Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Fenders

I am looking to find a set of fenders for this car that are in better shape than mine.These are pretty rough. Been welded by a real amateur and they are pretty bad.If I can get some in fair shape it would make my body work a lot easier . Long as the price is right I am interested.
Ken

Where Are You From? Kamloops B C Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Durant-Model 614 Deluxe rumble seat coupe

Re: Fenders

Hi Ken .. me also. Passenger front has big patch welded over the top and beading for a rust out. Driver rear has nothing left from what was visible, after we removed it. Surprised that fender didn't fall off as we brought Dot home. I knew about the tail light stanchion hole but didn't realize there was no fender after it meets the body. Actually the car is hole from under the back door part way up the curve and right across the fender area. If the uphostery wasn't there you could watch the road go by. Yet the wood is like iron still. I can't understand that.

Think Jim Hall has front surface rust fenders off a 1930. I believe my pc has deleted my floppy of all saved pics of D items inc Jim Halls fender pic, sigh.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan

I guess no one has any spare fenders. Looks like I will be doing a lot of body work . I am the worlds worst . Maybe I can find some poor soul to do it for me. I would sure like to find some fenders in half decent shape though.
Ken

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 durant - model 614 - deluxe rumble seat coupe

Perhaps you could put Ford A fenders on the old girl. At least you could get new A ones from George Moir in the Prairies, ha ha.
Yes I seem to have the same luck you are having. I thought I had place lined up to make me a new gas tank plus any body / fender work (and Dot needs that)this spring. Learned from another source why I wasn't getting calls back about the gas tank. Lad ran the welding shop into the ground and father has taken it back. The lad did quite a bit of rod building for folks but the welding got sloppy for some reason, and clients weren't happy.

After I got the new tank I was going to take Dot's fenders to him one by one to have him fabricate what once was fender and now is air, on that rear drivers fender. Back to square one to get tank fixed etc. Even the local garage who deal with customers daily, and his sons with older cars in the 60's, have no idea where to get gas tanks fixed now. Guess its a thing of the past with the Govm't trying remove cars off the roads over 10 - 15 yrs old. Now you just buy a new tank. Ain't an option with our cars. Maybe I could borrow your moose to drag Dot on the roads. Oops forgot you put that in the freezer.

It seems my my floppy is toast with D info and Jim Hall's pic of his 30 fenders. I can't get it to open with this pc. Should have made a back up copy.

Norm
I had a new tank built by an outfit here. Cost a lot but I needed it. I am happy with the tank but not with the guy that did the job. He quoted me a price of 350 +/- and when I went to pick it up gave me a bill for 1100 . I of course yelled. he came down to 700 but still a lot more than I expected. I can get him to make you one if you want the shipping cost as well . Would have to have the old tank for a pattern too. Any good sheet metal shop should be able to make one.
Ken

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Durant Model 614 Deluxe rumble seat coupe

hey normie, the guy who makes hoods for any car....in nj i think, name begins with r i think...he advertizes making repro gas tanks for other cars and names durant on his experience list...cannot think of name but he is reputable and known to antiquers ..is it rockhill or something like that...will let you know as soon as i remember name..uncle gary

Where Are You From? plymouth meeting, pa. u.s.a.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1931 6-14 4 dr. "coach" ; 1929 durant model 70 coupe ; 1925 star "F" roadster

okay nephew,
brain has rebooted...try ROOTLIEB co, in texas, usa
...they make hoods, tanks and i think rebuild fenders...or make them....hope that helps....uncle gary k

Where Are You From? plymouth meeting, pa. u.s.a.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1931 6-14 4 dr. "coach" ; 1929 durant model 70 coupe ; 1925 star "F" roadster

HELLO IF YOU NEED REAR FENDERS HOODS ETC BUILT THERES A GUY IN SEQUIM WASHINGTON THAT CAN MAKE ANY THING YOU MAY NEED,HE DOES STREET RODS AN SOME ANTIQUES,HAS A COMPLETE METAL FAB SHOP IN HIS WORKSHOP AT HOME,I DONT KNOW IF HE MAKES FRT FENDERS BUT IS QUITE CAPABLE
HIS NAME IS JIM LANGAN AN EMAIL IS JMLNGN@YAHOO.COM
DAVE

Where Are You From? SO CALIF

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1931 DEVAUX

Ken Well we all know that anything can be repaired or remade, but it would be hard to drive the car with only one arm and leg, since the bodyman would have taken one of each! Do what I had to do and find a mentor or some good books that you can use to do it yourself. The fenders are pretty heavy gauge metal, so you can beat on them.

Where Are You From? orygun

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 6-14 standard coupe

Humm maybe Ross will switch fenders with you Ken. Both of you have same fendered coups. Actually 407, 611, 614, 617, 618 front fenders are same 30 - 32 without wheel well. With well it seems after serial number B4269 (614)or F1368 (618)they are different for some reason.

Re: Gas tank

Hi Norm

We just had 2 tanks made from Don's radiator 3220 12th.ave north lethbridge a.b.403-329-6969 fax#403-329-3919 and he does a beautiful job,around 400.00 he also done me a new rad,also a beautiful job.(very fussy)He took over a family buss.Great guy,just ask for don.He also does work for george moir as well.

Hope this helps you

bob-o

Where Are You From? Alberta, Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

Re: Gas tank

Thanks Bob. I'll jot all these places down. I think there is someone in Cornwall Ont that might also be a thought. Andrew Libbey who makes metal art work. Camper at the trailer park gave me a section of Cornwall's paper which reads in part ... By day, Libbey age 39, runs his own business, MF Chassisworks, which specializes in sheet metal fabrication. He'll make "anything you can't buy", he does antique car repairs, customizes late model vehicles.

Problem is, do I need a new tank or is the present one still solid, except for two holes. Dot must been winter driven, and here we dump salt on the roads likes its water, cars turn white in a matter of days. You'd think car manufacturers were supplying the salt to hasten demise to sell you new ones. What am I saying, Dot was winter driven as I removed the heater and hoses / vent pipes everywhere. One small hole, size of a quarter, is top of tank drivers side where the tire would have thrown the salt. I'm sure that could be patched. The other is where the passenger side strap goes under the tank. Filling the tank with water it doesn't leak there, I guess 40 plus years old gas is thinner. Sure didn't smell like fresh gas does. Skunk spray is like a fragrant odor compared to that stuff. Other than that you can bang it all over without denting it. Its just no one here now touches gas tanks. More Govmt enviro problems, plus I think, our Govmt trying to rid the roads of cars 10 -15 yrs old and older. One province won't even allow you to bring old or vintage cars into the province, I heard. So there's no demand to generate business to keep fixing rads and gas tanks. Just buy a new one.

The shop that said they would make me a tank for under $300, used to clean and fix gas tanks as well, but it was too much hassle from the G boys to continue. They still had the sink in the back of the shop.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club