Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Light cross reference info

Pass this on for anyone interested. I've been wondering if there is a cross reference book for fender / cowl light lenses. Recently there was a head light on Ebay the seller wasn't sure of. Lense was 28 - 30 Durant while rusty pot wasn't. In talking to her I mentioned some sellers seem to have cross reference books for lenses that might help her, but is there similar for our fender / cowl lights ? Loads of lenses on ebay but never the depress beam 3 x 2 3/ 4 #1179 used on 30 - 32 Durant / Frontenac's. Its like the entire fender light is unique to our cars only.

She sent me this to look at as a possible.

http://www.donsbulbs.com/cgi-bin/r/t.pl/library1937guide.html

Don't see the small lenses but does have some of the headlight ones we use. Our Canadian cars 31 / 32 use flat 11471 Depress Beam and it also mentions the convex 12887 that seems to be 1933 Durant 633. Both are 9 5/16 x 8 1/2.

Still no further ahead about the small ones. I do know they made convex ones 3 x 2 3/4 but for what application I have no idea. There was one of each in same sale on ebay 3 yrs ago.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan

Re: Light cross reference info

I believe that information is compiled in an earlier Durant Standard magazine that I was brouzing through the other day, as I recall there is about a 4 page chart...I will see If I have that issue here in Arizona.

Bill

Where Are You From? Leavenworth, WA / Yuma, AZ

Do You own a car built by Durant? A-22 Touring / Model 40 Coupe

Thanks Bill. Looking for one lense and 5 lense clips.

Welp, I did find that issue and it is a 3 page parts interchange- Durant, DeVaux, Flint, Frontenac,Star, Rugby (Head Lamps And Related Parts) However it is for head lamps and not Cowl and fender lights....I did scann this info to Rick and hopefully Rick will post this info to our tec page...

In regard to your fender light lense until you can find an original you might concider having someone " Extrude Mold" you a couple of sets from your good lense, they will look fine for a number of years then will start to yellow, you may also want to use a low CP bulb...I have had a set in my 31 Chrysler for close to 40 years now, however I do need to change them now.

Bill

Where Are You From? Leavenworth, WA / Yuma, AZ

Do You own a car built by Durant? A-22 Touring / Model 40 Coupe

Thanks Bill. Hopefully that info will get posted to tech pages for others.
Seems to me Gord mentioned others having problems finding the lenses and using frosted plastic instead. I can see the lights as being quite scarce with declining production and used on special or deluxe cars only. Plus the fact they are poorly made lights and the pots fall off easily, leaving only the light bulb stump on the fender. Probably why they offered the design as shown on the 618 in photo section, after 1935 in catalogues as replacement lights. Looks like a boat or truck running light.

The 35 parts catalogue indicates 407, 614 and 618 only in chrome with and without peaks and 407, 611, 614, 617 in black enamel. 617 one must be different as its listed by itself.

I did get four 3 inch lenses off ebay last year for about $2 each, I think are Glolite design. Must be jobbers with no identification but they are a hair to big to sit in the door opening properly. They orig had two small tabs to one side and one had broken off all 6 of the sellers lenses. No one bid on them so he put them up again and I thought maybe and bought four. I filed off the other tab. 3 x 2 3/4 must be 2 15/16 x 2 8/16 after cooling as the jobbers won't sit in the door opening.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club