Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
généalogy

Is it someone try to make a genealogy of is car?

Where Are You From? Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? Durant Star Coupé 1926 (M)

Re: généalogy

You mean a history of its owners ? Not sure how one does that, without talking to its owner and working back, if they will tell you or even know.

I was lucky with my chums 29 60 D and got all the owners back to the 1st. Took a bit of sloothing and asking. Had to chuckle as I had it back the second owner's widow so went and saw her. She wasn't sure but told me her 95 yr old aunt would know. She did.

The 31 614 D, I have it back to all but 1st name. I know area, he had a heart attack and died driving the car, it was sold by auction later, near Black Donald mine, but name ?? Can't come up with any item about an auction in the backwoods. Black Donald is now under Centennial Lake. Its church with statues is said to be under the lake still. Guess the Ford T I saw in the 60's, in front of the church before flooding, is there too.

In Dot's case I'm fairly confident she was always Brockville and area until I brought her to Ottawa. An envelope I found in Dots seat pocket, from Dominion Motor's, makes me fairly sure that is the orig owner. House and garage is still there in Brockville, but I can't get the present home owner to reply to my mails, if he has any knowledge of this person or next of kin. So I know 1st then gap to Covil's Auto Wrecking when last plated 1961 by them, and owner I bought her off of. Could well be the 1st sold Dot to Covil's. My wife's step father was still driving his 48 Dodge when we married 68 and it was a few years after that he sold it in the 70's.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan

Yes I mean history of its owners, I did a lot a genealogy in my life (people) I also enjoind history

Now I just bought an antique car, I would like to know
the history of the car. The seller of the car did not know informations about it , the seller had no papers of the car (just the car should came from Yukon.ca)
How can obtain those informations?

Henri Houle. Montreal Ca.

Henri,

I was able to trace the history of my Durant back to 1959. Back then, the car was owned by an eccentric old man who lived in the redwood forests of northern California. He had a strange habit of buying an old car and driving it for only 200 miles, then he parked it on his property only to rust away. He repeated that ritual until the day he died where his propriety was filled with cars. I was told that my little roadster was in very bad shape as the sun had burned away all of the chrome trim and mother nature had rotted away the upholstery, etc. When the estate was sold a middle aged couple that collected Packards took a liking to it and rescued it, then and fixed it up enough to drive in parades. Afterwards it spent most of its life, neglected in a warehouse until I bought it eight years ago. I have no history for it prior to 1959.

Rick

Where Are You From? Fremont, California USA

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 Model 60 Sport Roadster

I like that story.

I got real lucky with my 29 Durant Roadster. It was purchased at the Grand Ave Hudson / Durant dealership on Grand Ave and Main Street in Portland, Oregon by Thomas B. Phillips of Post, Oregon. I have the orgional title. He used it to go to local dances and pickup the ladies. When his dancing / lady days were over he put her in his barn and she sat until his nephew dug her out after Phillip's death in the 50's.

The nephew, J. E. Cisco of Oregon City,had no use for the car so he cleaned her up and sat her out in front of his house with a for sale sign in the window. My uncle, J.J. Warden who owned a towing company in Portland, drove by in his tow truck and fell in love with the little car and bought her on the spot. I have the bill of sale for $200.00.

Almost 50 years later, I bought the car shortly before my uncle had to move into a nursing home at age 84. My uncle was always going to fix up the car, but seemed to run out of time for a million reasons. During it's 80 years, the car has spent 90% of its life sitting in a barn, or garage waiting. She is the most patient female I've ever known.

Gary

Where Are You From? Chatsworth California

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 Model 60 Roadster

Hi Henry ..I'm not sure if DOT or MOT (whatever they are called now) for the Prov can supply us with the info. I seem to recall working on the 29 60 and I contacted Que DOT about it. My chum had the last Que plate from the 60's but no name. They required permission from the plated owner to give out that info. Well duh, if I had that, I wouldn't be asking them. In a good many instances the owner would be deceased and as it turned out he was but in Ont. One wonders at time about the intelligence of our Prov offices. It was a local lad outside Ottawa who put me onto another local lad, who knew everyone for miles around and he knew about the car and its owner moving a couple of times in the area and where the widow now was. The 1st lad turned up my orig 30 614 a few miles from him as he knew the son of the owner. Small world.

