Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Durant Advertising - Lantern Slides

The picture at the top of the forum was scanned from a 1920’s lantern slide. These slides were shown in movie theaters at the beginning of a film as Durant advertising. I guess it shows that those adverting slides we see today are nothing new. In the case of this slide there was a dealer name at the bottom, that has been cropped out. But the dealer was Diamondville Garage, Diamondville, Wyo.

My question is, can you identify the cars and building in this picture?

Rick

Where Are You From? Fremont, California USA

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 Model 60 Sport Roadster

Re: Durant Advertising - Lantern Slides

The one on the left is a Star F model and the car in the front is a Durant. Not sure if it is a 4 or 6. The years are probably 1924-25.

Where Are You From? Texarkana, Tex

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star C touring, 1927 Star M coupe

The car on the right is a Durant four (five lug wheel), probably early 1923...as it is not a sport model, no trunk, step plates or disc wheels. These were available when the sport models debutted in 1923.
Unless the car on the right has corners on its radiator shell, it is a front veiw of the Durant four also. That is what the slide is selling. Looks like a rail station, in Great Neck??

Where Are You From? Tucson

Do You own a car built by Durant? Durants

I'm thinking the car in the front is a Durant because of the five lug rims. I don't think Star ever built a car with five lugs on the wheels.

Bob, if the A-22 used five lugs, what did the 6 cyl use?

Where Are You From? Texarkana, Tex

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star C touring, 1927 Star M coupe

My omission, I should have mentioned that the ad is for Durant. I will post a link to a higher resolution image tonight when I get home. Yes, it appears to have been taken I Great Neck, NY. I wonder it that building still stands?

Rick

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 model 60

Here is the full lantern slide. it is big to show detail.

http://pub24.bravenet.com/photocenter/viewimg.php?usernum=2014460939&show=04DA733AFE.jpg

Rick

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 durant Model 60 Sport Roadster

Don .. Terry's site shows B22 as 6 lug wheels. Perhaps since Stars were 4 bangers they only had the 5 lugs like the A22 ?

And what's the car behind the Star, for you real sleuths ?

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan

The Star on the left would be an early 1924 as it has a black grill shell. Nickel was used mid to late 1924. There is a town on Long Island, New York named Great Neck. The Long Island Railroad did go thru this town. Could be the Great Neck station?

Where Are You From? Scituate, RI

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1924 Star F Touring, 1923 Star C Speedster, 1920 Dort Roadster

The Durant 6 (B-22) and the Sheridan (another Muncie product) had the 6 lug wheel... 4 1/2 x 33" tires. If you go to the picture section and bring up Ken Brinks 1923 A-22 you will see the same car and the front page to a Durant Standard that show the car as a Sport model (trunk, step plates, nickeled radiator shell).
Both cars are Durant A-22 STANDARD sedans (early 1923). Lansing also producted Durant A-22 with 4 bolt wheels (I have a set), the Star 4 bolt wheels had some differences from the Durant 4 bolt also.
The rule, the bigger ($$) the car the more bolts on the wheel....unless they had to use some else.

Where Are You From? Tucson

Do You own a car built by Durant? Durants

It seems to me that some cars had 10 spoke wheels, and others used 12 spokes. The bolts would have to go through the joints between spokes. Thus 10 spoke wheels would need 5 bolts or rivets. The others would need something divisible into 12, thus 4 or 6. Lighter cars use thin spindle spokes, thus room for 12.

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

Here ia another lantern slide. The car is a Durant four Coupe.

http://photos.bravenet.com/201/446/093/9/1B910597CE.jpg

Neato Rick, can you make a mini WAV movie out of these slides?

Where Are You From? Kent Wa

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Durant

Maybe, I will have to clean hem up a little first.
I think I just may rescan all of them first.

Rick

The Winter issue of the Durant Partner will have an article about these lantern slides courtesy of Dave Schulte...stay tuned!

Where Are You From? Southern VT

Do You own a car built by Durant? many

oops forgot to add a link about the Great Neck NY railroad. Larry and I used to live near Great Neck.
"In 1903 the station was renamed Great Neck. A wood-frame station stop was built in 1883, renovated on 1893, and replaced with the present station in 1924."
check out this info:
http://www.greatneckplaza.net/historic/vsurvey.php?p=lirr

cant get the link to read right.. Google great neck NY 1924 and it should appear.

Where Are You From? Southern VT

Do You own a car built by Durant? many

The Durant Motors Automobile Club