Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Antique Cars & Women Drivers

Hi All....

I need your HELP !!!

Cathy has decided that she wants to learn to drive one of our old cars. I think it's a great idea....BUT.....!

She has never driven a stick shift.She is a very good driver, has no problem with any vehicle as long as it's an automatic.

My first thought is a VERY LARGE and empty field or parking lot. Then what car should I start her out on? The closest thing to an automatic would be one of our Ford Model T's. I also think an open car (Touring or Roadster) would be easier and lighter to handle and also easier to see where you are going with the top down.

Now the car that would be the most practical would be one of our Stars. I also have more spare tranmissions and other parts for them.

The next hurdle is she wants to be able to drive one of our cars at the National meet in Lancaster! I think the song "I want to drive a Durant" must be stuck in her head.

How about some suggestions. Have you ever taught anyone to drive one of your old cars???

Frank ---

Where Are You From? Hookstown, Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? 16 Durant & Star cars & a Durant Dort buggy (one horse power)

Re: Antique Cars & Women Drivers

I taught my 15 year old daughter how to drive in our Star. After a couple of lurching starts she had it mastered. We just drove down the driveway and on to the road and away we went. Of course that was 15 years ago and in a rural setting. I liked the touring car because it was easier to see what was going on around us. She did just fine and she had not had any driving experience to fall back on. Looks like your wife may need her own fleet of cars. An empty parking lot would be a great place to start. Have fun and good luck.

Where Are You From? Prineville, Oregon

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 Star Touring

I learned to drive a stick shift by driving around the yard on a tractor! I was only about 8 years old at the time. By age 12 I was wheeling around the same yard on a model "A" chassis with a seat an a 5 gal gas can bolted on top. Surprised we never flipped it!

Since Cathy's past that young age and an accomplished driver, I say let her loose in a Star! If it breaks .... put her in another... then another....ect...

Where Are You From? Ohio

Do You own a car built by Durant? Flint 80

My wife is a great driver and would trust her with anything. But I find that I was not the best person to teach her and 40 years ago I let her practice in a field. But with my D65 I would get somebody else to show her how. Mainly because I don't drive it enough to feel confident about teaching her.There is nothing worse than teaching somebody the wrong way.
Besides right now we get along great.So why would I want to spoil it

Where Are You From? Sherwood Park Alberta

Do You own a car built by Durant? D65

Frank
I think its a great idea. I've taught two sons, a brother in law and a niece to drive manual but used my TR6 as the car to do it in. I used a School parking lot on a weekend when nobody was there and had them shifting in about an hour or so. First you have to have patience and not make them any more nervous than they already are. I started by just having them feel the clutch and when it started to grab. I had them do that several times before getting them to go through the gears. Teaching to double clutch might be a bit more challenging, but you can do it. It will be great to see her drive her car at Lancaster. Maybe she'll give me a ride.

Where Are You From? Oviedo (near Orlando) Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 dr

Frank,

I think if it were my wife learning to drive a stick shift I would have here read the Instruction and Operation manual intill she could recite it word for word and then turn her loose in one of your cars and watch from behind one of the biggest trees around.

Where Are You From? Leavenworth, WA / Yuma, AZ

Do You own a car built by Durant? '23 A-22 Touring / '29 M-40 Coupe

Mary learned to drive a tractor and the farm truck at 12 yrs of age and I drove several cars at that age as well as motorcycles. I could shift gears and double clutch with ease--we where 12 and very confident.
Now, I would suggest learning in a fun car or truck. The best is probably something like a Ford Focus or a small pickup with a floor shift. YES, an all syncro trans. Getting the feel is very important as is listening to the engine. Then learn to shift without using the clutch, that's fun. That also involves a lot of double clutching. Then move to a non-syncro trans.
BY AFTERNOON THERE WILL BE ONLY A FEW KINKS TO WORK OUT>

Where Are You From? Whitby, ON

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

I think the easiest stick shift to learn on is a VW Beetle. The gears must be made of rubber!

I taught my daughter to drive a stick on my Porsche. What a dumb idea! The clutch is either on or off - there's no in between.

Where Are You From? North of San Francisco

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star

Hi All.....

THANKS for all the insight and suggestions. I know Cathy can learn quickly, she just needs an incentive. I think Lancaster will be that incentive.

With all the snow we have (now close to 30 inches) I may need Jim G. to modify one of our cars to 4 wheel drive.

I like the idea of a tractor. Since Jack's old Star doodle bug tractor is sitting out in the field, we could get it running and use it for drivers ed.

If and when the snow melts we will get started....soon as I find the largest tree!

Frank ---

Where Are You From? Hookstown, Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? 16 Durant & Star cars and a Durant-Dort buggy (one horse power)

The Durant Motors Automobile Club