Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ignition key

Anyone have a key or know where I can get one?
I am tired of twiting the wires together under the dash, don,t want to burn the old girl down. I could hook up a toggle for now but would like to do it right.

Thanks Vern

Where Are You From? ottawa ontario canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes 1922 22A touring

Re: Ignition key

Hi Vernon,

I actually got mine from the Canadian Tire in Bells Corners. They still sell generic ignintion switches with keys in the car parts section (or at least they did 3-4 years ago)

Stephan

Where Are You From? Ottawa, Ontario

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1931 Durant 614

So do Benson's in Bells Corners where I got Dot's.

Another thought ... perhaps Gary Beaupre has one that matches the early Durant. Never did get back to him about the correct one for the 30 - 32's.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan

I made mine from a feller gauge on both cars work good

Where Are You From? Utah

Do You own a car built by Durant? '28 M2 '29 M4

Another thought Stephan is perhaps the early cars had switches you insert the key and lever you move right or left for lights like Model T. The A22 owners would know that. Don't see any dash pics in photo section and nothing mentioned in the 35 or 38 parts catalogues. All they say is supply the number on your key to get another if you lose it. Well if you've lost the key .........

Looking at Steve's 60 that's what his has but he must not have the key as its got a unit hanging off the bottom of the dash.

Wouldn't be like our cars with coil / key as one and a hole in the dash to take a single key replacement unit.

I need a key for the spare tire lock. Its double sided key and the locksmiths in Bells Corners said they couldn't make me one. Single sided yes, double sided no. Too complicated to get the tumblers lined up on both sides at the same time. Tried a whole ring full of old keys off vintage cars at our RV park and found 5 that matched the door handle but no double sided one worked the spare lock.

Vernon:
The 21-26 Durant cars have a unique key that is flat and has a small offset extension at the end. The blanks are very difficult to find. There were some on eBay a few years ago and they went expensive, at least for my taste. Will made his own key and so far it seems to work OK.
Gord

Where Are You From? Guelph, Ontario

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 Frontenac

Hi All.....

The key blanks that are used for bank safety deposit boxes are nice flat brass.

That is the blank I used to make the later Star / Durant keys with the forked nose.

Late 20's Chevies also used this forked key (imagine that).

If I remember my A-22 has a flat key but it is a different shape.

Frank ---

Where Are You From? Hookstown, Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? 16 Durant & Star cars & a Durant Dort buggy (one horse power)

I only saw the key that Rheal Meilleur has for his 24 A22. It is small and have never seen a blank like it.
I may try to borrow it and try it in my switch then make one.
Thanks Vern

Hey Stephan and Norm we should get together and check the old bliter out. I have the car in Greely. I am going to Florida for 3 weeks but will be back by Mar. 15, give me a call after that 613-445-9874.
Vern

Frank .. you saying the end is like a pickle fork ??

Friend of mine has a 35 Dodge since the late 60's and the key is weird and bent half way down like it got caught in an offset press. (straight bend straight)

I have a key off an Overland with slots both sides and two prongs at the bottom like a pickle fork.

We used to have ABC Locksmith that had blanks for anything possible but they up and vanished about 8 yrs ago.

Hi All......

Here is a picture of the key used in the Star & Durant that have the Clum combination ignition & lighting switch.

The upper brass one is one I made using a safety deposit box blank.

The bottom one is an original Clum # 2624

Norm, this is the pickle fork end type.

When I find the box with my A-22 ignition switch I will post a picture of that key.

Frank ---

Photobucket

Where Are You From? Hookstown, Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? 16 Durant & Star cars & a Durant Dort buggy (one horse power)

Hi Frank .. top one exactly the same idea as the Overland key I have, but lots more rust, grin.

Oops .. had. Just looked for it and must have tossed it out wondering why I kept the rusty key 40 odd yrs.

Sorry Frank I lied on two things. Older age and memory. I still have the key in our junk drawer and its exactly like the orig you show on the bottom. Just sharper slots than the worn one you picture. On the same chain is a later 20's Ford T key. I still have the 15 T coil box key we cut out of brass plate. Couldn't find a 1909 coil box so used the key / ignition part off a 15 box to the wooden box I made. Bit of cheating in the 60's grin.

The key was still in the ignition of a cowl forward Overland at Portland Ont turned into a power plant for a saw or something. Just rad, motor, tranny, cowl with kidney shaped gas tank and part frame. Gone for scrap now. He had the remains of two 1918 Brisco tourings as well.

I found my key on Ebay, for about $2, it was made by Clum, and works just fine. Looks like one key fits all, though I don't which model or years this would be true for. A quick search for Clum Key on google showed several sources for old keys.

Where Are You From? Utah

Do You own a car built by Durant? 25 Star

I think one just listed for anyone that is interested. Item # 350321178008

Where Are You From? Oviedo (near Orlando) Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 dr

Vernon:
The "Clum" key is the one used on Star automobiles. However, the Durant used a different key altogether. Somewhere, I have a picture of the key that you need, and I will post a picture if I can ever find it around here.
Gord

Where Are You From? Guelph, Ontario

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 Frontenac

Don't know how Frank got a good photo, but tried about 6 (reg, landscape and close up) and this is the best of the Overland key. Sure looks the same as ones used on Durant's or very similar, or Star's as Gord says.

Photobucket

I also have an original A22 Durant ignition key that suits combination ignition and light switch. The key was NOS as the switch box was purchased ex Hershey Swap (USA) and brought to Australia by an antique parts dealer. I bought it a number of years ago and key has no wear. If you wish me to trace it and send tracing via post I can. I just tried the electronic camera, battery is flat though. The key is not the shape as the photo shown on internet forum; it has an offset key head, one guide channel and a "knob" shape at the lock end. It is a universal key that fits all A22 ignitions. The "key" to theft proofing the car was the optional Yale gearstick lock, of which I have two, but no keys. Let me know if you need a tracing, would need your postal address though.
Cheers,
Bruce. NB: can measure it if you need me to also.

Where Are You From? Melbourne, Australia

Do You own a car built by Durant? Several A22 Durant cars

The Durant Motors Automobile Club