Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Radiator Question

Has anyone in the club had luck with a company to make a new or repair the old radiators on our cars? Mine is a Fedders for the model 65 and is a bit larger than the standard M-2 or 55 of the period. Can't swap it out, but need this one fixed or have a new one made. Local radiator shops won't touch them since it is the type that isn't made anymore. Heard about the Brassworks and American Honeycomb radiator in Maine. Anybody used them?

Where Are You From? Oviedo (near Orlando) Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 dr

Re: Radiator Question

Mike,

The expensive option is to buy new honeycomb core and replace the old. The price on that stuff goes up and down daily, just like the stock market. But it will have the original look and from what I’m told work better than the old stuff.

You can have a local shop replace the old core with a modern core. Lance had a shop slice the old honeycomb like cheese and place it on the front, thereby giving an original look and saving a lot of money.

A local shop I use replaced my old core with new one that was designed as a better than stock replacement for the Model A Ford. No honeycomb but looks good and runs cool. The trick is shaping the shoulders, but my shop had someone cut and solder the top corners so that it fit the radiator shell perfectly.

Rick

Where Are You From? Fremont, California USA

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 model 60

hello mike
i know its along ways but theres a shop here in so calif that can replace the original honeycomb with a new one,ive talked to him several times and supposidly they look the same as original,its called associated radiator,ask for steve hart an there number is 626 967 7341

Where Are You From? co cal

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1931 devaux, 1932 devaux

there is a company that sells a rad grille insert that is a racing stone guard...it has beehive cell shaped holes andm can be cut to any size.and placed in front of the radiator .i thought it was speedway but i will try to find the ad i cut out...more later....

Where Are You From? plymouth meeting, pa. u.s.a.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1931 6-14 4 dr. "coach" ; 1929 durant model 70 coupe ; 1925 star "F" roadster

Mike ... Cumberland museum had the core replaced with the honeycomb type on their 1929 - 40. Won't get into to much of the horror show with that rad shop here over that, with over two years, lots of money and still a mess to be properly fixed elseware. I seem to think the core came from Maine. Dave would be able to tell you that. I know talking to the same rad place, before I took Dot's away from them and fixed it ourselves, if they couldn't get the 40's fixed correctly in the US, next step was to send it to England as a last resort. Dave took it away from the rad place and had it correctly fixed near Trenton Ont at a place advertised in Old Auto's.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan

I spoke with the guy from American Honeycomb Radiator in Maine and he advised for me to take pictures of my radiator and measure the core and send them to him and he can give me a rough estimate in repair. So this weekend I'll do just that. There was a thread on the AACA forum about repairing these and other type of older radiators. According to one individual all the core material comes from England and these companies here do the repair and rebuild. Don't know if he knows what he's talking about though. Seems the two major companies advertised and used by most pre-war is The Brassworks in I believe California and many recommend this guy in Maine. Since I'm going to show this car and I want it restored back to 100% original as possible I will have to have it fixed as original. I cannot have a new core in the middle with just the outer fins the old style. Will not pass AACA Judging that way. I'll keep everyone posted on what I find out.

Hi Mike.....

Check out "The Filling Station" in Oregon. They are a provider of antique Chevy parts. They advertise they will make any Honeycomb rad core.

Here is a link to the catalog page.

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll?parta~partsort

Hope this helps.....Frank ---

Where Are You From? Hookstown, Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? 16 Durant & Star cars and a Durant-Dort buggy (one horse power)

Yes, all of the honeycomb cores come from England. Who else would hold on to that old equipment? They offer multiple types of honeycomb patterns.

I shipped mine to England and had it redone there. They even agreed to send out the neck and have it replated. It came back very nice but the whole thing was shockingly expensive. Shipping alone was $150 one way.

Later, I found the add for the Filing Station mentioned above. Their quoted price on the core would have cut my cost by more than half.

So, I'd say you either get a core from the Filing Station and have a local guy solder the tank on or use one of the vendors that offer to do the whole work.

Good luck! Let us know how things work out.

Where Are You From? San Francisco, CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star

My latest quest for a radiator repair/restoration has now taken me to England. I've searched hi and low and so far the guy in Main is way to hi. Costs and arm and a leg. Seems most companies get their cores from the UK anyway and then add some to it. I have had a response from the Filling Station, but he now has me confused. My radiator is a Feddors and is a bit longer than the other 1928 radiator by about 2" it too is a Feddors. The Filling Station responded and said according to their book the radiator should be a Harrison made tank. I thought most of our radiators for 1928 & 29 were Feddors. Am I right?

Hi Mike, My Durant model 65 also has a Fedders radiator on it. If you need any sizes let ne know.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant, 1923Star

I was told that the brassworks just finished restoring a 1930 Durant radiator. Anybody in the club have it done?

