Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
1933 Continental Convertible

This seems to be the closest site as I've found for people that might be interested in the DeVaux-Continental of 1933-34.

I collect automobiles, boats, and other modes of transportation that bear the "Continental" name.

From what I've learned the C/DV was a continuation of the DeVaux line after the Continental Engine Company acquired the assets to settle debt.

I've read that the leftover DeVaux body parts were used in initial production, but I don't know how that would work. I'm led to believe that the DeVaux were steel over wood with front hinged doors and the Continental cars were all-steel suicide door cars. That's a bit of a tooling change.

I would like to add a C/DV to my collection. I know I'm asking the impossible, but I'd like a convertible to go along with my other "Continental" convertibles. I know they offered a convertible, but I've never actually seen a picture of one, let alone a car in person.

Please, feel free to correct me if my facts are askew.

Barry Wolk
Farmington Hills, MI

"Continental Collection"

Where Are You From? Farmington Hills, MI

Do You own a car built by Durant? No, but I collect all things with the Continental name

Re: 1933 Continental Convertible

Seems to me this discussion came up in AACA last year regarding a Continental convertible someone wanted for his collection of cars. There was no such car made. Two and four door sedan's, coup and roadster only.

In 1933 the Continental Motor Company took over production of De Vaux cars when the De Vaux company went out of business. Continental produced three models under its name Ace, Beacon and Flyer in 1933 and one model, the Beacon, in 1934, before Continental Motors faded into history.

In Canada, Under Domionion Motors, they were called Frontenac's. C400 (US Beacon) and C600 (US Flyer) made 1933 and 34 until production stopped. Dominion Motors finally gave up their charter 1944. Two C400 and one C600 still exist.

This site has limited info and is incorrect in saying Ace was called the 633. As we now know, 633 was a Durant and two exist.
http://www.durantcars.com/catalogs/continental/index.shtml

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan

That was probably me. Maybe my terms are messed up. The literature I've seen clearly shows a two seater with a folding cloth top. Is that not a convertible?

Where Are You From? Michigan

Roadster is two seater with soft top and convertible is a touring with front and back seats, and soft top for better words.
Theres a few pics in photo section of this site for DeVaux's and yes front post hinged doors like Durant's where as Conny / Fronty of 33 / 34 are suicide doors. 31 / 32 Fronty's are hinged same as Durant and DeVaux.

OK, thanks for the education. I want a Roadster. Got one?

Got a photograph of one?

Good luck in finding any Conny or Fronty's now. Very very few exist world wide.

I've no photos of such cars. My interest stops at 32 when cars were square looking. 33 and later cars are just not my liking even if they are sort of a continuation of Durant Motors after the failure March 1931, by DeVaux Hall / Dominion Motors.

I checked back in past Forum's and perhaps this fellow can help you.

Daryl Jordan Oct 23, 2008 darylcontinental@gmail.com

Hi My Name is Daryl.I am trying to save a piece of auto history called the Continental line. I am looking for any cars, parts and literature for the 1933 Continental; Beacon, Ace, Flyer,or Frontenac C 400 and C 600. I have been collecting them for a while most of them are 4 Door but there is 1, 2 Door in the garage. The Beacon and Ace are the closest to having the most parts to get started on a full restoration. The Flyer is an incomplete basket case but the parts are good. I am still looking to up grade or trade parts. Daryl PH#(425)221-3275. Any additional info anyone else might have would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks to all.

I sent him an e-mail about two hours ago. Great minds think like.

Hi All...

Doesn't Myron have a Cabriolet?

What did he have at Hershey this fall? Class 20 A.

Welcome Barry to the DMAC forum. Been following some of your posts on the AACA forum.

Frank ---

Where Are You From? Hookstown, Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? 16 Durant & Star cars & a Durant Dort buggy (one horse power)

Frank:
Myron does have a 32 Cabriolet. One of only 3 known to exist. One is in the Grand Rapids Museum and the other owned by a doctor in Argentina. (He contacted me about a year ago.) Myron,s car (the 32) is in our photograph section.
The 31 that Myron had at Hershey is pictured on page 53 of the Nov/Dec AACA mag. I know Myron was pleased to complete a wood wheeled car.
Gary

Where Are You From? Washington State

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Hi Frank and Gary ... as far as DeVaux's yes Myron does have a roadster / cabriolet as shown in photo's section. However Barry is interested in Continental 33 / 34 roaster. Can't say if Beacon ever came out other than sedan in 1934.

