Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Modern axles for Durant, Star, Rugby. to 1929

Enquiring if any interest exists for the manufacture of axles to suit all Durant, Star and Rugby vehicles to 1929 models. To the best of my knowledge the outer tapered bearings are like hens teeth and if available extremely expensive. David Cornell of Albury, NSW, Australia; is an engineer and with his son in law has investigated making up axles from modern metallurgical material on CNC lathes which will not be as prone to breakage or twist as with the original steel. Costing in Australian Dollars is $333.35 [approx US $300] {plus GST (10%) in Australia} plus packaging, freight and insurance for each unit consisting of; Axle, Bearing and adaptor, modern seal, key and nyloc nut. Nyloc nut preferred as considerably cheaper than castellated nuts which are difficult to source.

The bearing is a common sourced wheel bearing which requires an adaptor to fit to the smaller diameter of the axle, and the outer diameter fits in the housing as per original. It is slightly thinner than the original but the adjustments on the axles will compensate for this.

The packing will consist of suitable drainage pipe with end caps to seal out moisture during transit. We believe this price to be reasonable and should there be an influx of interest price could be reduced by volume production. David’s son in law will be the manufacturer at his factory in Albury and is making minimal profit at the aforementioned price. David and I will be the first customers with two units each. If production reached say 50 units then some saving could be applied. I think this is reasonable when compared to A model Ford axles at near $350.00 each.

If anyone is interested in obtaining these axles please email me. donoghoe38@bigpond.com.au

Where Are You From? Canberra; Australia

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 D66 Deluxe Sedan

The Durant Motors Automobile Club