Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
oddity of a Durant

Hello,

I recently acquired a Durant from my grandfather. this old truck has sit in his back yard for many years. i wanted the truck for years, and finally got it about a year ago (although i just brought it home a couple months ago)

what i am wondering though, is there any way to ID the model if the original engine is gone, and the body plate cant be found?

both doors have plates on them that are not readable, but i can not find a body id tag under the hood. according to the title, it was a 612 (ill explain why i say "was" in a minute), but the hood is totally different then most of the pictures i can find. mine has spears on the sides of the hood. 5 to be exact.

as to why i say "was", in 1934 the car was cut in half, and a wood bed built on it. the car was bought new by my grandpa's dad in 1931. mine also has a hand-crank windshield wiper, which, from what i can find, 1930 and 1931 should have automatic wipers.

so in short, how can I find out what i actually have here? i have pics i can send anyone interested

Where Are You From? Kentucky

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1931 Durant 612 "truck"

Re: oddity of a Durant

Josh, Of coarse, send pics. We all love a puzzle and will be glad to help you out.

Where Are You From? Texarkana, Tex

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star C touring, 1927 Star M coupe

YOU SAY 612, BUT SPEARS WERE USUALLY 6-14 IN 1930 AND 1931...POSSIBLE 407 TOO? DID YOU LOOK ON THE PASSENGER TOE BOARDS FOR AN ID PLATE. SOME WERE THERE

Where Are You From? plymouth meeting, pa. u.s.a.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1931 6-14 4 dr. "coach" ; 1929 durant model 70 coupe ; 1925 star "F" roadster

Don, i will get the pics uploaded to photobucket today and post the link

Gary, i'll have to check the toe board. i honestly have no clue on the model; i just guessed 612 because of the title. who knows if it was typed onto the title right though, lol. i would bet it was not a 612. i showed my grandpa pictures of 612s and he said they looked nothing like it did, of course he was under 10 years old when it was made into a truck.

i'll get those pictures uploaded and check the toe board for anything i can find. could the plates on each door mean anything?

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1931 Durant 612 "truck"

Josh
Tags on the doors are only info about the door manufacturer. I think you have a 614 from the spears. Mine is 614 and is the only one I have seen with spears but seems like guys say others have them too. I am no expert.
Ken

Where Are You From? Kamloops B C Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 durant model 614 deluxe rumble seat coupe

I now have the pics uploaded

I need to get some engine pics of this thing. It has a 75 Datsun 4 cyl/4 speed in it right now. From what ive been told, it had the original 6 cyl, then a chevy 6 cyl, a 350, the datsun motor, and i think he mentioned one other engine .

Anyway, here is the pic link

http://s280.photobucket.com/albums/kk192/Bloo71/31%20Durant%20Truck/

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1931 Durant 612? 614? "truck"

After looking at photos of my 1930 407, there are some similarities. Hood and windshield are similar. Headlights and bumper are different. Clearly, the wheels are not original, but then there are others in the club that are better at this than I am.
charlie

Where Are You From? NJ CA HI

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 Durant 6-63, 1930 Durant 407, 1931 Durant 619

the hood is 6-14...headlite bar and maybe headlites are also...but....i think it may be mpounted on a later pickup truck frame...see the raised grille shell on tabs with a spacer and left front frame horn seems to have another frame level above or under...does the frame have cable pull steeldraulic brakes or are they hydraulic brakes with steel brake lines????? durant had cable brakes...wheels could be 16' or later 15' would be a good thing to check....especially if it had a v-8 at one time you would expect later brakes...chevy pickup axles bolt to durant springs with no problem....it is a neat one...dash is 6-14 also....so probably cowl also and therefore doors....

Where Are You From? plymouth meeting, pa. u.s.a.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1931 6-14 4 dr. "coach" ; 1929 durant model 70 coupe ; 1925 star "F" roadster

Hi All.....

My vote is for a 614 also. But could also have been a 407. Depending if the original engine was a 4 or a 6.

I would imagine it was originally a standard 4 door sedan. Since the coaches used a hood with regular louvers.

Wonder how many times this car was re powered?

Frank ---

Where Are You From? Hookstown, Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? 16 Durant & Star cars & a Durant Dort buggy (one horse power)

i had noticed and wondered about the spacer under the radiator. im not real sure why that is there. it is SUPPOSED to be on the original frame, but i can tell you for sure the front and rear axles are out of a 51 chevy. its been converted to hydralic clutch and brakes. the brake and clutch system is off the 75 datsun the engine came from.

i guess now would be a good time to mention my grandpa has worked in everything from a tractor dealership, to a rolls royce dealership, as a mechanic. his dad, the original owner, owned his own independent repair shop also.

i do have another question. by toe board, i assume you mean the wooden floor? if that is the case, im guessing the original floor was not made of plywood, correct?

and, these things never came with radios, correct? it has some kind of antenna mounted on the driver side cowl panel

Is the rad shell even Durant the way it balloons out ? and why the spacer. Crest is and probably added to the present shell. Crank hole is in the shell skirt, not shell edge as this is, and crank hole cover would hang past the shell edge.

