Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Generator / Voltage Regulator Help Needed

Sirs :

I think my charging gauge (on dash) does not work.
I think my generator is charging but once this summer battery was dead.

So:
I got a volt-meter. Have been doing tests, all tests were done with engine running.

Test #1 on battery poles show 6.0 volts.

Test #2 on wire leaving regulator and headed for charge gauge says 19.0 volts.

Test #3 on power at starter switch (on floorboard) shows 10.0 volts.

Now, I believe that the black box (about 1"X3"X2") screwed into the casing on my generator is the regular (TRUE/FALSE)?

It has a one wire going into the generator casing and the second wire to the charge gauge, I believe). The second wire is showing 19.0 volts.

So :

Am I checking corrent places ?

What is this 6.0, 10.0, 19.0 volt readings?

What is his 19.0 volt (Test #2) reading from the regulator ?

What (apart from verifying my charge gauge) should I be doing next ?

And should the voltage ouptut of my generator change depending on engine RPM ?

Thanks and Hi to one and all
Guy

Where Are You From? Peace Riverab

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 Model M

Re: Generator / Voltage Regulator Help Needed

Dear Guy,
I am a farmer who deals with dead batteries and alternators all the time on tractors. The first thing you need to do is with the motor off, put your volt meter on the battery and read the voltage. Then start the motor and read the voltage again. The volt meter should read probably 7 or 8 or 9 volts. Maybe rev the motor to about 1200 RPMs. This will tell you if the charging system is working. If it stays at 6 volts the charging system is not working. And if it is charging you are done. If it doesn’t charge check the regulator generator connections. This little test would be a good starting place. Post it again if this test doesn’t work.
Don

Where Are You From? Bakersfield

Do You own a car built by Durant? Soon to be Star dirt track racer

Hi Guy....

If you need a new cut out. They are available at most tractor supply stores or catalogs. Used on many tractors into the 1950's.

Frank ---

Where Are You From? Hookstown, Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? 16 Durant & Star cars & a Durant Dort buggy (one horse power)

Re: Generator / Voltage Regulator Help Needed + Polarization

Hi Frank :

Pardon my ignorance but what is a "new cut out"

And as long as I am on the forum.

Do I polarize a newly connected generator by connecting the wire coming out of my generator casing (to the regulator) to the positive pole of my battery ???

Hi Guy...

The "cut out" is the part you are calling a voltage regulator. The small rectangular box. This is really a simple relay. It was used before voltage regulators became popular.

If you go to Valu-Bilt Tractor at www.valu-bilt.com search for part # A 574459 (be sure to leave the space after the A) you will find an illustration of this part. Cost is @ $25.

Frank ---

Where Are You From? Hookstown, Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? 16 Durant & Star cars and a Durant-Dort buggy (one horse power)

Guy si tu as encore des problemes avec ton system de charge envoie moi un email.

Je suis moi-meme mecanicien,
je peux t'expliqué comment cela fonctionne et comment faire les test avant d'acheter des pieces.

Where Are You From? Montreal Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? Durant Star 1926 coupe

Here's how Google translated Henri's message:

"Guy if you still have problems with your charging system sends me an email.

I myself am a mechanic,
I can tell you how it works and how the testing before purchasing pieces"

Where Are You From? North of San Francisco

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but is Guy's method of polarization of the generator correct? Do I just jumper momentarily the battery positive to the the generator post to which the cutout wire runs?

Since I've had everything apart for a while, seems like ensuring the proper polarization of the generator wouldn't be a bad idea.
Thanks.

Where Are You From? Marysville, Kans

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Durant A-22 Touring

Polarizing any three brush generator is extremely easy. Simply touch a wire to each side of the relay for about a second. That's it! Crank er up!!

Where Are You From? Texarkana, Tx

Do You own a car built by Durant? several

Thanks Don. Electrical theory has always been a weakness of mine!

Where Are You From? Marysville, Kans

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Durant A-22 Touring

Hi Guy. One way to test if the genrator is working is to start the car.While it is running, disconnect the hot cable.( the red one) If the motor stops , the genrator is not working, as the motor is using the battery for power , If the motor keeps on running the motor is useing the genrator, therefof the genrator is working, hope this helps. Bert

Where Are You From? American Canyon Cal,

Do You own a car built by Durant? Stars

Hi Burt,
Thanks for the Christmas card.
Hi Sonya.
Don

Where Are You From? Bakersfield

Do You own a car built by Durant? Racingrust

The Durant Motors Automobile Club