I noted before we have no Continental photo section in our site, to show cars owned like Charles, Bob, and those in Terry's registry. Nor are the three 1933 Frontys shown either in Fronty section, eh Steve and Steve, hint hint. The Delta Ont C600 there are pics around as it sat in the field not far from me, slowly rusting.
Would give others an idea what these cars look like.

hello guys
ive talked about this before with various people who are more knowledgeable than i,ive seen the devaux cabriolet that is now owned by myron,this is the ex harrahs car,i tried to buy it in the late 60s or early seventies,was sold to a gal in neveda, then to howard reinke,then myron purchased it an finished the restoration,forest sweet in texas had a second cabriolet about the same time i tried to purchase it but was unsucessful,later ended up in the grand rapids museum,there is another cabriolet in south or central america but ive been unsucessful in finding it,a while back i purchased a picture of a convertible on ebay it was in new england in about 1960,ive talked with gary an he seems to think it is the forest sweet car,ive tried to find production numbers on the convertible without sucess,after talking to howard reinke in michigan he seems to think no more than 3 or 4 cabriolets where ever produced,last year a rumor about a continental convertible arose but i was never able to find i or even a picture of one,has anybody tried getting a hold of continental motors in alabama to see if they have info in there archives,i to would be intrested in the continental, dave enrico

Where Are You From? so california

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1931 devaux

Get in line.

Where Are You From? Farmington Hills, MI

Do You own a car built by Durant? No, but I collect all things with the Continental name

Barry,
Norm is correct. My sources list the below data:
Continental auto came from the assets of the De Vaux-Hall Motor Corporation on Feb 13, 1932. Three Models in 1933; All had Continental engines:

1933 Beacon C400; 101.5inch WB,4 Cyl,40HP@2800 RPM from 143 CID. Cheapest was the $355 dollar 2 Pass Roadster, 3.25"X17"inch tires. Wt:1,960 Lbs. 10.5 Gal fuel tank, 40 MPG.
1933 Flyer C600 Light 6; 107"inch WB, 6Cyl,65HP@3500 RPM.
1933 Ace 80 Big 6; 114"inch WB,6Cyl 85HP@3600 RPM,
Top model Ace Big 6 sedan $785.
2,504 cars delivered in first year of production.
Sixes were discontinued at the end of this model year.

1934 Beacon; 4 Models: 2 Pass Coupe and 2 Door Sedan(Both $380) Two 4 Door Sedans (Std $393 and Deluxe $460). All 101.5"inch WB, 38HP @ 2600 RPM. Continental referred to the 1934 series as the Continental Red Seal Four. 953 cars produced. Final year of production

Continental ceased production of cars in July 1934.
Norman de Vaux tried to produce a Beacon like De Vaux Four Forty-Four. When that failed he tried again Beaconizing the Four Forty Four into the De Vo.

De Vo,(1936-1937) organized in Haggerstown Maryland 1936, One Prototype extent. No production listed.
Norman De Vaux joined Hupp and as general manager was responsible for the Hupmobile Skylark of 1939-1940.

Refs: Encyclopedia of American CARS,1930 to 1942, James H. Moloney, Crestline Books.
Standard Catalog of American CARS 1805-1942, Beverly Ray Kimes and Henry Austin Clark Jr. Krause Publications.

My guess is that in 1933 no more than 250 Continental Beacon C400 Roadsters (10%) of total production were produced. Maybe as low as 5% or 125 produced? As Open cars were fading fast. Compared to Closed cars at the Same price, closed ones were a Much better Value! No model production records.
Lance C.

Where Are You From? Niceville Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 25 Locomobile JR-8 Brougham, 25 Loco JR-8 Sedan, 26 Loco JR-8 Roadster project, 30 Durant 610 Deluxe Sedan

Thank you. Any production information on the number of Roadsters made?

Barry,
My guess is that in 1933 no more than 250 Continental Beacon C400 Roadsters (10%) of total production (2504) were produced. Maybe as low as 5% or 125 produced? As Open cars were fading fast.

Compared to Closed cars at the Same price, Closed ones were a Much better Value! These were tough times when people went for the BEST value. This would also explain why this Beacon open Roadster model was dropped in 1933, with NO open model offered in 1934.

