Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
More speed less revs

I have a short stretch of freeway that I need to use to go just about anywhere. I'd like to drive the required 45 mph but my W5 is screamin' and shakin' at that speed. Either its going to blow up or I'm going to lose some fillings! In 2007, there was a discussion of changing the rear end in a Durant with a similar problem. Has anyone done something like this for a Star?

I've also thought of trying to find a modern overdrive transmission that would fit maybe by adapting the Spicer joints.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Where Are You From? North of San Francisco

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star

Re: More speed less revs

Thought comes to mind, but you older Durant owners might know, if a 4 speed from a 28 / 29 D 66, 70 or 75 would fit, if someone had one ??

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan

Vince:
When Jeff Cromeens drove his Star 6 cyl Opera sedan from Texas to Wisconsin in 1986 , he got a ticket for doing 65 MPH somewhere enroute. One of his solutions was a "Jeepster" transmission that fit in with very little modification. He had made several upgrades to this vehicle and it was really a treat to drive.

Gord

Where Are You From? Guelph, Ontario

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 Frontenac

I suggest that you google "overdrive units" and look for some information you can use. I recall people putting Norman de Lacock overdrive units in Austin Healys in the 50's.

Where Are You From? Whiyby, ON

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Hi Vince.
The 4 speed Durant transmissions do nothing for engine RPM's. My 29 Durant 6-66 came with one and the 4th gear is actually one to one straight through so just a extra mid range gear. I did install a Chevy S-10 five speed w/ overdrive top loader (gear shifter in the floor) on a couple Durant cars . Just drill the bell housing to bolt the late 90's Chevy S-10 pickup stock transmission on and replace the idle bushing in the end of the crank with a custom made one and use the stock Chevy 9" disc inside the all Durant pressure plate and throwout and have a custom Chevy drive line made up for the car. We also would use a oversize tire like a Coker 6:50 Firestone
and cruse all day at 65 no problem. Should regrind the cam to more lift and duration and mill the head a bunch and port the block and manifold out some and larger exhaust pipe and a little bit bigger carb as none of our cars until 31 had enough power to really utilize any kind of overdrive. Good luck.
Faithfully
Lance Haynes San Diego

Where Are You From? San Diego

Do You own a car built by Durant? Many

Lance...i luv the way you just say...."just"
....hope you are well ....regards, gary k

Where Are You From? penna

The Durant Motors Automobile Club