Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Star Upholstery ???

Hi All.....

What was the original upholstery used in the Star open cars?

Since the Star was made to compete with the Ford Model T, I doubt that leather was used. Was it some form of vinyl / naugahyde?

Does anyone have an open Star with it's original interior? Any pictures would be helpful.

None of the literature I have makes a reference to the interior or shows any pictures.

Appreciate any help......

See you in Dayton......

Frank
---

Where Are You From? Hookstown, Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? 16 Durant & Star cars and a Durant-Dort buggy (one horse power)

Re: Star Upholstery ???

Hi Frank,
My car still has the original interior. The material looks like a black naugahyde,cloth backed, done in a simple overlapping vertical pleat pattern. Where the material meets the body,it is attached with painted studs that pound into the wood. The door panels are still there and appear to be a heavy cardboard with a slight decorative texture(black). My car also has a strip of heavy weave(decorative)brown or gold material on the backside of the front seat. It comes up from the floor about 14",then turns into a 10"? strip of black material. Hope this helps!!

Where Are You From? Prescott Az

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star touring (Oakland)

Hi Frank: Our 1922 A 22 Durant still has the original leather seats etc. I believe that the Star used a leatherette material the same as the 20's Fords.

Gord

Where Are You From? Guelph, Ontario

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 Frontenac

hey frankie boy.....do you want a piece of my star's seat back...or door panel?...i will be out inthe shop tomorrow and cut you a swatch....i have to start getting my collapsed carport of the 46 pontiac, 31 durant and the allard replicar.....3 ft of snow was a bit too much in just a few weeks...oh well....regards, gary
p.s...call me frank ...after dinner....

Where Are You From? penna

Hi Unc Gary ... so that's where our snow has gotten to. With the exception of a few days, we've enjoyed an unusually mild winter and very little snow. Flowers are beginning to pop under the front window, and have been pushing up for weeks. The snow removal companies doing laneways are laughing all the way to the bank, I'm sure with, with no snow to clear away. Sure not complaining and enjoying no boots to put on / off. Keep up the great work of harvesting our snow.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan

Greetings Frank, I have a original 1925 star sales booklet, the roadster and the standard 5 passenger touringare furnished with , QUOTE (wearable dull black, pebbled grain, artificial leather; snugly-fitted top and side curtins of long grain, black material) The sport touring is furnished differently, it is QUOTE, (upholstery is of 36 ounce double texture, bright black, long grain,artificial leather; the top is 32 ounce,olive green;side curtains are fitted with CARR " lift the dot" fasteners). hope this is of some help, Sincerly, Jim

Where Are You From? Hampstead MD

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 star roadsterGreetings

Gary
No damage to any of your cars I hope? Let us know.

Where Are You From? Oviedo (near Orlando) Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 dr

Thanks Mike, I should have asked Unc Gary if any damage to cars. Humm parts car for Dot for a few items perhaps. No I don't wish that on any vintage car owner.

I was sent pics of other snow problems a week ago in the US and digging out under mountains of snow, half up the houses or well over 10 ft deep in other areas. Glad that's not us for once. We did get mild ice damage to trees etc in Jan, snapping branches and small trees.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan

JUST A CREASE OVER THE DRIVERS DOOR WHERE THE ROOF CAME TO REST ON THE DURANT...IT SAVED THE ALLARD AND THE 46 PONTIAC FROM DAMAGE....THE 1931 6-14 COACH WAS OUR SAVING GRACE....

Where Are You From? penna

The Durant Motors Automobile Club