Nope plywood wasn't used on floorboards. This should have a VIN plate attached to passenger side toe board. Radio an after thought from research so far on Durant's to 1933.

Not much left of orig Durant.

My vote is also 1930 614. Hood used on standard, special and deluxe 614's. Not sure if special was offered in US.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan

What are your plans for this mechanical marvel?

Dave

Where Are You From? Iowa

Josh,
Do you want to sell the hood since not much is original or even an old car. I have a car like this and need a hood for it. Thanks.

Lance C.
Home:(850)678-2687, Work: (850)882-3862
Niceville FL.

Where Are You From? Niceville Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 25 Locomobile JR-8 Brougham, 25 Loco JR-8 Sedan, 26 Loco JR-8 Roadster project, 30 Durant 610 Deluxe Sedan

mechanical marvel, i like that
the other half and I have been talking about that very thing (along of how many of you are going to form a lynch mob for me when i tell you, LOL) She thinks i should make it back into a car. My plans are a bit different

my plan is to make a truck bed for it, and make the back of a truck cab onto it. I enjoy fabrication, and am not afraid of a welder, though i know it will be a project and a half. it is going to have a chevy 6 cyl, with a 3 speed for power. with the axles that are under it, im planning to put a set of cragar SS wheels on it. past that i haven't decided on much, other then general old-vehicle repair.

Lance, I'll keep my eye out for you, but i really want to build this into something (and my grandpa would murder me if i parted it out)

Josh
We all won't cringe too much, since it is already a hodge podge of Durant and other parts. It's when someone takes a good 100% original car and chops it up that most of us get upset at. They ain't making them anymore and future generations need to know what an original authentic Durant or Star looks like. You might email member Bruce Butler, who has posted on this forum before. He has a Durant truck with a more modern Chevrolet engine in it. He's had to modify it a bit. Might have some pointers for you.

Where Are You From? Oviedo (near Orlando) Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 dr

Josh,
No problem I identify with you and like Mike, I was glad that you are doing something with it. The "Car/Flatbed-Truck" idea sounds interesting since it's almost there anyway. Go for it!

I do have another (nice) "Two-sets of verticle Louvers" type hood to trade (?), this might make it it look more "old". Also I have some other parts extra to fit this 30 Durant if you are interested.

Also Three 29-31 Chevy 6 Cyl Cars, and lots of Chevy parts & stuff, (3) 55,56,57 Chevy Cars/parts, Plus two 59 Chevy Trs;and lots of 55 to 59 TRUCK Parts. Lastly a 77 GMC 4X4 SWB Pickup 350/350 Trans, w/Eldebrock setup & Headers (complete, but rusty) for sale/trade to help your "Project". Finally I have several Pont 77-81 Trans Ams for sale or parts too. If interested, call or e-mail me? Take care.

Lance C.

Where Are You From? Niceville Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 25 Locomobile JR-8 Brougham, 25 Loco JR-8 Sedan, 26 Loco JR-8 Roadster project, 30 Durant 610 Deluxe Sedan

I think it has a lot of potential. Back in the 70's when everyone was starting car clubs, I proposed a "Converted Car Club" to memorialize the farm-shop conversions that made trucks and tractors and wagons and trailers, etc, out of cars. I thought that portion of the desperate 30's and car-starved 40's should be remembered. Too many of them just got scrapped or partsed out. Whatever.

A Ford or Dodge pickup box might work. You'll need rear fenders. Taller wheels would look better, perhaps 550-16 radials such as sold for older Jaguars.

There are a lot of possibilities for engine. I'd stick to a six. Ford 300, Ford Maverick 200/250, or Jeep 4.0 liter. All very respectable engines. If you want an old-looking engine, a Mopar flathead six would do it. Still being scrapped every day. Last used in Power Wagons and Farm equipment.

You need a 5 speed, a truck has to have a floor shift!.

If you search for antiquetractorsforum and jdcrawler, you'll find his step by step work on a T Ford conversion restoration. Pretty interesting.

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

mike, thanks for the info. im glad no one will get to mad

lance, ill probably take you up on some parts-- im looking for an old 235 chevy truck 6 cyl; i can find 250s pretty easy but i want the older look of the 235. id really like to keep the spear hood on this one though (it needs a lot of work to get the hinges working right anyway)

cdmn, i do agree on it having potential. its pretty rusty, but nothing a welder and some 18 gauge black steel cant fix. ill probably put a floor shift 3 speed in it, but if i come across a 5 speed i wont hesitate to put it in. i have a 5 speed out of a 92 in my 71 C10 that i drive daily. and the durant already has a hydraulic clutch, thanks to my grandpa i'll have to check on the ford you mentioned

The Durant Motors Automobile Club