Chevy did likewise and made no Roadster models after 1934, and only 217 Chevy Phaeton (Touring 4Dr) models in 1935 (probably leftover 1934 bodies).

No Continental model production records available.

Lance C.

Where Are You From? Niceville Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 25 Locomobile JR-8 Brougham, 25 Loco JR-8 Sedan, 26 Loco JR-8 Roadster project, 30 Durant 610 Deluxe Sedan

Thanks Lance. Had me going through books regarding roadster versus cabriolet. They were roadsters having doors same as phaetons, folding or rigid windshield posts. Cabriolet has doors like closed cars to top of the windshield and usually landeau arms to lock the tops in place.

This is much like our enigma on the 633. Did Dominion Motors actually produce the 633 in production or were they only promo cars one of each body style ? We have a coup, a tudor sedan and rumor of another four door sedan perhaps. None the same. If only promo, why do the catalogues carry parts for years after ? Like Conny no records seem to exist on our cars 31 - 34.

Gentlemen, I did end up buying a '33 Continental Flyer out of CT.

Still looking for a Roadster. I now know they existed. KBB shows them and a 1940 parts book shows them, too. They were available in both Beacon and Flyer models. The difference between the two were 2 cylinders and 6 inches in length, all in the hood and fenders. The passenger cabins were the same.

i have the remains of a four door cotinental beacon plus info/ on
it plus tha ace.

Where Are You From? new zealand

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 s4 rugby 1927 model r rugby

I am from Michigan. Just outside Detroit. Where are you? Do you have a C-400 engine block? I know someone that is looking for one.

You have an Ace? I'd be interested in that.

Barry .. hasn't the C400 engine been solved by Steve L and Lisa ? Or is this another ? Lad with a C400 Fronty has a more modern power train and comes from that car. There's a Forum item on that.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan by Dominion Motors

Not as of a month ago. I just put her in touch with a couple of gents from Oz.

Parts wanted etc forum DEc 3rd Continental Engine - 4 cylinder (C400) engine

Far as I knew it was a done deal. Its between her and Creemore owner. Steve and I talk over emails almost daily.

That would be great if they found one.

Now find me a Continental Flyer Roadster.

Sending Steve a mail right now over it.

Stop being greedy .. Next you'll want a 1936 DeVaux or whatever the year was that one supposedly was built.

No, I only collect cars with the "Continental" moniker.

Oh Lincoln or Ford Continental's ?? ha ha.

Yes I know you collect Conny cars ... Ace, Flyer, and Beacon.

No, just transportation with the name. I have a '56 Continental Mark II convertible, a '55 Porsche "Continental"Cabrio, a '56 Chris Craft Continental, a '68 Lincoln Continental limo, a '68 custom Continental Mark III convertible and a '22,000 mile '77 Lincoln Continental Town Car.

Here's the update from Steve ...

As for Lisa and Bill coming to terms?? on their engine deal, I haven't contacted either after phone numbers were exchanged. I'm just the matchmaker in this one. Hope it works out for both parties they are all good helpful people.

Guess the ball is in Lisa's court so to speak.

I hope they work it out. Love to see another Continental on the road again.

Question, was Continental the only one to use a quarter-elliptical rear springs and a single shackle on the transverse front spring?

I've never owned a car this old a car but I found it very well behaved. There's no side to side "buggy" motion. It's short wheelbase makes for a wild ride on railroad tracks, though.

That I have no idea. That's not old. Most clubs are 1932 and prior, with after vehicles special interest. 1933 was cars not square looking anymore. Its a matter of taste I guess what you like. One reason, I personally, would not own or want 33 and up. We formed our clubs in the past on 32 and prior and now have EOVAR, Eastern Ont Vintage Auto Registry, for vehicles 32 and prior, nothing newer allowed.

Nothing new in cars that hasn't been used or tried before. Number of cars used quarter-elliptic springs, Overland for one. Just checked my 490 Chevy parts book and the 1916 490 before GM, and 1917 and later 490 GM Chevy, had front and back quarter springs. As examples of cars.

This ones not a convert but if your into Continentals there's an 1933 Ace 41 for sale by Classic Cars.Com big $$$ but it's a beaut.

