Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Generator wiring diagram

Does anyone have a generator wiring diagram for a 1928 D75 with the 15U motor? I am not sure of the generator make as it does not have a factory label mounted or a place for one, but has a letter/number string "stamped" into the main housing that begins with H and then about six numbers. I can get the numbers if need be for identification. To give some background information of the generator, it is a multi-pole (4 pole) with the two main brushes at 90 degrees with respect to each other and aligned with two of the four poles. The third brush is of the adjustable type. The generator field is also internally fused with a 20 amp fuse value. At idle, the generator charges @ 10 amps and increases to +30 amps at mid range rpm. I have moved the third brush from one end of the range to the other and is adjusted at the one limit to reduce the effect. This doesn't seem like the normal range for generators of this vintage. Does anyone have experience with this type of an issue? If no diagrams available, someone may have the same correct working setup and is willing to sketch out a diagram looking from the commutator end.

Where Are You From? Hyattsville Md

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Re: Generator wiring diagram

Hi Steve.....

Go back to the wiring diagrams. Click on Flint 1926-27.
This is the same engine as used in your Durant.

You can click on the diagram to enlarge it.

If you scroll down on the diagram you will find all the electrical specs.

Sounds like you are making good progress with your car........

Frank ---

Where Are You From? Hookstown, Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? 16 Durant & Star cars and a Durant-Dort buggy (one horse power)

Re: Generator wiring diagram

Thanks Frank! I was able to compare the Flint diagram with the way my generator is wired up. The output wire on mine was connected to the "third brush" instead of the positive main brush and that made all the difference in the world! Now I have one happy generator.

Where Are You From? Hyattsville Md

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

The Durant Motors Automobile Club