That's like getting info from the Fed's about OAS file when doing family history. Old Age Pension papers are confidential to the person living or dead, without their permission. Been there with the BC Fed's over a birth date. How does one get permission from a deceased family member who died in 1995 ? They refused the info but I got it another way.

I seem to think its a whole different thing in Ont with DOT. I know from registering Dot in my name they have two files. Somewhere along the way they changed the record keeping to a new system. I only caught wind of this when changing Dot over to me and the girl asked another girl which system had Dots previous info and how she should record me. Mine might be muddied up because of letter of VIN. Orig 1st letter was a J and somehow it got changed to an I and I had it changed back to the J. I don't know how it works with you, but in Ont you can request one of 3 plates. Regular every day plate, Historical Plate, or a period plate you pick up at flea market. DOT will check the period plate to be sure you can use it, so they must have files of who owned that plate and ones before and after that one. In other words, they know from day one the plate used on the car and what was next one, etc. It was yearly plates back then, until we went to one plate with yearly stickers in the corner's. (1967 ??) They won't allow you to have two plates on your car. Current or Historical and a period plate. A lot of guys do that anyway. I wasn't sure if my Historical Plates I bought in the early 70's and never on a car, were still good. Called DOT about it and yes still in my name, still usable, and I could eventually put those on Dorothy D.

You might want to check with Yukon DOT with any info you have to see if they have or will give out info to you. Perhaps they have some VIN way of tracing its history. If you've played with family history and trying to come up with names and dates, this will much the same with its frustrations. I know all too well, about that, and may never solve dad's 1st wife's info. Registrar General can't explain certifying two different named girls ,same year of birth and place, and different parent's names, as marrying dad the same place, church and date. I have both certifications and he only married once, before mum, but that's a different story to your DOT history..

I'd try a little networking to see if someone doesn't remember the car. While Yukon is a big place, there are only a few population centers like Whitehorse. Try finding a car nut in one and see if he/she has any ideas where to look. Search the internet for local chapters of National Clubs and contact someone there. On other matters, I've just called the Chamber of Commerce and asked if they know anyone who might know. Spread you net and who knows what you may find.

Where Are You From? San Francisco, CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star

Rick, your story seems a little like the one I heard about years ago. Farmer out in Richmond Ont bought a Ford T new and when he found out he had to put gas in it, it stayed were it stopped on his farm.

Henri, another very good source for things was a site called Paper of Record. Unfortunately it was bought by another site .. Google perhaps .. and I don't know what became of it. They were going to upgrade it and charge user fees. It caused quite a stink by geneo users after its sale to the new site.
It had newspapers from the Yukon, plus all over the place. Just put the name in you wanted, a time frame, and up came all items using that search word. Be it an ad or item. That was one source I used to try to track down the orig owner of the 31. I searched Perth Courier and a Renfrew paper, but no luck. Guess Black Donald was out of their range of readers. Brought up all sorts of Durant's for sale, etc from the 30's to 60's. I know it had Yukon papers as that was part of my search re dad's 1st wife's family and the gold rush. Humm here's the site I used and it seems now connected to Google and World Vital Records. http://www.paperofrecord.com/ I haven't tried to access anything as yet to see if the info is still there somewhere. Its just another idea.
Ah, Google side seems limited but loads of Billy Durant but Paper of Record is under the other www.worldvitalrecords.com Not sure how much of the orig site is there. Might have known they want $$ to look. Pity as the orig site was free.

I guess I got lucky, my great grandfather bought it new.

Where Are You From? Russell Ont.

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes 1922 A-22

The Durant Motors Automobile Club