Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Paint Chips

I have been trying to find information on the tan/brown color on my dad car. I have copies of the chips that are listed in the tech page for 1929. Its not one of them. Do you know what other colors were used? I have Mimax (PPG)chips and paint color combination ( upper ,lower,stripe color) and mixing formulas for all 30-32 models. It may be from aging. They don't match his original paint either. I tried the Auto Color Library and no luck there either. PS on the Durant tech page. You list Toronto Red as a mistake. My book lists Toronto Red as a Durant color and Toranto Red as a Hudson color.The Durant color is slightly darker.Warren

Where Are You From? Boston ,NY (Buffalo area)

Do You own a car built by Durant? My Dad has a 1929 6-66 Coupe

Re: Paint Chips

I looked at my 30 - 32 Ditz-Lac Intermix System, pages, which of course don't have pre 30 to help you. Thought perhaps another tan might show up.
My pages don't match the teck page ones and seem to have a few more colours, like Oneida Gray, Trylon Blue, Colorado Gray, Clanricarde Green, Ostend Blue, Talina Brown, Brazilian Brown, Black, Cats Eye Gray, etc, as a few. The Ditz-Lac breaks it down into models, upper / lower / strip and on the additional colour's, the wheels as well.

Looking again, I see Acme Lead on Teck page has colours Ditz-Lac doesn't. Have to be like Ford who said you can have any colour, providing its black, grin.

I'll try sending it to Rick if he wants to add this to teck page. My printer doesn't do a very good job of copying.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan

I believe the Ditz-lac is the same as the Mimax book I have. Mine says it was part of PPG ,and Ditzler is also PPG. How they are exactly related ,I can only guess.We may get lucky and find some different info if compared. If someone will give me an address ,I will send a photocopy of my chart to compare them. There are only 15 mixing colors,and most look like something Rustoleom would be selling (very plain solid colors)Very easy to mix the Durant colors from these colors . What I was hoping to find is a chart like this 30-32 chart for 29 coupe with a black upper and tan/brown lower color. The newer coupe combination is two shades of brown.
I also noticed that some colors like Coolie Blue that is mentioned in the factory letter (on tech page) Are listed as Hupp colors for 29-30. Does anyone know of such a connection?Warren

Where Are You From? Boston ,NY (Buffalo area)

Do You own a car built by Durant? My Dad has a 1929 6-66 Coupe

I have gone through your agony in trying to exactly replicate the original colors on my 1925 Chrysler Six Phaeton. Luckily, I found one spot covered by a hood cleat to give me the tan color that had not been sun bleached or weathered, Chicle Drab for the lower body of the car, which turned out to be the exact color 1947 Chevrolet used. The upper color, called Copra Drab, which had to be mixed from a 1951 Studebaker color, which was taken from a pair of 1926 Chrysler Roadster bullet headlamps that had been stored from 1926 in the basement of a man's home. He had rolled and totalled out his new 1926 Chrysler Roadster and saved these head lamps from the wrecked car. They were in new condition, just dirty, but the color was fresh and accurate. The result in using this proper scheme is remarkable, but scared the shorts off of me when I saw the tan, first painted on, then the Chicle Drab above the belt line, which is sort of an olive gray green. The two looked horrible until the black bead line was painted between them. Never in these 39 years, have I heard anything but compliments on this color scheme, which was Chrysler's original color scheme for Phaeton and Roadster. The standard color for touring cars and phaeton too was marine blue, and this may have been a very proper color at the time, but the car just disappeared with marine blue and black fenders and aprons. This is the scheme on the Harrah car at the American Automobile Museum in Reno. They provided me the formula for marine blue. Selecting the right color will make your car stand out or be just another vehicle parked in a display or car show! Be sure to make the right choice. I originally painted my car marine blue and was so disappointed with it. You can enter 1925 Chrysler Six Phaeton into internet search, and see my car in "The Fredrickson Classics Presents". My 1955 Chrysler Windsor Newport is shown here too!

Jim

Where Are You From? Seattle

Do You own a car built by Durant? No

During my research on the Durant family of vehicles I have come across many details and bits of info on several topics and paint chips being one of them. I know the club has some sparce info and I had forwarded my findings some time ago but never saw it published and left it at that. However I dug through my older files and found the following which might help answer your question. Unfortunatly colors only for the years 1930 - 1931 go into detail about upper body, lower body and accent stripe colors, but when reading back through some of the old Durant publications a reference is made that a variety of color combinations were available for 1930, but fenders would continue to be painted black on all production with exception being Deluxe Touring (Phaeton) where the fenders are to be same color as the body moulding. The Tan colors used in 1930 were LOWER BODY - Alhambra Tan (IM-908) and UPPER BODY - Alahmbra Tan Deep (IM-233) and accent STRIPE - Cream or Green. There is also a different Colour schem used on 1929 Canadian Cars which is on the Club site under Bulletins, released by Durant Motors of Canada March 15th 1929. The only printed matter I have on 1929 Durant Motors Colors comes from Acme White Lead and Color Works, Detroit Mich. which makes only one reference to 1929 Alhambra Tan, but it dosen't tell which Alhambra Tan is used (IM-233) which is the Deep Tan or the (IM-908) which is the lighter Alhambra Tan.
These IM numbers are visible on the AutoColorLibrary site. Hope I have been of help on this subject for you.

Where Are You From? Mississauga Ontario Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? almost 1934 Frontenac C400

Is their any body color information/color charts out there that are specific to our "pre 1929" Durants? I am looking for the names and colors used in 1928. If so, it would be great to have a copy sent to Rick also and he could list it on the Tech Page.

Where Are You From? Hyattsville Md

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

The Durant Motors Automobile Club