I had the same problem on the M2 I just finished and took it to a local shop kept it 6 weeks put in a modern core and charged me $1600. In Nov. I went to a auto show in lv, nv and talk to 4 or 5 radiator companys they said I paid for it twice. I was told they could biuld a new rad for half that amount. Call MAC"s Radiators in Portland, Or @ 800-452-0579 or 503-416-6781 ask for SAM. Brice Thomas Radiator in Alabama @ 256-546-4613 or 800-223-4299 and ask for Chris Culp. Good luck Don

Where Are You From? Utah

Do You own a car built by Durant? M4 1929

Six weeks ..you got lucky. As I mentioned in Oct, Cumberland museum was over $2000 and 2 years of messing it up. Attaching the side arms backwards, pushing the neck down (must have dropped it), new core that leaked etc etc. Finally taken away from the rad shop and done correctly down Trenton way. I took the 32's to the same shop before I knew this and was told it needed a new core. Have to take the tanks off and ship them to southern Ont for estimate of cost. If I didn't like the quote I paid shipping, and got the two tanks and core back in 3 pieces. Estimate cost $1800 unseen. Said nuts to you and brought it home. Wasn't the core at all, just seam leaks on the tanks.

i have a star durant radiator w/emblem for sale check my space link or email me

Where Are You From? reno

Do You own a car built by Durant? no

speedway has the honeycomb rock guard...seems a better price idea....

Where Are You From? PENNA.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1931 DURANT 6-14 COACH ; 1925 STAR F ROADSTER

Warning, Warning,Warning
Be very aware of Honeycomb Radiator shops in England! I talked awhile back to a classic Locomobile collector who mentioned a friend in the Rolls Royce club who had a Honeycomb radiator repaired overthere in a shop that was supposed to be "very good".

They charged his friend about $2500 (I think) and when he received it back the work was done poorly, he complained and they said ship it back for repairs (shipping and repair costs to him).

He got the Radiator back (at similar cost; another $2500??)in worse shape! He was outraged but was told that was it. He put a page into the Rolls Royce club magazine defaming this company which the Rad shop said they would sue about.

However when the facts were out, the article stood and the suit was dropped, BUT he was out all money spent ($$$$) and still had a BAD radiator! I was told Be Very wary of those repair shops overthere, and to Read the full story in the RR Club news magazine.

Lance C.

Where Are You From? Niceville Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 28 Locomobile 8-70, 25 Loco JR-8 Brougham, 26 Loco JR-8 Sedan, and JR-8 Roadster project, 30 Durant 610 Deluxe Sedan

Guys I haven't done it yet, but I plan on giving the Brassworks in Southern California a try on the radiator repair or construction. I want a 100% original style radiator that will pass AACA Judge examination. I am a Judge with AACA and know what they will look for. A Modern core will not work. I've done quite a bit of research and all the radiator construction companies here in the U.S. and New Zealand, Australia etc seem to get their material or cores from the U.K. I'd rather have someone here do it if possible rather than pay high shipping costs over to there.

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65

Here are two more suggestions.

http://www.maineradiator.com/jaz_mar_antique_frame.html

Maine Auto Radiator
PO Box 1916
14 Forrestal St.
Lewiston, Maine 04241-1916
207 784-0189

American Honeycomb Manufacturing
171 Highway 34
Homdel, NJ 07733
718 948-7772

i called american honeycomb and number is not in service....gary

I also found out the man at American died...it is no
longer in business....however, as u know all honeycombs come from england and that is if and when they get here and if they arrive undamaged....at great cost of course...if comb is bad, good luck fixing it...usually only seam work may be successful.
you can fake it with a cutoff of front layer and place regular rad behind it but only looks right from the front....and then speedways mudguard honeycomb..???? so, time to refinance your home and get the Mrs. a second job.....good luck, gary k

Here is another lead.
I called and they are in business.

Chuck & Lisa Niles
American Honeycomb Radiator
885 Litchfield Road
Bowdoin, ME 04287-7001

(207) 666-8111

I contacted the Maine Radiator about a year ago. He quoted me about $2,500 to make a new radiator for me. Brassworks was much cheaper. I'm going to give them a try first.

Mike .. I think Maine was the same place Cumberland Museum was mixed up in with Capital Rad here. Neither place is any place you would want to deal with. Capital to Maine, and back and forth a few times and still wrong with leaks. Next step was Maine to send it to Eng if it wasn't solved. This went on for two years and finally Dave took the rad away from Capital, after they dropped it on its neck and pushed the neck into the top tank so the cap wouldn't screw on. Capital also soldered the side arms on backwards. Dave as I mentioned above, took the rad to above Trenton and the lad there fixed it all correctly and pulled the neck back up. I can't give you the name but he advertised in Old Auto's. The 40 is now running around the museum grounds in the summer, after a few other fix ups.

My neighbour up the street just dropped off a bunch of Old Autos papers and here's that place.

EDJ Radiator Inc
Antique and Custom Radiators
964 Will Johnson Rd
RR1
Frankford Ont, K0K 2C0

613-398-7699
Don Graham

edj.rad56@yahoo.ca

Hi folks:

I can recommend Don Graham. I have taken several rads to the Grahams over the last 40 years. At one time, Don's dad had a rad shop in the north end of Toronto. Dad has now gone and Don has moved to Frankford. If anyone can fix it, Don can. and at a reasonable price.

Gord

Where Are You From? Guelph, Ontario, Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 Frontenac

Hi, I do agree with Gord and Norm. Don really knows what he is doing when it comes to repairing Rads. If it can be fixed he can do the job.

Mike

Where Are You From? Ontario Canada

The Durant Motors Automobile Club