Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
wood

What kind of wood is used in cabin frame and floor?

Where Are You From? Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? Durant Star Coupster 1926 (M)

Re: wood

Henri
Mostly oak was used in the wood work of the cars but some are using ash. I would say that any good hard wood would work -but some are harder to work with than others. I have used oak in mine. Have you joined our great club yet. It is well worth while just for all the expertize there is out there.
Ken

Where Are You From? Kamloops B C Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 durant model 614-Deluxe rumble seat coupe

Thank you for your help Ken.

I would like to join the club ,but it seems to be complicated . I do not understand the procedure.

Henri,

Send me your mailing address and will mail you an application and sample copy of our magazine.

Rick Botti

Where Are You From? Fremont, California USA

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 model 60

I was told by a lad who's restored a few cars, Ash is best for number of nails we have to use. Maple / Oak tend to split etc and the Ash doesn't.

Having said that I'm not sure we can get Ash readily now, thanks to the Ash beetle. In an effort to slow the beetle down, Ottawa imposed a ban and fine for any cut Ash trees in Ottawa from being taken out of Ottawa or any wood being brought in. Ash wood has to be taken to a designated site for destroying. It might be the same in other cities.

The 1930 614 brochure says in part " The strength of steel, combined with the strength and cushioning effect of select oak and maple, makes this body sturdy and eliminates distracting body noises."

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan

Thank for your help.

Since i am a mechanic, I did work with ash in my house
door ,door frame ect.

P.S. I am from Montreal , not far away from Ottawa.

"eliminates distracting body noises." Humm I hope that means the vehicle. Could power the 32 with natural gas.

I haven't looked into country saw mills about ash as yet. I'm sure a few are still cutting boards.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan

The Durant Motors Automobile Club