Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Positive or Negative Ground?

I know most of the cars in the 20's and 30's were, for the most part, positive ground. when I look at some of the wiring done as I received it, it suggests the car was negative ground. Presently I have it temporarily hooked up as negative ground. I am thinking it came from the factory as a positive grounded car, but don't have much information to know that for sure. Does anyone have information on the 1928 Durant D75 to know what polarity it came from the factory as? One of the reasons I am asking because I am having issues with the generator overcharging and want to rule out this being a possible cause.

Where Are You From? Hyattsville Md

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Re: Positive or Negative Ground?

Hi Steve.....

As far as I know all our cars are negative ground.

You can check the wiring diagrams in the Tech Pages. They all show negative ground.

Frank ---

Where Are You From? Hookstown, Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? 16 Durant & Star cars and a Durant-Dort buggy (one horse power)

ya beat me Frank was just replying.

If you put postive ground in search in Forum you will see this has been talked about before. Know 30 - 33 is neg ground and thought most cars were.

As Frank said 2007 If you look on the left hand side of this site and click on the Tech Page button, then go to electrical specifications, then wiring diagrams, you will find complete wiring diagrams for our cars. Hope this helps.

However Vince said his Star was postive ground Mar 2009

But Jim Greenamyer May 2009 Good call Frank! I don't know of any positive ground Durant cars?
Vince... according to our wiring diagrams located on the tech page (courtesy of Jan Arnett), The 1925 Star uses a 6 volt battery 3cvx-5x with the negative terminal ground. That means that the negative side of your coil should connect to the distributor. I believe that your car will run the other way, but I was taught to match the dist with the ground also. Jim G.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan

I agree with what the everybody is saying. You may find this interesting. Back in the 60s i bought a new battery and installed it in a 1952 Dodge it was 6 volt. Being young and not knowing. Every thing went well and the truck started but the amp gauge read backwards. I didn't know what was going on so i just left it as such. The battery actually discharged and the the polarity reversed. I had to completely discharge it and than recharge it with the correct polarity.The mechanic i bought it from got quite a chuckle out of this.Since having gone to trade school and working as a mechanic for the past 35 years I always think of that time in the 60s when ever i work with batteries or even think of them.

Where Are You From? Sherwood Park Alberta

Do You own a car built by Durant? D65

The Durant Motors Automobile Club