Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Spare tire sidemounts

I really like the looks of John Baroldi's 1924 STAR Deluxe Roadster on the back cover of the Fall issue of the Durant Partner. One thing that caught my eye was how great the side mounted spare tire looked. My question is this; Did Durant offer this as an option on the STARs?(as opposed to mounting them on the rear?). Was it common to do this? Were there special fenders to accept the spares(or were they modified). Did they come equipped with both rear mounted AND side mounted? How about dual side mounts? Were other models (touring, coupes,etc.) set up like this? I would appreciate all opinions!

Where Are You From? Prescott,Arizona

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star touring

Re: Spare tire sidemounts

hello,
my 1925 star doesn't have side mounts....just wood spoked wheels and a rear spare...gary k

Where Are You From? plymouth meeting, pa. u.s.a.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1931 6-14 4 dr. "coach" ; 1929 durant model 70 coupe ; 1925 star "F" roadster

Hey Gary, My '25 Star tourer doesn't either and I don't remember seeing others. So my questions still stand. Other opinions?

Where Are You From? Prescott,Arizona

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star touring

Hi All....

My 1924 parts book for the Model F does not list a front fender with well. Neither does the Parts book for the Model M & R Star....So the mystery continues.

The "Convertible" roadsters had a provision for moving the spare tire from the rear to the running board.

Not too difficult to modify front fenders, the 614 sedan I got from Gary has the front fenders modified for dual side mounts. They used Model A Ford wells. Only problem is they used Star wooden spoke wheels for the side mounts. Complete with Star hub caps. No way they will work on a 1930 Durant.

See YUNZ all in Lancaster......

Frank ---

Where Are You From? Hookstown, Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? 16 Durant & Star cars & a Durant Dort buggy (one horse power)

The Durant Motors Automobile Club