probably has the parts you need. If not, Olsen's gaskets will have your manifold gasket, Ott's friction supply should be able to help you with brake linings(in Portland off of Columbia Blvd). There is a guy in Tigard right by Capitol Hwy that should be able to help with your instruments(name escapes me). The motor mounts can be revulcanized together (check Lynn Steele), the Horn for the 6-14 is a Northeast, they show up at swap meets occaisonally, I might have a spare. At least bolt the horn bracket under the head bolt before you tighten the nuts down(left side third from back), although you can probably do this without upsetting the head gasket seal later. Someone in the club has a bunch of oil filter canisters(probably Lance),but you'll probably never find the original AC G-2 type, but there are a lot of interchanges. Ross

Where Are You From? Orygun

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 6-14

Ross,
Thanks for all the info. Sorry for missing a earlier question you had. The 614 I have has been in the family since '81, never running though. Here is the original final oil change plate from my Durant. The date has now faded but I believe it was '53.... The story is that it was owned and driven by the original owner until they passed. She passed at some point and it ended up in a impound yard (or some sort of yard) where it stayed until my dad acquired it for a bill that was owed. He was into restoring Chevrolets and believed it to be one. Well as it turned out it wasn't so it sat in our garage. I remembered from growing up and always loved the car. Years later as an adult now living in Oregon I asked him about it. Come to find out he still had it sitting in storage so I acquired it from him. Well that's the short version.

Shaun... If you can't find it out west, send your list to Frank Witkowski. If he don't know then lots- a- luck!

Where Are You From? Ohio

Do You own a car built by Durant? Flint 80

You will probably never find an oil canister unless Lance still has one left. They were sold under a variety of brands and used from 30's to 50's. Car owners have searched the world for these things. I had a list of all the various names, can't find the list, and all are discontinued.

I did post on here Randy Miniker had NOS canisters still and also posted it on a Plymouth site where he was providing Plymouth owners of where to find parts etc and what interchanged etc. The 32 Plymouth uses the idential hood strip and ends as the 31 / 32 Durant / Frontenac, which is same as B42 Mack truck of the 50's. Mack strip is miles longer so cut to length but end fastenings are same as our cars. The Plymouth site is where I got the listing of all brands of canisters and numbers. He was thrilled to get this info. I can't recall Randys price but something like $15 each and less in bigger quanitities. Have no idea how many Randy has or if he still does. When I visited him two yrs ago for light bulbs and muffler, I could get one bulb, a pkg of 12 bulbs or full case of bulbs under the different sizes the 32 needed.

I have a Kralinator on my firewall that takes replaceable filters. Must have been put on many years ago as its red canister with black top and wing nut, which is one of the 1st ones. Made in Ont and later changed to green colour and later again bought by a US firm and moved to US under a different name. Napa has my filters in stock.

Here's Randys info again.

Minaker Auto Parts Milford Ltd
Address : Milford, ON
Telephone : 613-476-4547
Email : randy@minakersautoparts.ca
Category : Automobile Wrecking, Garages Auto Repairing, Automobile Parts & Supplies Used & Rebuilt

Minaker's Auto Parts
(Milford) Ltd
Est.1925
3073 Cty Rd 10, Box 100
Milford, Ontario K0K 2P0
E Mail : minakersautoparts@hotmail.com
or parts@minakersautoparts.ca
Specializing in hard to get parts.
Ph: (613)476-4547

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan

Thought I had 59 min to alter my posting ??

Anyway I found Todds site again

http://www.ply33.com/Models/PB/

oil filters and hes done a lot of updating since 2008

http://www.ply33.com/Parts/group10

Shaun,

You’re making a great deal of progress and I’m sure you’re very proud. The steering wheel alone is just amazing.

