Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Durant Radio ???

Hi All.....

Did any Durant product ever come with a factory radio?

Does anyone have one with an aftermarket radio?

My 619 has an antenna mounted on the cowl, but any radio is long gone.

I was able to find a super rare antenna for my cars on eBay. Now would like a radio to go along with it!

See YUNZ all in Lancaster.....Frank ---

Where Are You From? Hookstown, Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? 16 Durant & Star cars and a Durant-Dort buggy (one horse power)

Re: Durant Radio ???

Frank, I was able to find a super rare antennae for my '03 curved dash Oldsmobile on Ebay as well!

Where Are You From? Prescott,Arizona

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star touring

Frank,

My 29 had a radio in it when I dug it out of my uncle's garage in 2000, but it was from a 34 Ford, I think. It worked, so I put it on EBay and was shocked to find they are so valuable. Some Doctor from Houston, who collects old car radios, bought it for $825.00. I was able to do a lot of stuff with that $825.00!

Gary

ps. Based on what I know, Durants didn't come with radios, but with these cars there are always exceptions.

Where Are You From? Chatsworth California

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 Model 60 Roadster

Frank The 1933 Durant 633 has two holes on the cowl for a antenna. The car seems to be a repaint sometime before 10,000 miles and the original paint is around these holes. Steve Large mentioned to me that he had a flyer offering a factory installed radio on the 1933 Frontenacs....the 633 is from the same factory. I'm thinking that on this car a working/non-working radio was removed to make room for a heater (more desirable in Ontario).
I see side mount, red tip antennas on ebay all the time....what does an old antenna look like?

Where Are You From? Tucson

Do You own a car built by Durant? Durants

Frank, I remember seeing a Durant ad in the old registry newsletter that showed a fellow laying down in his Durant (equipped with the Pullman attachment), watching a television! They didn't show all the other necessary equipment that was outside the car. Sounds like something you'd see on 'Unique Whips' on Speedvision.

Where Are You From? orygun

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 6-14 standard coupe

Bob,
The earliest Auto radio Antennas that I have found were "wires" located in the "chicken wire" on the roof or under the running boards on the cars's side, shielded of course on the mounting points. Most were just simple "wires",similar to the ones used on the old "crystal set" radios (1930's to 50's)as antennas, or later more modern FM "antennas" popular for Stereo Receivers in the 60's. Just a length of wire, longer for better reception. The roof Chicken wire on Closed cars was actually a great receiver.

Hope this helps.
Lance C.

Where Are You From? Niceville Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 25 Locomobile JR-8 Brougham, 25 Loco JR-8 Sedan, 26 Loco JR-8 Roadster project, 30 Durant 610 Deluxe Sedan

That was all the rage in the 40 - 60's to hack a hole in the dash to add a radio or mount them off the bottom of dashboards. Much like the Happy Days TV series. Your right Lance, that chicken wire roof made a dandy antenna and you could use alligator clips for later hand held receivers needing an antenna.

Actually the 31 614 here, unfortunately since the 70's when it was sold, had a hole cut in the dashboard where the choke / throttle cables were and a radio installed with aerial attached to the splash apron. Other than that the car is mainly original and on road.

Goodness that brings back memory's "crystal set radios". We had a floor model in the dining room, late 40/ early 50's, and I can recall twisting the dial to get a good sound, as it rose and fell in noise until just right. Di and I have a combination record player, radio, tape player we bought new in the 70's, and it has a single wire for radio reception I have running up the wall in the living room.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan

Frank and everyone.
In 2008 I put the question of when the first radio was introduced in automobiles on the AACA forum. The responses I received indicated that most thought around 1929-1930 and only by aftermarket companies. These early radios required two additional batteries to be mounted on the vehicle. Antennas were run on the roof or under the running board and were usually just a piece of long wire coiled. Someone did mention that General Motors in some of their advertisements later in the 40's or 50's claimed credit for first putting a radio in a car in 1924 but because of the size and power requirements this is unlikely.

Where Are You From? Oviedo (near Orlando) Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 dr

As Bob mentioned, Steve in his searching out info about our cars found an ad that said the Standard Sedan 4 cylinder Frontenac comes radio equipped and that it converts into a sleeping car in only 3 minutes. Seems Steve discovered his 1933 C400 does convert to the Pullman feature, if I recall one of his emails correctly from the Spring. It seems to be a gray area if only late 1933 and early 1934 had the radio. If rest of 33 is an option also, then Bob's 633 may well have had one too, if more info about them can be found. Sounds like Bob found the aerial area has the orig paint still. Its now known, the final cars had a radio at least. This wasn't known before Steve's researching in Feb this year.

Lord yes Bob. Once I got Dot home I pulled out heater and heater hoses everywhere and it looked more like car again. There were two pipes with narrow ends for blowing hot air in front of driver and passenger area, behind the dash and up the windshield. Sort of a reverse of lifting the windshield used on 30 - 32 cars, to allow cool air to flow behind the dash and splash rain water on back of instruments, coil, wires, etc.

I checked the 35 and 38 catalogues and neither mentions radio which means nothing. Both leave out a lot of parts for 633, C400 and C600, as well as earlier models.

Hi All.....

Thanks for all the input.

