Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Project Progress Updates

I'm currently restoring two Durant's back to original condition. Essentially I want the vehicles to operate the way they were intended to. If a option wasn't available for that model, then I don't want it. I really want to enjoy the car the way it was enjoyed when new and have no desire to make it something that it never was.
So onto this post. My 1930 614 is in pieces. Very meticulously labeled and sorted pieced, and has been since I started the tear down a little over a year ago.
I have restored most of the mechanical components. In fact it would be easier just to say what I have not restored that is mechanical (the instrument cluster, and the brake system, but the pads look brand new).
The frame is finished, sitting waiting to be reassembled. This project has problems though. My motor has had more issues during it’s rebuild then GM has had financial problems. It's been in the shop for just under a year now and still going. There have been other problems also. The guy I had plate for me did a terrible job and I just now sent it back out for plating. So the car sits. This my friends will not be ready for summer.
I have tried not to involve my self in more the one project at a time. Remember I said two Durants? Well I also have a Studebaker (Avanti) and a Ford (F1). The Studebaker. runs great but the other two need full restorations (and stories told some other time). I buy parts for everything but only touch the vehicles that already run.
During the Durant down time I started some major work on my Avanti. One thing lead to another then the body came off and motor came out. To make a long story short there is still a lot of work left to do, even while the Durant keeps me waiting.
So back to the 614, almost all of the wood was termite infested and still needs to be replaced. The body also needs to be striped, primed, and painted. There is a ton of work to be done.So what do I have to show for it, and why post this long rant? I really wanted to post some before and after shots of completed pieces on here for everyone to enjoy. Here is the problem, when I started looking at all the pictures I only took pictures of the before and almost never the after. Soon I will get more pictures post them here for you. In the mean time here are a few before shots, and one or two after. I hope everyone else who is knee deep in a project will take the time to share.

That's me and my son, he really likes to help.

Where Are You From? Oregon

Do You own a car built by Durant? 6-14; M-2

Re: Project Progress Updates

Hi Shaun.
I don't know about everyone else.... but I'm just a "lugnut" that enjoys everyones old car, especially if it has a picture history attached!
With todays digital cameras, It only cost the price of a camera to take as many pictures as you want. All my pics are with the cheapest Kodac. Since starting the Star Roadster 3 weeks ago, I have taken about 1000 pictures and setup a computer folder with a labeling system which upon completion will be passed onto Gary K for his register. One thing I have noticed is that my pics are more for detail and aren't real pretty. By the way.... my camera stays in my toolbox with extra batteries!
With this said... Please keep posting progress reports! People will get involved and send their support. It also will make you smile when you search back through your project if you are feeling dicouraged!
Just my opinion.
Jim G.

Where Are You From? Ohio

Do You own a car built by Durant? Flint 80

Hi Shaun,
Great start.. Enjoyed the pictures as it reminded me of the 6-14 that I wish I had back.
Most of all let your son continue to help as it will probably be some of the best memories you will have in later years.
Much sucess..........

Yates

Where Are You From? North Carolina

Do You own a car built by Durant? 23 Durant Touring

Shaun -Looking good! Was this the 6-14 that was for sale at the Portland swap meet a couple of years ago? Drop by sometime and see my 6-14 coupe, I'm in Clackamas. Ross

Where Are You From? Orygun

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 6-14

Hi Shaun....

Nice project. Good to see your Son involved, Best to start them out when they are young.

Starting an finishing the small projects can give you a sense of Accomplishment. And some thing is actually finished!

When it comes to replacing the wood, follow some of Jim's progress in "following a Star" He makes pages & pages of notes and measurements as well as taking many pictures. Break it down into simple procedures, and you can accomplish just about anything.

Why not consider sending in some of your item restoration stories to Carol for the Partner. Watch for "Backyard Billie" in the upcoming issues for these types of tips & tricks...

Frank ---

Where Are You From? Hookstown, Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? 16 Durant & Star cars & a Durant Dort buggy (one horse power)

Shaun
Great looking car and it looks pretty solid from what I can see of the pictures. I'm no expert and a novice at restoration myself but I can tell you what others have told me. Do little projects as often as possible to keep from getting discouraged. Space your projects out and remember that when you have to send things off for restoration allow sometimes as much as 6 months to get them back kind of like your engine. I just had my wiring harness done and I sent it out in October. Hopefully it will be here either this week or next I'm promised. Gas tank sending unit has been about two months. Chrome work can take up to six months depending on when you have it done. Winter is best for chroming as shops are slower not in the middle of the rush for spring shows etc. Most important if you hit a snag or start getting frustrated stop for awhile and start up later. Remember you a part of the Durant family now and everyone on this forum and in the club are here to answer and help you out. Isn't a better car club out there as far as I'm concerned. There are quite a few others that have 614's that can give a hand.

Where Are You From? Oviedo (near Orlando) Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 dr

The Durant Motors Automobile Club