Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
New wheels and shims on axle.

Sirs :
Well I took my wheels to Regina Sask for John Kuraba to replace all the wood. Should be ready in a week.
No more wiggle - jiggle.

Question :

I am going to put the wheels back on.
My right axle had a shim that fitted over the axle where the "hub" rides on the axle.

I would like to know the scientific reason for this shim ?
I have new shims (various thicknesses) I got from George Moir in Edmonton.

What do I measure in making my decision about "just replacing" or "placing new" shimes ?

I could always put back the way I found, but I would like to understand the "math" (i.e. tolerances, measurements etc.) involved.

Where Are You From? Peace River Alberta

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 Touring M

Re: New wheels and shims on axle.

Guy:
I don't know much about the tolerances, but I always figured the reason you used a shim was because the axle/hole in the hub was worn and you could not tighten the axle nut up properly. Usually done through trial. Ford sold several thicknesses of shim stock, formed to axle, that you could try. Now you have to make your own.Don't know of a source.

Gord

Where Are You From? Guelph, Ontario

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 Frontenac

Thanks for reply Gord.

I will take into consideration when putting on the nuts.
Although I would like to know tolerances.

And I have a source for the shims, George Moir's inEdmonton Alberta 780-963-6187; they ship anywheres.

Hi Guy....

These shims are available from any of the antique Ford suppliers (even me).

The Mac's part number is: B 4235SH

Here is the quoted description:

AXLE SHIM
TIGHTENS LOOSE WHEEL ON WORN AXLE ALSO PREVENTS BRAKE DRUM FROM RUBBING THE BACKING PLATE

Hope this helps......

Frank ---

Where Are You From? Hookstown, Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? 16 Durant & Star cars & a Durant Dort buggy (one horse power)

Thanks Frank:

Your:
AXLE SHIM
TIGHTENS LOOSE WHEEL ON WORN AXLE ALSO PREVENTS BRAKE DRUM FROM RUBBING THE BACKING PLATE

is very helpful and understandable to me...

guy

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 Model m

The Durant Motors Automobile Club