The one rule that is never broken is to expect the cost to be more than planned or wished for. I’m confident that Kenyon Machine will have done a wonderful job of rebuilding your motor, they did mine. Actually I was very happy with the cost after checking with other people who had either the same or similar motors rebuilt by other shops, I learn that I paid much less than they did. My engine was completely worn out, the crankshaft was shot, all of the valves and pistons and the timing chain and the gears it rode on had to be replaced. A friend of mine who grew up in the business had paid a visit to the shop and returned a high recommendation. Now it’s hard to believe my engine was in such bad shape. But I digress

Your Durant is one of the most modern built, and you’ll find you can drive it just about anywhere. A local 614 owner drives his all over the San Francisco Bay Area even on our crazy freeways and back roads alike. Keep us updated on your progress, it’s very inspirational to see what you have done so far and I for one am eager to see what info you’ll post next. Did I say the steering wheel was amazing?

Do You own a car built by Durant? 29 model 60

Forgot to mention Randy might have the head / manifold etc gaskets if you can tell him part numbers etc. I'm sure he has all the old parts books going back to the early 20's behind him in the office part of the garage. One building has gaskets on nails and walls and floor for 4, 6 and 8 cyl. T fan belts hanging off the ceiling. Two floors of parts above the garage and basement full under. Next building is mufflers and pipes, rows of old green school buses jammed with parts. This is the place that crushed 2000 cars 2006 (one was a 31 Durant sedan on its wheels, rad / lights motor etc) Crushed them to keep the enviro boys away from his place.

Hi Shaun.
Be sure and stop up here at my place Saturday as I still have a few of the new throw away proper canister oil filters.
I also have brake parts here also. Also the good news is you can rest be sure you got a good deal on getting your 80 year old Durant 22A engine rebuilt. I of course saw you engine tore down and it was pretty bad shape. Even the whole block was warped and cracked and crank bent and all bearings shot and re babbitted and line bored and block pinned and decked, bored etc. I would have never recommended Kenyon Machine if I didn't think they could not do the best job possible and right and fair. Those new type aluminium pistons cost $750.00 for 6 of them. That engine is now like new. And it will last a long time. I actually have never know of one single thing to ever go wrong with a Kenyon rebuilt engine ever and I have had many rebuilt there Shaun and many members engines rebuilt there. Anyway looking forward to seeing you again.
Faithfully
Lance Haynes

Where Are You From? San Diego

Do You own a car built by Durant? Many

A big thanks to everyone who has replied so far. I just want to say I'm thankful that the engine is finished. I'm looking forward to Saturday. Some times the cost of restoring can be much, much more then anticipated. I know it's true, but it doesn't make it any less difficult to swallow. I am happy that the engine was done correct, and by a place someone I trust recommended. Now I need to find the correct color engine paint, and original style spark plugs.

Lance, I will try giving you a call tomorrow. Do you have a spare
exhaust manifold for the 22a? I'm looking forward to stopping by and visiting with you.
Are you working Saturday? I have a lot I want to ask and talk about.

-Shaun

Do You own a car built by Durant? 2

Hi Shaun.
I have to leave here early for 2 different weddings tomorrow Saturday in my 29 Durant but will be back in the afternoon after photos
and transfer to there hotel probably about 3 PM. Call my cell tomorrow Shaun at 619-302-1302.
I do have new oil filter canisters and brake parts for you.
Take care.
Faithfully
Lance Haynes

Where Are You From? San Diego

Do You own a car built by Durant? Many

APT insturuments 952-881-7095 www.gaugeguys.com they do first class work with quick turnaround

Where Are You From? oakland tn

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 rugby truck

Hi Do you still need manifold. Is this the over head valve motor?

Where Are You From? sunnie Calif.

Do You own a car built by Durant? several Stars

Bert .... over head valve motor was A22 4 cyl 1922 - 26, or B22 6 cyl 1922 - 24. The 614 is 22A or 32A flat head 6 cyl 1930 - 32.

Confuses a lot of people where the A is before or after the 22. Almost as bad as someone saying they have a Model A or B Ford. Which 1903 A or 1904 B, or 28 - 31 A or 1932 B ?

Thanks for sorting that out, I was a little confused too. My A22 is definitely not a sidevalve!
Cheers,
Bruce.

Where Are You From? Melbourne, Australia

Do You own a car built by Durant? Several A22 Durant cars

The Durant Motors Automobile Club