Here is a picture of the antenna on my 619 sedan.

The radio is long gone........

Frank ---

Photobucket

Do You own a car built by Durant? 16 Durant & Star Cars & a Durant Dort carriage

Something that came to mind was Steve saying his C400 has a glove box and a fellow near Westport Ont has the missing glove door on the body of a C600. Could this hole be for a radio instead ? Looking at the only full C600 pics, I don't see any place on the dash for glove box or hole, yet the Westport body has one. No two cars alike, even at the end, ha ha.

No aerial's in the very few Continental pics I have inc the 34 Beacon.

Can't see in pics Bob sent, where the 633 has the cowl holes he mentions. Left or right side. Could yours be an after thought Frank in the 40's / 50's and wrong side for aerial ??

Here's the 31 614 added after mid 1970's.
Photobucket

Hi All...

Here are a couple pictures of Bob's car I took at Texarkana.

You can see the 2 holes for the antenna on the drivers side near the side mount.

Also notice there is no hole for a radio on the dash. Probably was an under dash mount, or even a 2 piece with the control unit mounted to the steering column.

Enjoy.....Frank ---

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Do You own a car built by Durant? 16 Durant & Star cars & a Durant Dort buggy (one horse power)

I recently purchased some various Star parts and included in the pile was this radio, reportedly removed from a 1926 Star "R".
It seems to fit nicely under the dash of my '27 "M". It is self contained with the speaker on the bottom and a provision to plug in an antenna .

Star Car Radio

Where Are You From? Texarkana, Tex

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star C touring, 1927 Star M coupe

Now there you go on Ebay. Seems to fit with Don's 26 / 27 Star radio then. An all orig 1928 Durant half ton with aerial 180433871664. And they only built Durant's for 5 years. Note they say ""HOWEVER THE BODY IS THE ORIGINAL "1928 DURANT" BODY"". Another rare bodied car with those side windows

Hello nephew normie, you sho' is observant. that body must be a cut up shortened sedan....nothing matches up...another man with a "fornicology" degree.....regards, gary k

Where Are You From? plymouth meeting, pa. u.s.a.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1931 6-14 4 dr. "coach" ; 1929 durant model 70 coupe ; 1925 star "F" roadster

I would like to clear the air about the information that I have concerning Radios in our family of vehicles. While researching for information on Durant Motors of Canada and Dominion Motors of Canada for a book I'm writing currently I came across several amazing and sometimes detailed unknown bits of information. This one in particular is from the Toronto Daily Star dated March 15, 1934 and reads as follows.

BRAND NEW FRONTENAC'S
FOURS - SIXES
We have obtained from Dominion Motors Limited their entire stock of Frontenac cars - 400 and 600 series. Since January 1st. 75% of these economical cars have been sold. The number remaining on hand is very limited so MAKE SURE OF YOURS NOW WHILE THEY LAST.

FOUR CYLINDER
RADIO EQUIPPED-Standard Sedan-4 cylinder economy
Convertible in 3 minutes to a sleeping car $598
Above model without radio .................. $575
Special Sedan .............................. $615

The rest of the ad mentions six cylinder car models and prices, but no mention of radio's or sleeping feature.
This ad was produced for RIVERDALE TIRE and AUTO EXCHANGE Ltd., which later in my research turned out to be a major FORD Dealership from the East End of Toronto. Now isn't that a kick in the pants, where the heck were the good old Chevy buddies when you need them. As for any other Durant vehicles, I haven't seen or read anything to date about radio's being installed. It is my opinion after checking on the other only known Frontenac C400 that they are different. It does not have the sleeping (pullman) feature as does mine and it has it's clove box door intact unlike mine, so in my best guesstimate I would suggest that the other Frontenac C400 is a 1933 and that my Frontenac C400 is a 1934 based on the items featured in the published ad from March 1934.
I will try and send this Ad along for posting either on the web page or as an item for the Magazine. Hope this info has added enlightenment and not confusion.

Where Are You From? Mississauga Ontario Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? Almost 1934 Frontenac C400

My 28 Durant D75 has a radio mounted under the dash and speaker with studs and nuts through the firewall. It has a wire screen in the headliner just above the wooden bows. I don't know if this was an original setup or not but someone may be able to shed some light on it.

Where Are You From? Hyattsville Md

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Hi Everyone. today while I was moveing things around in my shop, I found a box that has an old radio in it. The name of the radio is Star. This is the kind that has the controls that clamps on too the steering colmn, and the rest of the radio fits under the dash. Hope to install in the 27 R, after it repaired.

Where Are You From? sunny Cali-fornia

Do You own a car built by Durant? Sevaral Star cars

Hi Bert.....

Nice find!! A Star radio in a Star !

Be sure to get one of those rare antennas on eBay for that authentic look.

How about posting a picture of this radio?

Frank ---

Do You own a car built by Durant? 16 Durant & Star cars and a Durant-Dort buggy (one horse power)

Thought you lads might be interested in this. Tod's site has a lot of good info even if its not Durant.

Refer to the bottom of the page on roofs re radio's for 33 Plymouth's pre wired at factory. No reason our 33's weren't also the same way.

http://www.ply33.com/Repair/roof

The Durant Motors Automobile Club