Where Are You From? Mississauga Ontario Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? No Built by Dominion Motors Frontenac C-400

While I see you on this site can you please froward details for the registry on your 1933 Continentals or any others that fit the bill. Thank you

Where Are You From? Mississauga Ontario Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? No Built by Domininon Motors Canada

It's a 1933 4-door Continental Flyer #1286 107" wheelbase 6-cylinder 65hp motor. Everything works except the gas gauge. It was repainted sometime in its past, but the experts can't tell when. The engine was freshened sometime after the holes in the oil pan were welded up. The interior has been recovered, not well, but recovered, I drove the car across Michigan after taking everything apart and inspecting all moving parts. Found no wear at 50,000 miles so I put it back to factory specs and braved the back roads at 45 mph. I was inspired by my friend Jonathan Klinger, who drove his Model-A for a year. It's a crowd pleaser. It was in 5 concours and took 5 trophies, even though it's rounder than a '32.

My next oldest Continental is a '55 Porsche Continental Cabrio followed by a '56 Continental Mark II convertible, one of three made. I have a Chris Craft Continental and several Lincoln Continentals, but nothing else in this age group. Owning a car of this age is a challenge I'm most willing to meet.

I'm looking for a 1934 MG Continental and a 1937 Triumph Continental, if you happen to know of any. The S-1 Bentley Continental convertible and Cunningham Continental C-3 convertible are, sadly, out of my range.

Well Barry .. you will have to look for these Contential's also for your collection.

Moose Jaw Standard (CDN) 1916 - 1918 Often referred to as Continentals

Continental (US) 1907 by Continental Motor Co Chicago Ill

Continental (US) 1907 - 1909 by University Automobile Co New Haven Conn

Continental (US) 1909 - 1914 by Indiana Motor & Mfg Co Franklin Ind

Continental (US) 1914 by Continental Engine MFG Co Minneapolis Minn

You've broadened my horizons.

Barry:
I came across a 65 C. 4 dr convert for sale in my area. Restoration was started by the LaMay Foundation but sold as they downsized a few years back.
Let me know if you would want pictures I can send you. Price would possibly be only the storage fees.
Gary garyyelle@msn.com

Do You own a car built by Durant? kind of..

Gary I am very interested in the 33 convert if you could send pictures and price to my email address i would be very happy. DON

Where Are You From? Utah

Do You own a car built by Durant? '29 M4

Don ... I think Gary is talking about a 1965 Lincoln Continental convertible. Same on Craig's list, in search. Actually a number of these things for sale.

As far as we know Conny didn't make a two or four door phaeton 1933.

Yes they did. They made a 2-door Roadster for the US and a 4-door Phaeton bodied by Richards in Australia.

Well there you go, per Barry.

Roadster is not a phaeton. However phaeton's can be two or four door cars. Model A Ford a good example, where front bucket seat folds to allow people to get in or out of the back. Bet Barry didn't know Ford T's were one and three door open cars US. Roadster one door, tourings three doors, because of the hand lever for the tranny. The drivers door was a dummy and only a body stamping. In Canada however we had all two or four doors. Saw a T touring in the 60's outside Ottawa, owned by a club member, and wondered why no door drivers side. Because he brought the car in from the US.

Sounds like you like to argue just to argue.

You are wrong, but that's OK. Roadsters did exist, but if you don't believe me you can ask Phil Skinner, head of classic cars for KBB, which actually keeps factual records, based on used car sales prices, not just conjecture. The roadster is listed in all of Continental sales literature, a parts supply manual printed in the '40s and in the service manual.

Just because one isn't extant doesn't mean they weren't built. Geez!

Ha ha .. Didn't say roadsters didn't exist. We said they did right at the beginning of all this. What am I wrong about ? Put your glasses on, Sheesh. Your the only one arguing.

MY CAR HAS BROKEN FRAME AT WISHBONES,MISSING HOOD, RADIATOR SHELL AND GRILL. I SUBTITUTED A 4 CYL CONT F HEAD WHICH HAS SINCE BEEN REMOVED. NEED PARTS OR IT IS GOING TO BE STREET ROD

Where Are You From? KENTUCKY

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1933 BEACON BUILT BY CONTINENTAL 5 WINDOW COUPE

I can't pull up your E-mail on my computer. Please contact me as I am interested. Garyyelle@msn.com.
Thanks, Gary

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Gary ... does this not work for you ? TREETOPS40330@GMAIL.COM

We have sent an email for Registry info on the coupe.

Do You own a car built by Durant? Dominion built 1932 614 Sedan

The Durant Motors Automobile Club