Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Wheel and 16 inch Tire from ? Durant 1928?

I have 2 wheels from a ? 1928 Durant Truck?
One wheel is in good shape. Wires, small Durant Grease caps were on wheels until a neighbour? stole them from our work bench. Sicko!
One wheel needs welding, as it was dragged on a flat tire by a neighbour.

The tires are 6.00 inches wide on a 16 inch Rim.

Wheels have been hacksawed off the axle which we still have. The wheels were welded to the axle so they would not turn as they were used on a hauling trailer.

Any one know what wire wheels are off of really?

Any Good Offers for the wheels and axle?

You will have to pick them up in Ottawa Canada, as we will not deliver.

Where Are You From? Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? No

Re: Wheel and 16 inch Tire from ? Durant 1928?

Ah ha Catt .. more info regarding the wheel / tire size per our emails. So the wheels were welded to the wood wheel hubs as I suggested and why the Durant hub caps remained to grease the bearings. Hub opening is 5 1/2 inches for the cap. 5 bolt wires, with 32 spokes and not Durant, Rugby, Frontenac, size. I suspect mid 30's wheels as I said. Valve stem hole cut in the side of the rim.

Anyone know what car used 16 inch and approx year? Looking in Mac's Ford parts a 6.00 x 16 inch tire fits 1935 to 1948 Ford which are 5 bolt, as I suspected so well past any Durant Motors / Dominion Motors vehicles.

Photobucket
Photobucket

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan

Hi All....

Looks Ford to me. Is bolt circle 5 1/2 inch?

Common Ford wheel was often used as a replacement on the Model A to use 16" tires.

Frank ---

Where Are You From? Hookstown, Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? 16 Durant & Star cars & a Durant Dort buggy (one horse power)

1935-36 ford to be more exact....

Where Are You From? plymouth meeting, pa. u.s.a.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1931 6-14 4 dr. "coach" ; 1929 durant model 70 coupe ; 1925 star "F" roadster

Hi Unc Gary .. bet you bought one brand new. 35 /36 Ford I mean.
At least Frank called them "common Ford", like Fords are. Scrap metal waiting to be turned into something useful like, bed pans and such.

Hard to tell Frank from the pic's, but must be close. Ah reread Catt's email again. 5 1/2 inch diameter through the center of the holes. Would have been interesting to see the screw on caps to help pin point the year of caps, hubs and axle.

The axle was solid metal not wood. Never heard of welding anything to wood?

Looks like a 35 Ford wheel. Quite popular for hotrodders. I've got them on my 31 Pickup. 1935 Ford was only spoked wheel with 16 inch rims (for US, anyway). Ford may have been the only brand to use straight spokes. Had a method of welding them tight. Other brands had bent spokes and or nipples on the ends.

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

Thanks to you helpful folks for identifying the 1935 Ford Wheels for me. I wasn't born in those days, but have ridden in a GMC Rumble seat Car. 11 little kids got rides home from School, in the car and the rumble seat one day.

Yes the grease caps were screw on with the full name of Durant on the exterior.

Didn't say the axle was wood. Wood spoke wheels have metal hubs and you told me the spindles / kingpins were welded so they wouldn't turn .. here's your words .. Someone had welded the king pins so the wheels would not swivel. That's how the grease cap's (hub cap's)could still be on the hubs with Ford wheel welded to the hub.
They did all sorts of things to adapt other parts ,in the past. Told you about changing 28 / 29 Chevy wood spoke wheels on their Chevy axle to use 28 / 29 Ford wire wheels, for my brother's trailer. They interchanged no problem in this case. Someone just got more creative with these Ford wheels and Durant hubs and axle.

Hopefully Colin will contact you to put the info in EOVAR and CCA papers here.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club